FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google vs Microsoft

t1mmclaren
I was reading something the other day in a marketing magazine where there tends to be a moving shift into consumers interest into business that have an ethical basis. It was saying that fast becoming some of the more common questions before "how much can you do it for?" are questions like: "is it environmentally friendly", "Is your business affiliated with any sort of charity". I have always felt that the way Microsoft has been developed has been one of "all is fair in business" by kicking down anybody who might want to share the spotlight. However the Google brand to me has always come across to me to being more ethical and cooperative with the broader community... I dont have much to back this up but by the general feeling of the bran I have gotten seeing it grow over the years.

Does anybody else have an opinion on this sort form of marketing (does it influence you) and how do you think these to companies stand up (from an ethical stand point at least)?
MrBlueSky
Of course Bill Gates isn't Microsoft, but he is a big part of it:

Quote:

Philanthropy is also important to Gates. He and his wife, Melinda, have endowed a foundation with more than $28.8 billion (as of January 2005) to support philanthropic initiatives in the areas of global health and learning, with the hope that in the 21st century, advances in these critical areas will be available for all people. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has committed more than $3.6 billion to organizations working in global health; more than $2 billion to improve learning opportunities, including the Gates Library Initiative to bring computers, Internet Access and training to public libraries in low-income communities in the United States and Canada; more than $477 million to community projects in the Pacific Northwest; and more than $488 million to special projects and annual giving campaigns.

Yes, Microsoft plays it hard. But a lot of the money they got out of it is being used for charity and improving the world.

And is Google really 'doing no evil'? What about their pact with China to activily help censoring the internet for billions of chinese people? What about their link-farm-sites on which they put the ads of smaller advertisers, which is... well.. at least strange.. And their recent decesion to cut off sites with not enough traffic from some of their advertising-programs simply because it didn't make Google enough money?

Is there really something like ethics in bussiness? And should there be? By playing it hard and making your company succesfull also means you're helping the economy and creating jobs for people.
deStructuralized
I definitely see where mclaren's coming from, and it's not just consumers and it's not just marketing. The set of values and career aspirations held by Generation Y are so drastically different from those of their parents and siblings that this sort of shift is being dealt with on managerial fronts as well.

Google is the type of organization that will hire you and allow you to walk around in shorts and sandals. At the same time, it's on the cutting edge of creative development, and rewards forward-thinking, motivated employees. This doesn't necessarily describe a moral "ethic," but it does paint a pretty good picture of the company's work "ethic" and its appeal to Gen Y.

But back to the issue of morality, it's simply an issue of where the Information Age is taking consumers. Society as a whole is becoming more and more "open source" friendly, and people genuinely like digital products that can be personalized to suit their needs. I think Google's main advantage is that it tapped into that mindset early and frequently, whereas Microsoft did not. The actual level of philanthropic work either company involves in is not as relevant.
t1mmclaren
I guess peoples opinions on a particular company/brand can be manipulated by a slick branding campaign. With the right campaign a product can relate to you or you may feel that brand represents you, your subculture or your philosophy. Its interesting because as MrBlueSky said Microsoft may be involved in just as much or even more ethical busines than Google... However as said by deStructuralized because of the bias picture I have painted in my own head (possibly because of the way the brand relates to me and my culture... such as open source and customization and free software products) I am somehow developed this idea that one company is more ethical than the other... just because I feel one represents me better.

funny that!
ThePolemistis
Google is definetly Evil.

It records your searches, and keeps it on their database for at least 12 months, other search engines like MSN also do this.

Also, look at Google Mail. It reads through your personal emails to find appropriate sponsorships for them. It also stores this information in a database.
LostOverThere
ThePolemistis wrote:

It records your searches, and keeps it on their database for at least 12 months, other search engines like MSN also do this.

Also, look at Google Mail. It reads through your personal emails to find appropriate sponsorships for them. It also stores this information in a database.

