FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New York

synapse
I recently went on honeymoon to New York. The best city in the world and I strongly recomend people to go there!!

Laughing
agustin
Oh thats great! I would love to go there! Beautifull city eh?
tennispro9911
When you are talking about New York, I assume you mean upstate new york? like around Binghamton that is a small city surrounded by farms. People always assume New York means New York City while New York means New York state which is a decently large state with the majority of the population not living in NYC.
MRaftery
tennispro9911 wrote:
When you are talking about New York, I assume you mean upstate new york? like around Binghamton that is a small city surrounded by farms. People always assume New York means New York City while New York means New York state which is a decently large state with the majority of the population not living in NYC.

That's a mistake I always make. It's New York, New York - so good they named it twice. Went there exactly a year before 9/11 and went to the top of the twin towers - never seen anything like it. Best city I've been to!
Paulo_baga
realy , he is te beatifulkl place !
Chris24
Not if you live here!!!!!!
lukand
How much cost ticket for airplane from Frankfurt to New York. There low cost ticket. In one way?

thanks
Afaceinthematrix
lukand wrote:
How much cost ticket for airplane from Frankfurt to New York. There low cost ticket. In one way?

thanks

I'd suggest that you check http://www.travelocity.com/
dirtydredz803
I've spent many child hood summers in Brooklyn and it's a very beautiful place. Last year I took my family there for there first visit and they loved New York City.
anonex
I'm going to NY this summer. If someone had any tipps what to visit and see there, it would be highly apprecciated. I will only stay there a few days though, because i heard its rather expensive over there.
Eric002
anonex wrote:
I'm going to NY this summer. If someone had any tipps what to visit and see there, it would be highly apprecciated. I will only stay there a few days though, because i heard its rather expensive over there.

It is expensive some airlines it's is very expensive !! But i suggest you to visit wat ever you like and just have a great time !!
Chris24
anonex wrote:

Where in NY will you be staying? It's a big city, if you narrow it down I can give you plenty of sites and things to do. Are you driving there? or will you be using the subway? walking? cabs?
MaxStirner
Except for two short business trips which left me no free time in NYC, all my recollections go back to my four semesters at NYU. When I get a chance to visit, I'll have to find out if:

• Is the "Crime INC" bookstore (somewhere in the west 80ies?) still around and as well stocked as it was?
  • Is the Washington Square Hotel on Waverly Place still as dirty and run-down as it always was?
  • Is the Thalia Theater on Broadway still showing film-noir classics on Thursdays?
  • Is there really a "When Harry Met Sally" plaque at Katz's?
  • Will the hustlers on Washington Square still let me win 1 chess game in 5 to keep me happy?
  • Is the Imperial Theatre on West 45th Street, where I saw my first Broadway show (Neil Simon's "They're Playing Our Song" with Robert Klein and Lucie Arnaz) still standing?
  • What the devil was the name of the old hotel somewhere on East 48th or 49th that served the best hamburgers (medium-rare) I have ever eaten in their downstairs bar?
  • ...I can keep this up all night ...
ptfrances
I hope I could come back as soon as pôssible to New-York, it's a wonderful city with a unique ambience;

Cool
LimpFish
I have a layover at JFK on my way to hawaii this summer. I really just wanna see a glimpse of the city, I have 3 hours and 45 mins between my flights. I read somewhere that the subway took about 30mins from JFK to 5th avenue. Could I make it into NYC, take some pics, and then go back?
MaxStirner
LimpFish wrote:
I have a layover at JFK on my way to hawaii this summer. I really just wanna see a glimpse of the city, I have 3 hours and 45 mins between my flights. I read somewhere that the subway took about 30mins from JFK to 5th avenue. Could I make it into NYC, take some pics, and then go back?

I suppose it is doable for the brave at heart. My last overseas flight to the US was a few years ago but if security is still as time-consuming as it was (even if you don't need to go through customs / passport control / immigration and have no baggage to check), getting to your gate does not involve a 2 mile hike, if you can find your terminal without trouble and the subway stop is strategically placed, then you stand a chance. ... or your best pic will show your flight taking off without you.
I would rather buy myself a cup of coffee, go sit outside and listen to the cabbies and luggage porters, then take the shuttle to my terminal, stroll comfortably to the gate, stopping on the way to buy a few postcards.
nivinjoy
Whenever i have seen NY in all those movies i had always wished and loved to go there...!!! Hope to be there at least for once in my life time...!!!

