FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your guitar hero

YagamiRaito
Who is your favourite guitarist ? a silly question i must admit: because there are so many schools , so many music styles in the world ...
But the truth is that everyone has a favourite guitar hero because there's that sound.......... That riff............ those memories... That Guitar HERO.

Personnally , I like Eric Johnson.
What about you?
Bengt
A lot of heroes in that category. But really Brian Setzer (former Stray Cats)is amazing and i think it's a sad thing that lots of people do not know him actually.
If you have some time, search on Youtube with his name and be astonished (f.e. the brian setzer orchestra)
eggg
Well, for listening, I'd have to say Skip James. His fingerpicking style was clean, rhythmic, melodic, and it just went so well with his voice.

But for technical skill, it's got to be Adam Fulara (electric) and Andres Segovia (classical). Look Fulara up on youtube, find him playing Bach.
goosesong
this will not do for the metal kids, but here are my folk guitar heros:

1. Merle Travis (USA, the bloke that wrote Sixteen Tons - you know "St Peter don't you call me because I can't go / I owe my soul to the company store...")

2. Nic Jones (England)

3. Dick Gaughan (Scotland - check out his Cooper and Brass if your lucky enough to source a copy)

4. Isaac Guillary (Cuba / USA)

5. Martin Simpson (England, but with a good line in Americana)
datter
Without a doubt, Stevie Ray Vaughn. If you haven't seen his Austin City Limits gig, you should.
mjohnson
He is Liuchuan,my guitar teacher,he is very famous in China.His URL:www.lichuan.net
I think everyone who like playing the guitar in China recognizes Liuchuan!
Bagpipe
Stevie Ray Vaughn is my all-time favourite. And a German Guitarist by the name of Sigi Schwab. I attended a workshop where he taught and it was great. And I also like the sound of Carlos Santana...
Ankhanu
I'm going to have to go with Jeff Buckley at the moment...
There are a lot of great players out there that I love, but there are some certain parts of certain songs that he did that never fail to stun me.
Tatsumaru
Jari Mäenpää from Wintersun (ex-Ensiferum). He's a genius at guitar playing and singing. Fun fact: we share the same birthday, haha. He's 10 years older though!
Sickness
I like Dino Cazares, from Brujería, Asesino, Fear Factroy and Divine Heresy Mr. Green
outofnicks
Starting with my most favorite:

Ry Cooder
Jimmy Page
Carlos Santana
Stevie Ray
Leo Kotke

There's a WHOLE bunch more that make it to the top of my list, depending on my mood at the moment.
KatanaSky
I would have to say...

Joe Satriani
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dIfu2OCzHPo

...and Carlos Santana

I admire all musicians really and am trying to familiarize myself with more... I love threads like this because I'm able to look up names that are new to me. Very Happy
Liques
I never played guitar hero. I just looked my friends play it.
kuhdorf
Tom Delounge from Blink182 is the best
gwaps
Lars ulrich,

he is not just a guitarist but also a vocalist, and a good vocalist for having his band very famous, something like that ad stuffs like that. anyway, does any one here at frihost have a website like music stuffs website?? please PM me your website url, I will check it out after i receieved your music website.

Thanks!
Yantaal
Matt freeman from Rancid on bass.

its a think of beauty
Ankhanu
gwaps wrote:
Lars ulrich,

he is not just a guitarist but also a vocalist, and a good vocalist for having his band very famous, something like that ad stuffs like that. anyway, does any one here at frihost have a website like music stuffs website?? please PM me your website url, I will check it out after i receieved your music website.

Thanks!

Lars is a drummer... You're probably thinking of James Hetfield
Insanity
Can't believe nobody here said Steve Vai yet.
Ankhanu
Insanity wrote:
Can't believe nobody here said Steve Vai yet.

'Cause those kinds of shredders are boring Razz Incredibly skilled, but no soul.
lukand
My favourite guitar player is Neno Kos, he play guitar in my town and he is as jimmi hendrix with guitar and this is for me the best guitar player in my country and in my street and city Smile
access-tutor
Jimmy Page
Carlos Santana
Felix Spieler
Jaan
Guitar hero 3 is my guitar hero right now!!! Oh so fun!!!

Nah jk don't even have a 360!

Don't relaly know..
fastguitar99
My Top 5 Guitarists

Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix
Synyster Gates
Carlos Santana
Steve Vai
Costa
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Santana
Hendrix
Slash

;D
liljp617
Dimebag: Revolutionized metal lead guitar and is an influence to pretty much every metal guitarist in today's music. Along with the fact that there is no guitar player alive that can recreate any of his solos. Kind of biased towards him because he's the main reason I picked up a guitar. No need to even mention how great of a person he truly was (unlike most famous musicians). All he wanted to do was play his heart out day in and day out. Unfortunately, there's some sadistic ****** who think they have a right to take other people's lives for no reason. RIP

Joe Satriani: Simply genius and one of the most technically gifted players in guitar history.