Google doesn't read through your emails, a computer searches for keywords to display appropiate ads. It records your searches to be able to improve.
edzofcit
Google and Microsoft? I hate them both, they're all monopolist. They're unfair to their competitors and only wants our money to be theirs. Wink
ThePolemistis
LostOverThere wrote:
ThePolemistis wrote:

Google doesn't read through your emails, a computer searches for keywords to display appropiate ads. It records your searches to be able to improve.

Google Mail does. When you log into Gmail, your private emails are checked and appropraite ads are placed on the page based on the contents of your email. This is recorded in a database.
With regards to google searches, based on your ip it records the searches which is also saved on a database for 12 months.

It may achieve a more appropriate ad. But thats not the point -- it is an infrigement of our privacy. No one should have the write to view your personal emails and exploit its use, byproviding ads based on the contents of your email, and also store keywords in your email in a database.

The Post service (royal mail) stores and delievers our mails (letters etc). But do they have the right to read our mails and then deliever it to us, even if it is in the name of marketing. No they do not, then why should Google have the right???
dickyzin
They're both evil. But they somehow provide some pretty good services. Google is free for the users but our privacy is on the lines. Microsoft is all about the money. Razz
the-guide
Although I don't like Google and Microsoft much more, but, however I never thought that Google and Microsoft are all monopolist, the true is they have a lot of competitors too, but most of them(their competitors) have not enough ability to force them(Google and Microsoft). This is not the crime of both Google and Microsoft, we should think twice... How can they done that? How much money, times and effort they spent before they reach this status? O.K. may be we've spent some of our money to them but how much benefit we've gotten from them? So I think, the word "evil" is seem too strong language that unfair to them.

That my opinion.
web_harman
what a success story google has got!!!!!!!!! i salute it, admire it........ i think google is in for a real comptetition with microsoft............ i wonder why microsoft people are not doing much........ may be bill gates no longer holds the desire to be number one
teknotom
edzofcit wrote:
Google and Microsoft? I hate them both, they're all monopolist. They're unfair to their competitors and only wants our money to be theirs. Wink

Thats what business essentially is...
cybernytrix
They say power corrupts... and google is really powerful these days:
1. They have all the lobbyists in DC in their pockets
2. Their stock is pushing $600 - flush with $$$
3. They basically control information on the internet
4. They can see you! (thanks to street views)
No wonder you hear about stories like:
http://google.blognewschannel.com/index.php/archives/2005/07/26/former-employee-sues-google-for-discrimination/

But then the lawsuit world is weird... check this one:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070919/041030.shtml
pashmina
I hate microsoft for playing all these competitive game with other. they just put their nose on anything they see profitable. they are first of all a biggest thieves who steals idea and puts them together..
and when that product starts loosing th charm they compromise with the original creator.
Coclus
I think all those multi- billion companies are not really "nice", but if we as consumers require them to be charitable, they will be, as this is the law of our economy. Right now, I don't think there is a huge difference: Both try to stay in front, subdue any competitors and that's it. However, Google did a really clever job in still seeming to be the little silicon valley start-up, which they are definitely not anymore.
sopetite
I think too much marketing is ridiculous. people are getting annoyed with too much banners and texts on their personal services such as emails
visumedia
too much in marketing thinking and they have too much darn time. google is darn smart, theya re all about open source and free this and free that, of course people like them, microsoft charges for almost anythign, people think they are evil, i dont know but i think all corps are after oen thing. it's money, they love money, everyone loves money, as far as etchical,there are tons of companies out there are very ethical. tech companies arent them. There are also tons of companies that aren't ethical, they are crazy!!!! darn, so you need to just pick the company you like and run with it. marketing, there is a lot to it, i am in marketing, sometimes companies hire these marketing companies to do research like this to make them look like they love mother nature!!!
akshar
I think Google and Microsoft both have sufficient sense of CSR Corporate Social Responsibility
Btu more will always be welcome
dickyzin
Anyone heard about Microsoft's 44 billion dollar bid to buy Yahoo? Microsoft is desperate to compete with Google is dominating the internet with web search and other services.
bogger
this deserves a new topic! I'll post it up, but yes, wow, tension!
cloudship
dickyzin wrote:
They're both evil. But they somehow provide some pretty good services. Google is free for the users but our privacy is on the lines. Microsoft is all about the money. Razz

