FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Need Help tunneling..





[FuN]goku
Okay, uhm. where to start..

Okay, i would like to host a few things from my pc however there are a few things blocking this, firewall/shared network , my pc connects to a hub which goes to my dads server which then goes to the internet. Now, uhm, my dad doesnt mind if i host stuff using a VPN(virtual private network), however these can be a real pain since not everyone has it or wants it.(a vpn program). But! the only thing is, he wont give me access to his server pc , or he wont host anything for me because well, he knows ill just give up on it anyways, which is true i dont want these services running 24/7, only when i want them.

So , ive heard of ssh tunneling but i cant find a guide that works the way i want it..

This is how my network is layed out

My PC -> HUB -> Dads Server Box -> Firewall | Internet

However there are several other computers on the network (which i dont think matters)

Also i have access to a shell. Actually... 2 of them.

So any suggestions?

Note: For frih admins/mods : i dont think talking about this would be violating the TOS would it? Being as i have permission to host stuff, just dont have access to my dads server box to do that. So if this is a violation please tell me. I didnt see anything like that in the rules and stuff.. but i thought that this might be related to hacking or something so i didnt wanna break the rules Smile

Also sorry if anything isnt explained clearly, im really tired XD

Any help would be appreciated

-Thanks in advance
coreymanshack
[FuN]goku wrote:
Okay, uhm. where to start..

Okay, i would like to host a few things from my pc however there are a few things blocking this, firewall/shared network , my pc connects to a hub which goes to my dads server which then goes to the internet. Now, uhm, my dad doesnt mind if i host stuff using a VPN(virtual private network), however these can be a real pain since not everyone has it or wants it.(a vpn program). But! the only thing is, he wont give me access to his server pc , or he wont host anything for me because well, he knows ill just give up on it anyways, which is true i dont want these services running 24/7, only when i want them.

So , ive heard of ssh tunneling but i cant find a guide that works the way i want it..

This is how my network is layed out

My PC -> HUB -> Dads Server Box -> Firewall | Internet

However there are several other computers on the network (which i dont think matters)

Also i have access to a shell. Actually... 2 of them.

So any suggestions?

Note: For frih admins/mods : i dont think talking about this would be violating the TOS would it? Being as i have permission to host stuff, just dont have access to my dads server box to do that. So if this is a violation please tell me. I didnt see anything like that in the rules and stuff.. but i thought that this might be related to hacking or something so i didnt wanna break the rules Smile

Also sorry if anything isnt explained clearly, im really tired XD

Any help would be appreciated

-Thanks in advance


First off, what operating system do you have? What vpn program would you like to use?
[FuN]goku
Uhm.... WinXP Pro, and i said i 'DONT' want to use a VPN (like hamachi) i would like to set up an ssh tunnel or w/e it is you call it.
JayBee
If your computer is visible from firewall (if it is extra computer?), you can enable some ports to be redirected to your PC. For example someone connect to your firewall at port 2345 and the firewall will redirect all communication from this port to your computer at port 80. (I have these ability in my router)

I use OpenVPN, but you say, that you don't want use VPN.

You can use something like http://google.com/search?q=ssh+tunneling

I thing, via SSH tunneling, you can redirect server ports to your local computer. If you want share some yours services, you should persuade Firewall (or Dads Server Box, I don't know if it is one or two computers) to connect to your computer via SSH. ==> It is easier to set up port redirecting.
coreymanshack
Quote:
Secure Shell or SSH is a network protocol that allows data to be exchanged over a secure channel between two computers. Encryption provides confidentiality and integrity of data. SSH uses public-key cryptography to authenticate the remote computer and allow the remote computer to authenticate the user, if necessary.


You can't actually use ssh as it is a program. You will still need a vpn program.
JayBee
coreymanshack wrote:
You can't actually use ssh as it is a program. You will still need a vpn program.


Nope, ssh protocol have some ability to securely tunneling tcp/ip communication over insecure internet connection.

(You can also copy files throw SSH (sftp) like with FTP, but more secure. SSH is not only for securely remote control some other computer. Wink)
coreymanshack
JayBee wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
You can't actually use ssh as it is a program. You will still need a vpn program.


Nope, ssh protocol have some ability to securely tunneling tcp/ip communication over insecure internet connection.

(You can also copy files throw SSH (sftp) like with FTP, but more secure. SSH is not only for securely remote control some other computer. Wink)


sftp, i think is still a program... SSH is just the protocol not a program.
JayBee
coreymanshack wrote:
JayBee wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
You can't actually use ssh as it is a program. You will still need a vpn program.


Nope, ssh protocol have some ability to securely tunneling tcp/ip communication over insecure internet connection.

(You can also copy files throw SSH (sftp) like with FTP, but more secure. SSH is not only for securely remote control some other computer. Wink)


sftp, i think is still a program... SSH is just the protocol not a program.


ssh is protocol and for example I use program "sshd" as server and program "ssh" as client.
sftp is protocol over ssh and for example I use program "sshd" as server and program "sftp" as client.
scp is protocol over ssh and I still use program "sshd" as server and program "scp" as client.

I use ssh (program and protocol) for tunneling X11 protocol over Internet, so I can run remote windowed applications locally. Ssh is more then encrypted shell.
Related topics
can i help?
help,Bonding
HELP!!
Help me with MySQL Account Maintenance and phpBB 2.0.15 :((
help, change pass my acc in cpanel
help me upgrade php to 5.
Need help adding a domain
help add admin in phpbb forum
How to solve this problem? Thanks
Help!
Help me change port for phptriad
problam Plz help
Help!!
Google Ads help fund Spyware ?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.