FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland

Ghengis
This game with the ridiculous title is a blast to play. Don't let the cartoon graphics or simple premise fool you -- it's ruthless. You don't have hit points, armor, or a weapon. Your only stat is rupees (money, to the crazy guy out there that still hasn't played a Zelda game). Everything you do, even fighting or talking to people in town, costs money, and you spend it almost as fast as you make it. If a monster hits you, you loose rupees. You can hire a "bodyguard" who has hearts (hit points), but if he goes down, you have to pay him to continue, and sometimes you have to give him a "cut" of what you've made.

The overall goal of the game is to make a tower grow up to "Rupeeland", by... throwing Rupees at it. There's a lot of ways to make rupees, but even more ways to lose them. It's refreshingly different, and the tension created by constantly bleeding money makes it really fun. My only complaint is that most times when you're dealing with people, you have to make a "blind" offer of how much to give them (or how much to ask them for, if they're paying you), and in a lot of cases if you bid too low, you just lose the amount you bid and probably have to bid again. I've been reloading from my saved game quite a lot. Otherwise, it's quite enjoyable.

Unfortunately, it's only available in Japan and Europe right now, but if you're in a position to import it (or get it through, uh, "other means", natch), it's worth your while.