FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DXing: Is the hobby on the wane?

yagnyavalkya
For those who dont knwo what DXing is
here is a short definition
DXing is the hobby of tuning in and identifying distant radio signals, or making two way radio contact with distant stations in amateur radio, citizens band radio or other two way radio communications hobbies. Many DXers also attempt to receive written verifications of reception (sometimes referred to as "QSLs" or "veries") from the stations heard. The name of the hobby comes from DX, telegraphic shorthand for "distance" or "distant". ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DX_communication )
There are cards which report the SINPO S)ignal (I)nterference (N)oise (P)ropagation (O)verall
To get an example of the rating please check this out http://us.geocities.com/radio-dxer.geo/sinpo.html
Now coming to my comments on this hobby I feel that the hobby is on the wane because of the advent of INterent and other fast communicatuion mentods
I would like some comments on my observation
THis I am saying because I myself was a ardent DXer before the advent of the internet and after getting hooked to the internet I dont find DXing as exiting as it was before
More so because of lack of time I let down on the hobby
SImilarly I also feel that less and less people are taking to HAM radio as well after the internet
has taken all by the scruff of the neck
GSIS
In the early days of radio transmitting a signal a huge distance was an achievement. Receiving a signal from such a distance depended on knowledge of how radio and TV transmissions work, meteorology, and a lot of luck. Some of it was, and still is, also seasonal as successful reception depends on weather conditions and sometimes even the trails of ionised gas left by meteorites.

With the advent of satellite communication it became much easier to make long-range transmissions. Reception became correspondingly easier. Global communication became more routine so the hobby declined a little. Only a little, though, as public transmission via satellite was still prohibitively expensive for most radio amateurs.

Now we have public global communication for the masses. Any reasonably literate person with a little money can communicate easily with any other in the world. If receiving distant 'local' commercial broadcasts is your goal as a DXer you now have internet broadcasts to feed your need.

DXing still exists but the driving principles - the feeling of achievement of listening to a communication from a distant source - has gone. For this reason the popularity of DXing has declined.
jwellsy
I know it's not the same thing but my scanner covers 12 bands.

29.0 - 29.7 MHz 10 meter ham
29.7 - 50.0 MHz Low Band
50.0 - 54.0 MHz 6 meter ham
108 - 107 MHz aircraft
137 - 144 military
144 - 148 2 meter ham
148 - 174 high band
406 - 420 federal gov
420 - 450 70cm ham
450 - 470 UHF band
470 - 512 "T" band
806 - 956 "800" cordless phone band

It's a handheld Bearcat scanner, so it's cool to take to air shows and listen to the pilots or to race tracks to listen to the pit crews. I mainly use it to listen to the weather spotters during storms.
It doesn't broadcast so you don't need a FCC license.

I also have a CB mounted in my truck and a rechargeable handheld 40 channel CB that I used to carry in the field sometimes.

Now I mainly use a nice pair of rechargeable Motorola Talkabout radios. They are great for contacting your buddies in another car going down the highway and while on the slopes on a ski trip.

I keep looking to do some trading for some good used cheap ham gear.
It would be interesting, and may even come in handy.
outofnicks
Yes, it's been a long time since I've plugged in my shortwave radio as I lost interest after getting online 8 years ago.
There is one aspect of the shortwave scene I hope will never die, and that is the ham radio operators. Ham radio involvement is more than just a hobby, it's a noble activity that is needed in times of emergency when all other lines of communication is down. The internet may have redundant nodes of connectivity making it a fairly reliable mode of communication but if there's widespread power loss, only radio can be relied on.
For those interested in both computers and ham radio, packet radio is a neat alternative.
GSIS
outofnicks wrote:
Yes, it's been a long time since I've plugged in my shortwave radio as I lost interest after getting online 8 years ago.
There is one aspect of the shortwave scene I hope will never die, and that is the ham radio operators. Ham radio involvement is more than just a hobby, it's a noble activity that is needed in times of emergency when all other lines of communication is down. The internet may have redundant nodes of connectivity making it a fairly reliable mode of communication but if there's widespread power loss, only radio can be relied on.
For those interested in both computers and ham radio, packet radio is a neat alternative.

Just keep your radio gear in a metal box in case of EMP ...

Good point, though. In many incidents (coups, wars, invasions, natural disasters) it's often only the hams that can find a way to communicate.
Rico
Waning is a good synonym for becoming deceased. I used to do this late at knight back in the sixties before sex was invented.
yagnyavalkya
I thought sex was invented long before the 60s are you talking about the 1960s or much much before
bigt
yagnyavalkya wrote:
I thought sex was invented long before the 60s are you talking about the 1960s or much much before

I'll take food, water, and shelter over sex during a disaster. I'm keeping my amateur radio Smile
chatrack
Hi, I am a HAM Radio Operator. I beleave this hobby is king of all hobbies.