I have to nod on that. Google makes money under they cover of free services and being friendly and encouraging to small ideas. And Microsoft is making money with even less cover of charity or free services. But what can we say about that? They are commercial firms to make money, pay their employees and survive on the market. To run a website or develop a software may be just a matter of your own interest. However, to run a company especially a business company, the aim is only to make money. Of course all the money comes from the users' side and the only thing different to different companies is that how much profit they want out of their products or services.
Tom7
ThePolemistis wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
ThePolemistis wrote:

Google Mail does. When you log into Gmail, your private emails are checked and appropraite ads are placed on the page based on the contents of your email. This is recorded in a database.
With regards to google searches, based on your ip it records the searches which is also saved on a database for 12 months.

It may achieve a more appropriate ad. But thats not the point -- it is an infrigement of our privacy. No one should have the write to view your personal emails and exploit its use, byproviding ads based on the contents of your email, and also store keywords in your email in a database.

The Post service (royal mail) stores and delievers our mails (letters etc). But do they have the right to read our mails and then deliever it to us, even if it is in the name of marketing. No they do not, then why should Google have the right???

Because you get over 6.5 GIGABYTES of storage AND a fantastic spam filtering system, so i dont care what they do with my personal information. Also, because it is relatively new, unlike hotmail etc, There actually are many available addresses.
pmfiebig
Is this really even a question. Google wins in every category against Microsoft. Google has shown that you can treat people right and give away your product and still be successful. Microsoft has shown us that you can be greedy and deceptive and still be successful. I choose the one where you are at least helping people.
bogger
nah, microsoft office > google docs

and microsoft vista > linux.

But yeah, I suppose everyone has to hate microsoft, don't we?
MrBlueSky
pmfiebig wrote:
I choose the one where you are at least helping people.

Oh? Google is helping people allright...

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/18/hit-pause-on-the-evil-button-google-assists-in-arrest-of-indian-man/
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1767888348;fp;;fpid;;pf;1
http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/24/138227
http://techdirt.com/articles/20080207/142142203.shtml

... but not always in a good way.
indianinworld
LostOverThere wrote:
ThePolemistis wrote:

This has been proved worng !!!! I believe this was a false information that was communicated in a different way Rolling Eyes

Keep Smiling - Keep Living !!!!!!!

dickyzin
Google work-life seems to be so much better if not the best! I don't know about Microsoft but I've heard and seen a few email forwards on the work place of Google. It seems like the best place to work. I haven't heard anything like that for Microsoft.
zellfaze
ThePolemistis wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
ThePolemistis wrote:

indianinworld wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
ThePolemistis wrote:

This has been proved worng !!!! I believe this was a false information that was communicated in a different way Rolling Eyes

Keep Smiling - Keep Living !!!!!!!

Google ads are displayed via Javascript, and said Database is a cookie. It is all client side, Google also allows you to delete all server side records (i.e. search history). Am I the only person to ever read their privacy policy?
balend
Google is evil. It's becoming a monopoly and following in the footsteps of old Microsoft. Microsoft dominated operating systems and faced an antitrust lawsuit. Google is trying to own the internet and I wouldn't be surprised if it faced its own lawsuit in the future. As for Microsoft, I don't think they are feared as much as they were and you can thank the anti-trust lawsuit for that.
tronics
Google will receive many userinformation through the google chrome browser
gcaughill
Both companies have good and bad points. They are both near-monopoly companies, whose ultimate loyalty is to their shareholders, not the public.

