FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Red Arrows are banned from appearing at the 2012 olympics!

Relentless
Everyone sign up to this please - if you agree.

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".

Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be "offensive" to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team "too militaristically British". Red Arrows pilots were said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being "too British" is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails

If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on the link below

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012
coolclay
Could you explain what the Red Arrows are. I am guessing they are like a aerobatic jet team or something?
Relentless
Yes they are and one of the best aerobatic jet team I know. Very Happy

Watch them here http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVzMFhb8DfQ
PatTheGreat42
Well, maybe instead of the Red Arrows, we could have the Dark Pink Arrows. Or maybe Burgandy Arrows. The One of Three Primary Colors Arrows. Velvet Arrows?
max2500
The red arrows are one of the best display teams in the world, and we should be allowed to show that off to the rest of the world. Everyone on here should sign the petition!
jharsika
Why are they saying that it would be offensive? Do they even back that up? That's really strange.....

I hate when people go banning things left and right so as to be politically correct. It doesn't work.
wellerchap
it's time common sense regained it's foot-hold in British society....when are the fog-knitting, water-walking bleeding hearts going to disappear back under their stones & let "normal" people get on & live "normal", broad-minded lives.
Giving in to this PC nonsense is pathetic ! Twisted Evil
watersoul
I'm lucky enough to live in a town where the annual maritime regatta here has a huge carnival with a red-arrows display every year (sometimes twice a year).
They really are amazing to watch and it's free, how could a jet aircraft display team like this possibly exist without being influenced, run and funded by the military?! It's not like a private corporation could do it and have runners on the streets charging people for looking up into the sky!

This is political correctness a little bit too far i think, fair enough if they were doing missile displays with combat markings it would look like the sort of displays you see in N.Korea maybe, but these planes are bright red, with no guns, painting the sky with red white and blue smoke to entertain people.

This olympics planning has been so poor so far it doesn't surprise me at all though, I can't wait to see what happens when the world is watching our opening ceremony, perhaps the british kite flying society will end up doing a display Lol !
achowles
There's no point in signing the petition as the government hasn't banned them.

It says so on the petition.

It would be an insult to them and Britain as a whole if they were banned though.

Why is it whenever I encounter something ill-conceived, insulting, demeaning, condescending and offensive, it's invariably 'politically correct'?
otiscom
The Government should tell them not to be so stupid and be proud of our flyers.
Davidgr1200
Just to think about it from the other point of view: Would you be willing to let a dozen of, say, North Korea's best pilots fly military aeroplanes over London? Or perhaps 10 Al Kaeda military planes?
Relentless
Davidgr1200 wrote:
Just to think about it from the other point of view: Would you be willing to let a dozen of, say, North Korea's best pilots fly military aeroplanes over London? Or perhaps 10 Al Kaeda military planes?

What you on about?

The hawk is a british training jet not just military.

Plus they are flying british colors and they oh wait a second ARE BRITSH flying in british air.

Brick wall
krazy
Well if the red arrows are there to represent the UK.
I think we have every right to have the red arrows there.
Is it saying, them being offensive, if any other country has a display at the Olympics, us people from the UK will find it offensive, I don;t see them going banning other displays there if there will be any.

I think there is every right that the red arrows should be there on that day.
eday2010
It's time people and groups of people stopped being so sensitive to the point where everything is offensive. Tough up. If England wants to have them fly around or whatever, then that is their right. Itis their games after all. Anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to watch, or they can just go to hell. If Germany wanted to have a Swastika flag flying next time they hosted the Games, I wouldn't bitch and moan about it. I'd simply ignore the Olympics and Germany.
hlavco
People are annoying. I hate this kinda stuff.

People should be allowed to have pride in their countries. "Too British". That's hilarious.
Lukero
Relentless wrote:
Yes they are and one of the best aerobatic jet team I know. Very Happy

Watch them here http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVzMFhb8DfQ

Ah, they do look awesome.
And yes I agree that they should be allowed to perform.
friuser
I'm not sure why you would petition. Maybe there are other reasons like not wanting an "incident" to occur when someone dies while performing their acts at the olympics. The term militaristic could simply mean too dangerous.

Being the devil's advocate here... what exactly does the red arrows have to do with the olympics? Last time I seen the olympics there was no such sport... Is this a petition because you are a fan or is there any sort of stunning reason why they should be performing other than the fact they were banned?
tikitait
What! No Way!. The Red Arrows I have seen many times, everytime they have something different to show. They are the best in the world, no one else like them.
They should appear, they are part of the United Kingdom so why not. Others in the past have shown in the opening day parts of there culture/country that they are proud of, SO! why not us, the Red Arrows are one of the things that the United Kingdom are proud to have. In my eyes anyway! I know most will disagree. Sorry, rant over! Its made me angry thats all
driftingfe3s
People these days, its just an air show! Although I have never seen the Red Arrows or heard of them before today, I hope the petition helps. I don't know why anywone would find an air show offensive... unless they use colored smoke trails to write hate messages to other countries Shocked
theem
the Olympic people shouldn't be having any problems with it..

not a powerful reason to ban Idea
Relentless
friuser wrote:
I'm not sure why you would petition. Maybe there are other reasons like not wanting an "incident" to occur when someone dies while performing their acts at the olympics. The term militaristic could simply mean too dangerous.

Being the devil's advocate here... what exactly does the red arrows have to do with the olympics? Last time I seen the olympics there was no such sport... Is this a petition because you are a fan or is there any sort of stunning reason why they should be performing other than the fact they were banned?

I understand where you are coming from BUT the reason the red arrows are being banned is because they are deemed to british to fly in BRITAN! What i don't understand is... Is that they say racisum is against the law.(well der!) but havn't that just broke the law by saying britain isn't british anymore? (well they may not have said that but the complied it by saying a BRITISH thing is TO BRITISH! for BRITAIN!)

(not being racist tho!)

SIGN THE PETITION!
Josso
200,000 petitons last time I looked - looking good.
Peterssidan
Quote:
You must be a British citizen or resident to sign the petition.

I'm not so I can't. Sorry. Otherwise I had done that becouse it's better things to ban than red arrows even if I never heard of them before.