FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

install problem

deepod
Hi all! I'm having a bit of an unexpected problem with installing Windows XP Pro 64 on my brand new computer. Of course i had to start from scratch, so i put the disc in and pressed enter a few times. I bought a Serial ATA hard drive (2x 500GB hard drives). And because of this according to instructions in the custom built pc manual, i had to press F6 at a blue screen, adn then enter the floppy disc full of drivers. My computer did not have a floppy disc drive and there was no floppy disc. So i assumed maybe my computer didnt need the to go through the special 'Serial ATA' install. SO i left it and eventually it got to the disk page where i chose what disc to put the windows on.There were two drives showing, so i pressed enter on one of them. Windows installed. I got to the desktop, and then to my computer, and saw that each drive was 127 GB. But according to the BIOS and my details, i have 2 x 500GB IDE configured sata hard drives...

i do not understand. if someone could tell me how to install windows on my computer how it should be, please do and i will be extremely grateful.

Thankyou so much.
greatfire
ummmm. ur motherboard cd should have SATA drivers on it. Maybe try bunging that in the cd drive when it asks for floppy, otherwise all I can think of is to grab a floppy drive and find the floppys for your hard disk because they are required
synnyzter
greatfire wrote:
ummmm. ur motherboard cd should have SATA drivers on it. Maybe try bunging that in the cd drive when it asks for floppy, otherwise all I can think of is to grab a floppy drive and find the floppys for your hard disk because they are required

You can always search that cd for those Raid drivers and toss em on a floppy. They typically arent big files at all.

As far as your drives registering at 127GB thats because your motherboards "LBA" isn't 48bit which is an update which removes this 127GB limit. The old 32bit (i think it was) LBA limits you to 127GB, 48bit extends this to somewhere in the 100's of TB's, i forget exactly. Look on your motherboards manufacturer website for a bios FLASH and install that. If there isn't one you can always install the drives at 127GB, download your Windows Updates which will include a fix for this then use a Partition Manager to apply the unallocated drive space to your OS partition "C:\". You can google for partition software as some are free, and they are ran from either a bootable floppy or CD. Hope this helps!