FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

software for recording

deepod
Hi - Good morning, does anybody know of a free voice recording programme. I have some stuff to learn and I would like to put it on disc to use when driving and on my walkman. I have a mic which came with the pc. I am running windows xp with the service pack 2..
Thanks

D Very Happy
1337Bender
The perfect program you are looking for is audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net . It is very ease to use and has a nice gui. If you're new to audio sowftare they have alot of tutorials to help you out http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/tutorials
dray101
I realise there is a built in voice recorder in XP???

Go [start menu] > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Sound Recorder

it's not very good though... Laughing
werste4
There is another one: http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/. But this is more designed to record and mix music.
pashmina
ya recommend audacity too because its free and an effective software.
jipmerite
Audacity would be the most popular software for such a purpose. I have always wanted to check it out but not had the time yet. Haven't really had a need for it yet. If you do try it out, let us know what you thought of it.
DarkPhoenix
Use Adobe Audition.

It's a good program for recording.
ProtoMan
Even though it is not free, but Advanced Sound Recorder is a very good Sound Recording program. It has many nice features that you may never need (For a complete feature list, go to their homepage www.soundrecorder.net ). I have been using it for some time and it is working very fine for me. I recommend it Smile
MeddlingMonk
I recommend Audacity as well. It is free and not overly complicated. It can export WAV, MP3 and OGG-Vorbis formats (so if you've got a CD-burning program like Nero already, you can make an ordinary audio CD or an MP3 CD). There are many different plugins you can download for Audacity as well, so you can choose which effects you want to have available. The only downside is that its noise-removal effect can introduce distortion, unfortunately. Other than that, it's a good piece of software.
PseudoKnight
Audacity is generally considered the best that I know of despite a few uninuitive features.

On a side-note, with Skype and Ventrilo you can also record conversations if that is at all useful to you. They're slightly compressed, but Skype and Ventrilo have some high quality codec options.
slashnburn99
I used ARwizard3

Worked well, not sure if trial version only lasted 60 seconds, cant remember
DoctorBeaver
I use wavepad for simple voice recordings. It's free and very simple to use.

You can download it from HERE
froginabox
1337Bender wrote:
The perfect program you are looking for is audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net . It is very ease to use and has a nice gui. If you're new to audio sowftare they have alot of tutorials to help you out http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/tutorials

I very much agree with 1337Bender - I'm an Audio Production guy, we use ProTools Accel HD3 in the big studio for multitracking bands, but I use Audacity to produce the voice work like radio station jingles and spots. It is user friendly and has great documentation if you get a bit lost.
gilwe
deepod wrote:
Hi - Good morning, does anybody know of a free voice recording programme. I have some stuff to learn and I would like to put it on disc to use when driving and on my walkman. I have a mic which came with the pc. I am running windows xp with the service pack 2..
Thanks

D Very Happy
gilwe
Thanks

D Very Happy

Sony Soundforge is a great program for 2 track recording and has 30 days free trial.
weableandbob
There are certainly better paid programs, but for something free, audacity is the best, hands down.
David_Pardy
I don't understand why people are suggesting commercial programs for someone who just wants to record his voice and listen back to it.

Get Audacity. No questions, it IS your best choice. Don't waste your time or money on a demo/commercial software. You don't need to.
CorCloud
I for one can agree with Audacity. My friends used to use it for all kinds of stuff. From Phone call pranks to recording vocals for the band.