FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cpu usage

deepod
Hello again, I have this problem with this computer in which the CPU usage is always around 40-60% whe idle, I find this strange because there are hardly any programs on the PC. Thing is when i boot in to safe mode, everything is fine and CPU usage is back to 0%-10%.

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1 gig of RAM (32 Mb shared with graphics)
Win XP pro
120GB HD
geforce 3 ti 200.
MrBlueSky
You can press CRTL-ALT-DELETE and then select the 'processes' tab. Then you can sort the processes on CPU usage. This way you can check which process is using the CPU. If you don't know what the process is doing post it here, and maybe someone can give you more information.
internetjobs
on the taskmanager process tab, find that which service uses high cpu usage and disable the service..

try to scan with antivirus software and anti spyware software...
djclue917
Maybe it is that svchost service again. In my case, the CPU usage shoots up to almost 100% and svchost consumes it all. I actually don't know what it does and why it uses a freakingly huge amount of CPU power. That happens even when my computer is idle which is really really annoying.
grafke
deepod wrote:
Hello again, I have this problem with this computer in which the CPU usage is always around 40-60% whe idle, I find this strange because there are hardly any programs on the PC. Thing is when i boot in to safe mode, everything is fine and CPU usage is back to 0%-10%.

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1 gig of RAM (32 Mb shared with graphics)
Win XP pro
120GB HD
geforce 3 ti 200.

Show hijackthis logo here..
PseudoKnight
Those can sometimes be tricky to track down if it's the svchost.exe. You'll need an extra tool to determine which service it is, then which file. Then you have to determine (based on which service it is) the best method to elminate the problem, which may involve compromise if a file replacement doesn't work.
qscomputing
deepod wrote:
Hello again, I have this problem with this computer in which the CPU usage is always around 40-60% whe idle, I find this strange because there are hardly any programs on the PC.

That's fairly typical for Windows, nothing strange really.
Loghete
Yes, because there is a Windows process that starts working whenever the computer is idle (it sorts of sort your files so that everything will run smoother) and stops when you start doing something. The computer should be on about 40-60% while idle (on Windows), if it's lower than that something is wrong.
PseudoKnight
The problem is that his computer isn't really "idle" when he's checking the process list. He means he's not running any apps. Constant 40-60% CPU usage is not normal in this circumstance and he would benefit from tracking down the problem.

BTW, what is "hardly any programs"? Do you have anti-virus running?
Cddhesh
You can go to Task Manager by pressing Control-Alt-Delete and see which processes are running.You can delete unwanted processes.Secondly there are many softwares that have utility to detect and show processes and threads that are running behind explorer.This processes can be remained instance of applications.I use End-It All software for that.System mechanic also provides that utility.
Bones
I have to disagree when people say that 40-60% cpu usage is normal when Windows is idle. Unless you have really old, inadequate hardware that is.

My Windows idles at usually 0-4% Also if you look at the process list and see the System Idle Process, this is not a 'process' per se, it is actually just showing the percent of your pc that is currently idle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_idle_process

If the system is running normal in safe mode, then the problem is in thrid party software that is loading on startup, most likely culprit is antivirus software, especially if you run Norton or Mcafee antivirus since they both have a pretty significant impact on system performance
javdilaver
Try this out

www.processlibrary.com

It will show yopu the processes running on memory but beyond that will help you to find non authorized programs in your memory.
nivexuck
You can try IceSword too. It is my favorite tool.

Code:
http://www.antirootkit.com/software/IceSword.htm
internetjobs
try to scan with some anti spyware software.
pathtotake
What you need to do is go into the task manager click on procceses, then see which one takes the most cpu usage, then google the procces and see what it gives you.
if its malicious, end it.
if it cant be ended, start in safe mode and delete the file by searching for it using the search feature.
frih
it means you have various services which gets loaded when you start your computer. to remove these sevices follow these steps.

1)click on start.
2)click on run.
3) type msconfig in it and press enter
4)click on services tab. select the services you want and click apply.
5) now click on startup. you will find various applications, which gets start up when your window starts.
6) just uncheck those applications which you dont want and click apply.

by following these steps, you can also increase system speed,free your ram and high computer performance

regards
abhi Surprised