FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I can't mount ntfs?

bostko
So here is the problem. I installed a Fedora 7 to my friend, but I have no success in mounting ntfs partition where is windows. The hard disk is configured this way
Code:
sda1 20GB-ntfs(I tried to mount it in /media/win_c)
sda5 40GB-fat32(/media/win_d)
sda6 40GB-fat32(/media/win_e)
sda7 10GB-ext3(/)
sda8 1GB-swap

First I tried to mount it from fstab. I add a line(I don't remember what exactly was) but when I tried to mount the partition from command line with mount -a appeared an error something like "invalid ntfs signature, failed to access the partition". I tried with umount /dev/sda1-
not mounted
mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/win_c(the same error as when I tried to mount it from fstab)
And the same error when I try to mount it with ntfs-3g.

I'm sory that I can't give you more information but right now the computer is not by me.
Any ideas how to get out that molest error!?
AftershockVibe
I've noticed that sometimes Linux drivers for NTFS will not "repair" an NTFS drive if Windows does not shut down properly. It therefore doesn't mount it.

I think you can force it to repair but I've always just boot into Windows and let Windows do it automatically.
DivineLight
You can also try alternative NTFS drivers that are available for linux, like FuseNTFS.
It may work and if it works, you can also write to NTFS partitions like FAT32 ones.

Works for me though.