Hello and regards to all NY citizens in Frihost community...!!! God bless your city...!!! Laughing Cool Laughing
Coclus
I really want to go there. I mean thats the heart of our modern world, it must be fascinating to feel the pulse.
LimpFish
I've heard that Central park is reaaallly big, is that true? Kinda like a piece of forest in the middle of the city almost? That's kinda awesome if it is.
Chris24
It's not exactly a forest but it is a very big park. It's pretty cool
Drawingguy
It's even cooler if you look at the aerial view of Central Park, relative to the surroundings. It's so crazy- a patch of green in an urban sea.

I mean, I've lived in New York my whole life, never more than a half hour away from brooklyn, manhattan, what have you. It's almost funny, because I know I'm taking it for granted, and then when I grow older, I'll look back at this, and wonder why I didn't take advantage of living in New York. People dream of coming here, don't they?

That being said, it certainly is a great place. I think the diversity, and the amount of variation that you can find here, make it really interesting. You walk one block in brooklyn, and suddenly, you've gone from jewish orthodoxy, where people don't even use the trains on saturdays, to streets where there's absolutely no english on store signs.

Beautiful? Eh, if you're into the beauty of skylines, glittering neon backed by a dark night, or even the artistic fun of a busy city scene. Traditional beauty? Not so much, though.

It's great, though- visit!
LimpFish
Dude, I really wanna go! And btw, how is the price level in NYC? Is everything very expensive? Im primarily talkin about food, housing etc. Are there any cheaper alternatives?
bj1234567
People always assume New York means New York City while New York means New York state which is a decently large state with the majority of the population not living in NYC.

why?
LimpFish
maybe because NYC is know world-wide, and pretty much no one knows that there even is a state named New York too?
Melacos
Went there a couple of years ago, and frankly my impression wasn't that overwhelming... Well, granted, the first sight that met me after getting off the airport shuttle, was Time Square, and it was pretty intense... I was impressed, but at the same time really confused.. And that was more or less the feeling that travelled with me around to the different parts of the city.
My stay there was really short, and partly because of that, the mentioned confused feeling was what I remember the best.. It was like going to different sub-cities no matter where you went away form Manhattan, and to create a combined image of these in few days, is more or less impossible..
But yea, maybe it's jut a question of going back there and stay for a longer period..
delahaye
My (then brandnew) wife and I flew from Brussels to NYC some 25 years ago. It was overwhelming! I felt as if I had stepped into a Kojak tv show. Wow!!!!

And what was even greater: After 3 days in the city we picked up the car we had rented and spent two weeks driving in upstate New York, up to the Finger Lakes and the Niagara falls and into Canada. Not many people seem to know this, but New York State is beautiful... lotsa woods and lakes galore.
kewldudeman
AAAAHHHHHHH!!! NY NY, Pavement, tall buildings, people, and central park for your trees and such. What more can one ask for? Huh. As a former resident of NYC I still Love NY. And soon I`ll be back up there for a visit.

Cool KewlDudeman
mr_memarian
Even thought I have never been to NY, I think I will like it alot because of what I have heard and seen. Also my favorite TV shows ,Friends and Seinfeld and my favorite movie GODFATHER are all set in this city so more reasons to like it
AFriedman
Some of the very many interesting things in new york:

-You can go bird watching in Central Park and it is one of the best bird watching sites in the east coast, because it's where all the birds stop over on their migration (they dont have much choice)
-You can walk from Battery Park, the southern tip of Manhattan, all the way up and every few blocks, the atmosphere of the neighborhood is completely different--a different ethnicity or subculture
-It has many of the world's largest ethnic communities
-The food is really, really good
-It has Columbia University and New York University, two of the best schools in the world
-There are world class museums such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the American MUseum of Natural History
-You can hear world class concerts in Lincoln Center, often for not very much money
spring567
I love NYC though I'v not been there . I know New York City is a beautiful and modern city . One of my dreams is to visit NYC or live there .
LimpFish
what sucks now though is that the dollar is going back up which makes it more expensive to visit America Sad
slashnburn99
Newyork awesome place -