Steve Vai: Same as Satriani. As well as an unbelievable amount of knowledge in music theory. Composed a true orchestral work at like age 7 I think.

Hendrix: Not so much because of his skill with guitar, but because of his feeling and without him guitar playing wouldn't be so mainstream.

Dave Mustane: Can't deny the king of almost every well known Metallica (and Megadeth) riff. Genius when it comes to metal.

Randy Rhoads: Had more impact on guitar in such a short period of time than almost anybody. The man fused so many different genres of music into his playing...amazing. RIP

Van Halen: Not much needs to be said. Incredibly good player...thank you for putting tapping into the mainstream Very Happy

David Gilmour: No guitarist has ever put so much emotion into their playing. Pink Floyd would have been nothing without him to be honest.

Zakk Wylde: Not so much due to his material the past few years, but when he was younger and first coming onto the scene he was amazing. When it comes to metal, he's gotten quite repetitive (pinch harmonics and too much pentatonic), but when it comes to country/blues, there's very few people who can touch his talent. He's a very talented musician...plays piano, guitar, and has a very good voice. Great ability to play a good variation of different genres of music.

Angus: No guitar player could ever create songs like him using the most basic power chords. No, he's not some incredibly technically talented guitarist (although I'm sure he can be when he wants to be), but you can feel his emotion in his songs and he's probably one of the most energetic guitarists I've ever seen.

Buckethead: Not so much a huge fan of his music, but he's one of today's most unique and diverse players. He can play any genre of music with 100% clarity and perfection. He's also keeping guitar playing fresh and new with his use of digital equipment.

Probably forgot a few of the greats, but whatever.
The Mitchell
justin chancellor

billy corgan
Ankhanu
Where's the love for Johnny Marr??
_moo_
Marc Orrell, Dropkick Murphys. I don't play guitar, so I don't know how good he is in the overall scheme of things. But his whole story and the pure energy and enthusiam he has is unreal.

Also like Richie Sambora! Again don't know how technically gifted he is, but I just enjoy listening to his stuff.
Sipe
Brian May. (Queens guitarist)
Devil186
Dimebag Darrell
|
Made tons of kids want to start playing guitar... Like myself And I think his style was very original...Sad that hes gone tho Crying or Very sad so young and he was goin strong Pantera was a brutal band and no one was going to slow them down
But I guess its true what they say... All Great things must come To an end.
mackhenry
Carlos Santana and kurt Cobain
liljp617
Devil186 wrote:
Dimebag Darrell
|
Made tons of kids want to start playing guitar... Like myself And I think his style was very original...Sad that hes gone tho Crying or Very sad so young and he was goin strong Pantera was a brutal band and no one was going to slow them down

=/ Pantera was dead long before Dime was killed. He was killed while playing with Damage Plan. Pantera was over. All the members had gone to do their own thing (Phil/Rex went off together later to form Down and Dime/Vinnie went off to form Damage Plan).
Devil186
liljp617 wrote:
Devil186 wrote:
Dimebag Darrell
|

=/ Pantera was dead long before Dime was killed. He was killed while playing with Damage Plan. Pantera was over. All the members had gone to do their own thing (Phil/Rex went off together later to form Down and Dime/Vinnie went off to form Damage Plan).

Yes true well Darrell Vinnie and Rex I thought allways went onto Rebel Meets Rebel With David Allen Cole then it was damage Plan? Could be wrong I know it was a side project but im not sure if it was during the time when Pantera was on "idle" times.
liljp617
Devil186 wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
Devil186 wrote:
Dimebag Darrell
|

Yes true well Darrell Vinnie and Rex I thought allways went onto Rebel Meets Rebel With David Allen Cole then it was damage Plan? Could be wrong I know it was a side project but im not sure if it was during the time when Pantera was on "idle" times.

True, but the Rebel Meets Rebel album wasn't released until after Dime's death. Anselmo was originally supposed to be part of it and duet with Coe, but it didn't go through. I was just saying that Pantera was done before Dime was murdered =O Nothing more.
frih
my guitar hero is Bilal from string band. he plays the guitar very good. he also has good voice.

have a nice time!!!!!!!!!

regards
abhi Arrow
lovian
my guitar hero is Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Marty Friedman. but I prefer to Joe Satriani, he plays the guitar very perfect.
swizzy
i'm very very new to all this guitar thingy... but i am already a big fan of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai
Insanity
I think Eric Johnson has awesome tone and he's my favorite.
liljp617
swizzy wrote:
i'm very very new to all this guitar thingy... but i am already a big fan of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai

Very Happy Then you're on the perfect track. Also check out John Petrucci. He plays very much like the two you mentioned (he's in the band Dream Theater as well if you want to check that out).
intruder_indeed
Mine would have to be Steve Howe cause of is versatility of playing acoustic and electric.
McDucque
I really look up to Jack White as a guitarist, though he gets a lot of mixed reactions from guitar players about whether or not he's really that great a performer. I just like how outlandish he is.
Gustavus
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tony Iommi and Randy Rhoads are definitely my favorite guitarists. Smile

