FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OS in external hardisk

kk_loke86
Hello, can anyone tell me whether I can run any OS such as XP and Linux by using an external harddisk.. Thanks.
ssthanapati
I doubt it because XP is hardware dependent. And while installation the appropriate drivers get installed. But I am not sure
coreymanshack
ssthanapati wrote:
I doubt it because XP is hardware dependent. And while installation the appropriate drivers get installed. But I am not sure

Don't listen to him Very Happy, an external hard drive can be treated just like an internal one. The windows and linux installation will only work on the initial pc though. LIke he said, they ARE hardware dependent, so if you go somewhere else with your hard disk, you won't be able to boot up one of the operating systems. You should make another partition in addition to the linux and windows partitions to store important files on that you would like to access from another computer.
djclue917
Not really. That's why there are Linux distros capable of booting from a USB flash drive/memory stick. Yeah, I know. It's technically _not_ a hard drive but the point is that it can boot from an external storage device. Actually, a fairly recent Linux installation would work on any machine provided that the hardware "layout" is the same/almost the same OR the hardware autodetection scripts are working well.
corey
The only thing that you have to be sure of when running from a drive that's not connected to the primary controller, like an external hard drive, is how your BIOS points to the drives. If you can boot from the external drive, then the operating system should be able to run from it. If you have to, you could install the boot loader on an internal drive and have it point to the external drive in the boot list. Grub could do this with relative ease.
kk_loke86
I have tried with Windows XP Professional SP2 but it can`t boot at all...with blue screen...T-T..

However, I have not tested with Linux yet.. It is still a new term to me...plan to learn it later...
greatfire
Linux: Try puppy linux, designed to run on external drives like usb, www.puppylinux.org
Windows: Try Bart PE, i know its for making live CD but im sure you can copy it to whatever drive your planning to use. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
coreymanshack
kk_loke86 wrote:
I have tried with Windows XP Professional SP2 but it can`t boot at all...with blue screen...T-T..

However, I have not tested with Linux yet.. It is still a new term to me...plan to learn it later...

That's weird, how did you install it?
mOrpheuS
When most folks/sites talk about running Linux from USB, they are talking about a Live version of Linux distros.
Which is nothing but the files and init scripts from a Live CD Linux distro put on a USB stick, and made bootable using syslinux.
This Pen Drive Linux site gives a lot of information about achieving this with many Linux distros. Take you pick !

This method is independent of the hardware - it will run just the same on all hardware that the installed kernel has support for.
The best option, in my opinion.

There also exists a live version of XP (aka Windows Portable Environment, or just PE), the official version of which is not freely downloadable (for obvious reasons).
However, there is available an alternative free version called BartPE.
Further development on the same was stopped by the author following a cease and desist letter from Microsoft, but the older version was never taken down - and it still works !
You can use the PE to run many windows based programs, however the environment is far too restrictive to be called an OS. In other words, it's meant for troubleshooting, not for daily usage.

Booting real XP from USB is a big challenge, irrespective of whether or not it was installed for the same PC or a different one.
Due to the way USB device drivers behave in XP - they are restarted midway during the bootup process.
But if you want to do this really desperately, you should head over yonder to find - Procedure/Tutorial and complete background discussion

Installing Full linux on a USB device can be a bit of challenge too and similarly hardware dependent.

My personal recommendation - use a live linux installed to a USB stick.
I use Slax which was created by the author of Linux live scripts.
It's just a 180MB for KDE version and 110MB for XFCE version - and installing it to a USB stick is a one click process !
kk_loke86
Thanks guys. Sorry for the long reply... just get well from motorbike accident... hehe...