New York In A Day (if you have a day i.e. work trip)

Subway To Battery Park, for Statten Island Ferry (Free)

Subway To Canal Street (Bargain City), For Chinatown and Little Italy (Lunch)

Subway To 34th Street/Broadway, then Empire State Building

Walk up 5th Avenue to Central Park Ice Rink

Walk Back down 5th to 42nd street into grand Central Station
(go downstairs to the Oyster Bar)

Back to Hotel (Freshen Up)

Dinner - Revolving restaurant top floor, Marriott hotel is well worth a visit at night

Buy A Street Wise Map Well worth it
uday
The best advice you can get about visiting NYC is to hook up with somebody who lives there. The place changes so much that there is always something new to do (and some classics like museums, central park, broadway, etc).
deanhills
New York is very expensive even when the dollar is low, but yes, definitely worth a visit. The first time when I visited it, I was on a shoe string budget. I had a Delta Airpass, so flew from West to East on the red-eye. We touched down at 8:30 a.m. and the pilot was nice to take us in very low so that we could see all the special sights. I then did the famous ferry ride around Manhattan Island, did a Greyhound bus tour and at the end of the day took a Delta flight out of the city to Palm Beach. It was out of season in late October, so could get cheap accommodation in Palm Beach. That was quite a while ago however. Smile

The second time I was on company business and it was not the same at all, as had to do a lot of work. Still, the atmosphere was unforgettable, the cabbies intellectual giants, and eavesdropping on discussions that are meant for eavesdropping in the little delicatessen and cafes in Manhattan a real treat. I LOVE that accent. I also love the food from those delicatessen. Need to go back there, also need to get back to Rome. Two large cities I really love.
yuxuan
NY is really a wonderful
from now on,i will try to make money!
maybe one day i can come to visit NEW YORK!
accountgog
great city !!
TurtleShell
ptfrances wrote:
I hope I could come back as soon as pôssible to New-York, it's a wonderful city with a unique ambience;

Cool

New York is a difficult city full of difficult people. I would never call it beautiful. The ambience is certainly unique, but I don't know if I would ever call it wonderful. Five years of living in Manhattan has endeared it to me, but I would never, ever want to live there again...
Chinmoy
never been there, but wanna go atleast once in my life. One thing though, the life is so fast paced, people have no time to look back!!
LimpFish
Does anyone know if there are any good hostels or hotels that offer cheap housing? I'm a student so don't have a lot of money, but would love to see NYC Smile
deanhills
LimpFish wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any good hostels or hotels that offer cheap housing? I'm a student so don't have a lot of money, but would love to see NYC Smile

From the top of my head, if you are a student, do you think you could write to the Universities in New York perhaps and find out if they could help you, in fact perhaps do some searches on the New York University Websites? I'm not from New York, but have visited too on a shoe string, by using the red eye from Los Angeles and overnighting on the plane. I was flying al cheapo with Delta on a special stand by pass system at that time (quite a few years ago), and so flew in early on the Red Eye and departed early evening to a city with cheaper accommodation. I was concerned for my safety at that time as well, as perhaps cheap accommodation in New York may not equal safe accommodation or accommodation in a safe neighbourhood.
factorymizik
NEW YORK is the firts example of megapolis... where so many people from so many diffrent background and history learn how to live together... No time for racism or gossip... fast paced city with everything you can imagine ... Name it you will find it in this city... i always say .. if it's not on fifth avenue it means it has not been invented yet!!!
loool
people888
My first impression of NYC is scary!! People are usually very loud and rude to my taste. I had a night stop there and witnessed the airport employees shouting and quarelling. The taxi drivers weren't courteous too. The city can be beautiful but I think people are too impersonal and superficial since they are too busy and stressed out with the fast pace life there. Nice to visit to see the city but not to live since it is very expensive and can be very lonely living there.
la_Duchess
NYC is a fabulous place! I love the night life... I have been several times. The only drawback it has besides all the taxi's clogging up the roads is the garbage that piles the sides of the streets. This stuff reeks. I know that every one produces garbage but in NYC I think it is tripled.