FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lightest weight laptop - which?

ainieas
Plz help me here. I plan on getting a laptop but the only criteria of selection for me is that it can't b heavy. I'll need to carry it around so i'm looking for preferably the lightest weighing laptop. So anyone knows of a laptop that fits the bill.
Another thing is that i'd possibly go for low priced ones without that many built-in capabilities like bluetooth or wifi, but i already have a bluetooth dongle as well as a card reader, so can i just not get an external wifi device and get it over with? I mean is there any noticeable difference in terms of performance between in-built and external devices?
And lastly, if i go for a system with low RAM and just buy a GB of RAM wudnt it be cheaper?
jackill
I can reccomend You:

MacBook 13'': http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Dell XPS: http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1330?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Sony VAIO (11,1"): http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowSiteSection.action?section=Cons_Home_en_GB_voe&site=voe_en_GB_cons

Or from cheaper ones Everex: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~cabcat0500000%23%230%23%2311a~~cabcat0502000%23%230%23%23o~~f444%7C%7C556c747261706f727461626c6520286c657373207468616e20342e35206c62732e29~~nf518%7C%7C4c657373207468616e2024373030&list=y&nrp=15&sc=abComputerSP&ks=960&usc=abcat0500000&sp=%2Bbrand+skuid&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime%3A%3E1900-01-01

Check also bestbuy.com with weigth filter.

All of them weigths less tahn 4-5 lbs and are very small Smile Normal 14" laptops are of course bigger, but Yu can find ligth one. But remember: if You want powerfull laptop with long battery life, that won't be ligth and portable. Personally I'd buy Mac Smile
ainieas
Thanks for replying mate. But i'm still undecided. To tell the truth i've never used a Mac. Is using it too different from the Windows?
The Dell looks good though.
jipmerite
I don't think the Dell XPS is very light. I am so in love with the Sony VAIOs right now. I think some of them come pretty light. You should definitely check them out before making a decision.
william
Some Sony Vaios, the Apple Macbook, the Dell XPS M1330, and this Asus notebook (trying to remember the model) are probably your best choices. All of them are pretty powerful notebooks for their size. The The Vaio and Macbook are around 5 pounds (I may be off) and the XPS M1330 is about 4 pounds. The Asus is just over 2 pounds, and I think there's a Toshiba (R200 if I remember correctly) that's about the same. All of these are pretty good in terms of quality, and the M1330 is about the only Dell I would ever recommend. Mind I ask what tasks you intend on performing? There can be a noticeable performance difference between them. Although, if basic tasks are all you want to do, they're all fine. As for using a Mac, OS X is a good operating system and it's pretty easy to use, in my opinion. If you're skeptical about using OS X, you can always use boot camp and run Windows. Just know, this is all coming from a Linux user. Now, as for getting external devices, you can go for that, there's virtually no difference in performance, however I don't how much you'll want external devices sticking out and taking up your ports. WiFi is found in almost every notebook, anyway, with the exceptions being barebones. And finally, upgrading the RAM on your own is something I often recommend. Notebook manufacturers tend to overcharge customers for RAM, so you can save money by ordering a stick off of Newegg. It's also very easy to upgrade, in most notebooks. Anyhow, if I find the model of the Asus notebook, I'll post it. It's one amazing ultraportable.
jackill
ainieas wrote:
Is using it too different from the Windows?

No, it's very easy to use and very similar to Windows, especially to Vista which is using MAcOS ideas Very Happy If fact You can install Windows on Macs with Inel Core 2 Duo processor. Thats normal laptop, but designed to perform vell on MacOS, all part are like in the other laptops. See here: http://nirlog.com/2006/03/18/winxp-and-osx-dual-boot-in-macbook-pro/
myrevolt
Might I add possible options such as the Fujitsu Lifebook P7230 (review; extra modular battery is what it has going for it), the Thinkpad x61 (not cheap at all, sorry; review). It is best to just go to a brick and mortar store and check out their display models to get an idea of what you are really interested in. Besides weight you need to decide how important battery life and specs are to you and what you will use it for. On lower end laptops IMHO install Windows XP (if you want to stick with Windows) or ideally a Linux (or BSD) distro that will run much lighter than bloated like Vista. And yes many many manufacturers (Dell, Sony, etc) will charge upwards of 4x the price you can buy additional RAM DIMMs from a reputable company like Crucial. If time is not an issue you may want to go to a rebrander's (most laptops are rebranded from ODMs) website and customize your build, you may be able to save some money skimping on bluetooth, webcams, etc.