I'm inspired by all 3 of them.
The-Ron-Man
Aw, no love for Jeff Beck? He's my favorite. Stevie Ray Vaughan does have some support here. That's good -- he's probably my second favorite.
RaecoN
im best of guitar hero Smile
spinout
there is one person that goes under the name mr guitar: chet atkins
Mokkis
1. Slash, no one plays solos like him... ;D
2. Eddie Van Halen, The tapping and riffs are allmst the coolest thing ever Wink
ainieas
I grew up idolizing Joe Perry. But I admire Dave Navarro too although everyone seems to hate him.
liljp617
ainieas wrote:
I grew up idolizing Joe Perry. But I admire Dave Navarro too although everyone seems to hate him.

Most people hate grunge all together lol Razz
Makslahti
I like six, they got cool intros Smile
sandmanxyz
I loved Jerry Cantrell in the Alice in Chains with Layne Era Wink
mtthff
Santana, Clapton and Richards, I believe
Silk2008
Hasn't anyone here heard of Robin Trower? If not look him up, listen to him and tell me that he doesn't deserve a mention in this forum! Bridge of sighs, Too rolling stoned!!! If you're lucky you can get your hands on some live stuff and get a real good idea of how masterfully this guy melds with his guitar. I got lucky and saw him once in Lexington, Ky in a very small club. At one point in the show he picked up a glass Coke bottle from the table in the front row, that's how small this place was, and played slide guitar with it. The room was filled with tones and texture of music that I had never heard before. Much less from one man on a guitar. Look him up and let me know what you think.

But one favorite? Wow that's sooooooooo hard. Do i pick Jimmy Page, David Gilmore, Jimmy Hendrix....I can't. I wish I could genetically combine them all!!!!!
Insanity
I must also agree with the person several posts above with Eric Johnson's awesome tone. He is my favorite of all the virtuoso guitarists out there with his bluesy style and tone.
Gabriel_Ns
Slash
Jimmy Hendrix
Eric Johnson
Herman Li

OMG how many Guitar Heros xD
Guelila
Joe Satriani & John Petrucci Smile

Satriani makes BEAutiful musicc... its amazing..
just listen to this one

Joe Satriani - Ten Words
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v_fFoYgsPo&feature=related

and Petrucci is awesome aswell, and fits Dream Theater perfectly!
liljp617
sandmanxyz wrote:
I loved Jerry Cantrell in the Alice in Chains with Layne Era Wink

Very Happy Yeah! His playing was fairly simple as is all grunge music, but I love AIC's sound in general. Extremely calming Razz
dougblackjr
John Petrucci of Dream Theater / Liquid Tension Experiment. He's simply incredible!

Anybody else big Dream Theater fans? Anyone going to the show in DC?

~ Doug
dodhee
Joe Satriani and Gary Moore. For Indonesian, I like Andra and Thomas GIGI
mmmtastymeal
kuhdorf wrote:
Tom Delounge from Blink182 is the best

hahahahah i'm sorry but lol

i'd probably say john pettruci or ingve malmsteem are the best, but they're not really my genre. if sitarists count, my favourite would be ravvi shankar.
Arseniy
John Frusciante from Red Hot Chili Peppers (actually rated 7 in the top list of greatest guitarists in the world) and Santana.
ayour
this will not do for the metal kids, but here are my folk guitar heros:

1. Merle Travis (USA, the bloke that wrote Sixteen Tons - you know "St Peter don't you call me because I can't go / I owe my soul to the company store...")

2. Nic Jones (England)

3. Dick Gaughan (Scotland - check out his Cooper and Brass if your lucky enough to source a copy)

4. Isaac Guillary (Cuba / USA)

5. Martin Simpson (England, but with a good line in Americana)
delahaye
Jimi Hendrix is beyond competition. And I'm old enough to have seen him (a)live!

Runners up in my personal top 10 are

Carlos Santana
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck
Ry Cooder
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Leo Kotke
John Fahey
David Gilmour
Vladalf
My favourite guitarist is John Frusciante from Red Hot Chili Peppers. His rhytms are amazing and he does awesome solo's (I'm not that much of a guitar guy so I don't know the words, sorry).
-Vladalf
ramgottwallpapers
My Guitar Hero is James Hetfield from Metallica, I love his style, his guitars, his way to perform on stage. How I say in another post Hendrix is my Grandpa and James Hetfield is my Father.
deanhills
I am a great admirer of Brian May from the UK. He was one of the founders of Queen group and is famous for his red electric guitar, which he built from scratch. I think he is one of the most understated artists in the world. He studied both music and astronomy and recently received his PhD in astronomy. One of his greatest productions was "Party at the Palace" and his recording of "God Save the Queen" is brilliant. Other items on this CD are "We will rock you" ... one of my most favourites. Also "Layla", "With a little help of my friends" and "Gimme Love" with Joe Cocker. Work of art!

frih
Bryan adams and bilal from string band...