Google started out as 'do no evil' but they are moving beyond that. As they get bigger, they will feel more and more entitled to bending the rules.

Microsoft has proven they will push as hard as they can and do not care about anyone but themselves. And they are paying for it now.
gandalfthegrey
Google will win out in the end, because they actually listen to their users and use their suggestions for making improvements.

Microsoft will just continue to have their asses stuck up their heads and create software like Vista, which deletes your music and video files that Mircosoft thinks are pirated!
RosenCruz
google is faster and younger...but ms is well experienced and reacts well to google 's attacks..i love this competition..and i hate google s privacy invasions
abcxyz1
I like Google, i can search any thing i want
OpposableThumbs
But I would have to say that Google is, on the whole, the more ethical company, mainly because their business model actively includes good works: publicizing the contents of out-of-copyright books so that everyone can have them, or allowing a percentage of their employee's time for coming up with original projects.

Gates started spending money on charities only after years of intense criticism that he spent barely any money on good works at all.
00steven
this is a funny post . I think every large companny is int for the monney and when in heat of the battle i thik they all have the stratagie of all is fair ...

But i could get it wrong; Not all businesses are lik frihost

kind regards Steven
indianinworld
Google is an basically an INTERNET Company.

and

Microsoft AKA MS is BASICALLY an OS company.

BOTH HAVE DIFFERENT ROOTS and Smilar Branches and strong in their own business in their OWN UNIQUE WAY of marketting and development Razz . Microsoft Technologies Developers will know what it is......... Laughing

Both are different in their own ways.... Though we curse MS aka Microsoft daily for the hanging of applications in the OS released by them... Though we complain MS aka Microsoft daily for the response rate (at some times)....Though we criticize MS aka Microsoft daily for the applications that they develop and release, will we not be able to live in this world (atleast today - for the next 5 years, Considering that a release of an new OS will atleast take 5 years with patches and add-ons for their stability) without MS ???
balend
I think Microsoft contributes a lot. I mean if I had a company in they're position I would be too. Google also does alot. However, I really believe google is following Microsoft's footsteps into becoming a monopoly. It's just a matter of time before the lawsuit pops up.
godgod
my frinds at google asy its much more flexible than MS... join google
im1ofthem
No matter what, microsoft rules. No questions. Ok, a few questions... but I still think it rules.
deanhills
LostOverThere wrote:
ThePolemistis wrote:

All I know is when I use Google it comes up with many more screens that warn me that I am about to leave for an insecure situation. I agree with ThePolemistis, Google is very invasive, too intuitive. Possibly that can be evil. But it has its uses for me. So I just make sure that I do not do anything confidential on the Internet, and specifically when I am using Google.
africa
deanhills wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
ThePolemistis wrote:

All I know is when I use Google it comes up with many more screens that warn me that I am about to leave for an insecure situation. I agree with ThePolemistis, Google is very invasive, too intuitive. Possibly that can be evil. But it has its uses for me. So I just make sure that I do not do anything confidential on the Internet, and specifically when I am using Google.

You folks are right but i find myself liking Google because of its products. Look at Gmail, it ahs rocked the world even though it was introduced at a time when everyone was using Yahoo!

What i do not understand is why Google just bailed out on Yahoo!. ??
rshewade
I really want to google dominating over microsoft.
Chinmoy
both are good!
bogger
on a less economic note:

