FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

stuck at "loading personal settings"

filet
I'm using win xp. If this kind of problem happened : I can start the laptop, click on my user icon, type in my password, and that's it. It says "loading personal settings" and it just stops there. My mouse doesn't freeze or anything.

Other info: It can load into safe mode environment.

My other laptop and desktop computer have the same settings as the problematic laptop.
Any suggestions what might be the problem?
djclue917
The Problem:
Something weird, unexpected, and unknown _thing_ happened to your Windows box that prevents you, the user, from even fixing it.

The Solution:
Re-format your hard drive and re-install Windows XP. Very Happy (sorry, but I can't think of any other viable solution using the details that you've given)
bostko
Did you try to make new user? Run windows under safe mode and create a new user.
filet
The same thing happened when I create a new user with the same privilege.
GSIS
Lots of ideas here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=stuck+on+%22loading+personal+settings%22&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

You should be able to sort this out without a re-install!
Kruskal
All my accounts stuck on "Loading Personal Settings" and none of the ideas here worked for me. Then I found in http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=778269 that this can be caused by an anti-virus program gone bad. It suggested uninstalling it in Safe Mode.

In my case, Norton Anti-Virus, it refused to uninstall in Safe Mode -- it wouldn't do anything in Safe Mode except a full scan. So I downloaded a separate uninstaller from the Symantec site and all went well. After rebooting in Normal Mode, I reinstalled the Anti-Virus

Vincent
Craeft
Kruskal wrote:
All my accounts stuck on "Loading Personal Settings" and none of the ideas here worked for me. Then I found in http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=778269 that this can be caused by an anti-virus program gone bad. It suggested uninstalling it in Safe Mode.

In my case, Norton Anti-Virus, it refused to uninstall in Safe Mode -- it wouldn't do anything in Safe Mode except a full scan. So I downloaded a separate uninstaller from the Symantec site and all went well.

Norton Antivirus was actually written by Satan himself. True story. And what he did was decided, "I will sepak with Steve Case and figure out how i can write a virus, infiltrate someone's computer, and then sell it to them as though it fights off the very thing it is. And behold, the birthing was complete and it was named "Norton."

Quote:
After rebooting in Normal Mode, I reinstalled the Anti-Virus

Vincent

You may want to consider something like AVG, Kaspersky, Comodo, or PcCillin. Norton and McAfee are two of the quirkiest, most evil, resource hoggish antiviruses out there. And you can get Comodo for free. It will also allow you to shut down Windows firewall, as it has one in its suite. I was using AVG for antivirus and Sygate for firewall until I built the 64 bit system. Then my AVG didn't work on it, nor my Sygate. Someone recommended Comodo and I am STARTING to like it. It took a little getting used to with all the pop-ups saying, "Is this program ok?" "How about this one, boss?" " And this one?"

I know that was a bit off-topic from the thread. Sorry. I have a habit of doing that when I have a spare 2 lying around. :-/