NINJAS Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

best thing EVAR Very Happy
Sphaerenkern
Well, both are monopolies or near-monopolies and quite successful. So I guess they're both quite good in dirty tricks Very Happy
Anyway, I try to avoid them as much as I can, but not just for the sake of doing it. I don't like Windows as much as Mac or Linux, so I don't use Windows. Although I personally think there are better Operating Systems out there, I have to admit that the majority of people use Windows, so Microsoft seems to be pretty good in marketing, right Wink
Google - well, I think they store my data and maybe give it away, and that's something I don't want. But the Google search engine is well-made, and although I try to search with different search engines, for some searches I need google. The Google Chrome browser is something else. They're acting like they're sooo Open Source and innovative here - and then they deliver Chrome closed-source (although Chromium is under the BSD-license?!) and just use all the Open Source stuff for their own goods (WebKit) and state in their comic that their fast dial-ripoff was their idea. Yeah right.
Blazole
i dont think google would of ever been sucsessful if so many people never had microsoft operating sytems. people use google, but i bet people use microsoft more. how many people are going on google through microsoft operating systems, and web browsers and stuff.
deanhills
Blazole wrote:
i dont think google would of ever been sucsessful if so many people never had microsoft operating sytems. people use google, but i bet people use microsoft more. how many people are going on google through microsoft operating systems, and web browsers and stuff.

I like balance, and both companies are too large with too much monopoly. Possibly because Google is younger though, I would prefer the company. Perhaps it can come out with a competing operating software system, as they serve completely different markets right now.
LumberJack
Here is an silly study. Someone did a study on the carbon footprint of a Google Search. It really doesn't seem like the number is very accurate. How many google searches are done in a day, by the same computer. It is also not taking into consideration the many other tasks that your computer is doing besides the google search. It is interesting though. Google is having a fit over it Smile Wonder what is Microsoft's carbon footprint Very Happy

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2338827,00.asp

Here is a clip of the article... just in case it disappears Sad

Responding on to recently publicized research, Google on Monday stated on its Official Google Blog that the estimates of energy use for searches far exceeded reality.

A study by Harvard physicist Alex Wissner-Gross, claiming that two Google searches results in the same amount of carbon dioxide as boiling water for a cup of tea, appeared in the Sunday Times of London. The report was widely picked up by the world media, hitting local TV news in the U.S.
yuxuan
i believe google will replace microsoft sooner or later
ptfrances
I think that it's difficult to have a debate and to oppose this two different companies Wink
mejo1900
[quote="ThePolemistis"][quote="LostOverThere"]
ThePolemistis wrote:

Because its the internet!!!! Nothing on the internet is private and you shouldn't expect it to be. Also I would much rather have a computer browse my mail to give me better ads then have to pay for every e-mail i send (like how you have to pay for every letter you send by post).
deanhills
mejo1900 wrote:
ThePolemistis wrote:

Because its the internet!!!! Nothing on the internet is private and you shouldn't expect it to be. Also I would much rather have a computer browse my mail to give me better ads then have to pay for every e-mail i send (like how you have to pay for every letter you send by post).

Agreed. I sometimes wonder at people who do not realize that the Internet is the same as being in the public. That is the beauty of the exchange of information. It is shared by everyone. If what you want to say in an e-mail is private, maybe you should communicate this in a different way. Internet is not the place for it, unless it is done with some serious encryption.
robsonwendel
sou mais o google
dickyzin
Google Australia was voted the best place to work in Australia. They've got bean bag seats in meeting rooms, free cafeteria and best work culture apparently. Haven't heard anything like that for Microsoft in Australia.
foreverdestiny
Google is turning into a Microsoft clone and Microsoft is turning into google, sooner or later there won't be much of a difference between the two.
menino
Google is coming out with lots of new technologies.
A latest one is their collaboration tool called wave, which is in contrast to Microsoft's sharepoint.

Whats good about this competition for consumers, is that Microsoft will lower its pricing, and other companies will also start giving out free services, so we as consumers will be spoilt for choice. Laughing
Flakky
I have decided not to care since everyone can tell us what to do. I don't pick any side when there is a Vs between the two. Microsoft has the Windows OS, Google has no OS I pick the MS OS. Google has Chrome, Microsoft has IE, I pick Firefox.
pscompanies
Google is now in deep trouble over the privacy problem with their Buzz service. There's a big hoohaa about that right now.