And no I'm not advertising anything in particular, I have just done a large amount of research on the subject for myself Smile Best of luck on your decision!
DarkAkira
Either a MacBook 13" or a Vaio i guess.

MacBoks are great. I use it, and i now use it instead of my desktop.

Vaios are good and small, but sony support is a bitch for laptops. So i dont really recommend it (personally).

Another small notebook is the acer line of notebooks. They make some small lightweight ones.

There is a model of Toshiba Satellite that is also light.

Overall though, I'd personally say MacBook.
jackill
Acer is made like a crap:/ It's plastic-like supermarket laptop. Mac Book is far aheadd of it. It nearly piece of art Wink

andy26
What do do recomend is do not get a mac. are you looking for something cheap or expensive?
DarkAkira
andy26 wrote:
What do do recomend is do not get a mac. are you looking for something cheap or expensive?

That first part made absolutely no sense.

And when you say "dont get a mac", what do you mean?

Mac's are some of the thinnest and lightest notebooks around. Not to mention reliable, and the best bang for your buck (compared to other laptops from manufacturers with equal specs). And as I recall, the beginning of this thread was the person was looking for a lightweight notebook.

For this specific circumstance, personal preference is irrelevant. It is all up to the person looking to purchase a notebook. And as such, we should only post useful information. Not just statements like "dont get a mac" with no valid reason at all.
william
I had recommended an Asus laptop before, but I can't seem to find the model. They might have discontinued it. I'll keep recommending Asus, though. The two models that come to mind are the Asus W7S and Asus F9S. Both are pretty good machines, though the former might be a better buy. When I bought a laptop, Asus was one of my top two choices, but the only reason I chose not to get it was because of the battery life. If you don't need more that 2.5 hours (I think the model I'm trying to find has a lot more), Asus is a very good choice.

On a side note, I would like to point out that the Macbooks are built by Asus, and as far as I know, so is the XPS m1330 (not completely sure about the XPS, but chances are very high it's Asus). So, Asus does make some very solid notebooks.

So, in conclusion, I highly recommend Asus notebooks, but the XPS m1330 and the Macbook are also great machines.

Quote:
Not to mention reliable, and the best bang for your buck (compared to other laptops from manufacturers with equal specs).

This sentence caught my attention. I do agree that Macbooks are good bang for your buck when compared to the big name brands. However, I have a laptop that costs $500-$700 less than the Macbook Pro, and has comparable specifications, and can easily compete with the Macbook Pro. It's branded as a Sager, so it's no big brand name. Wink

I just like to point out how the smaller brand names have some solid laptops at amazing prices. but yes, I do agree if you're comparing to big brand names. Very Happy
ainieas
I'm real sorry i haven't been able to post my thanks to evryone replying to this thead. Anyways a big thanks to everyone. I'm still undecided which model to go with but now the thing is i realized i'm not as rich as i thought i was, so i'll have to buy my laptop second hand. Now there is another problem i face - everyone tells me with second hand laptops i'll face battery problems. Is that common with second hand laptops? Secondly would a new battery cost me a fortune?
william
Well, I think the battery problems depend on how old the laptop is. Laptop batteries don't last forever, and after several charges and discharges, they start to wear out. They gradually lose their charge time, and after about 3 years (with proper care) are of little use. If you do buy a laptop that's a bit old, a new battery might be necessary, but that also does depend on how much battery life you need. Also, getting a new battery can cost $100-$150. It does depend on how big of a battery you get. ~$100 could get you a 6 cell, and possibly an 8 cell, and $150 can get you a 9 or 12 cell.
ainieas
I kinda decided i'll jst go for a Mac since its so highly recommended Wink. But anyone got any insight what i should keep in mind while buying a second hand machine, besides the battery?
DarkAkira
TRY to get n intel based Mac. PPC macs just dont cut it. They were great when they were first developed, but PPC is really short lived.

Try to go for a Core Duo intel Mac (not core 2, core 2 is current, core duo is last generation). Also, keep an eye out for if the screen has many dead pixls. One or 2 is ok, but more than 4 is bleh.

And of course, get a new battery. They're not too expensive. Also, for an OS, use Tiger or Leopard. DO NOT USE 10.3 or lower. Not worth it. 10.4 and up for Operating System.
ainieas
DarkAkira wrote:
TRY to get n intel based Mac. PPC macs just dont cut it. They were great when they were first developed, but PPC is really short lived.

Try to go for a Core Duo intel Mac (not core 2, core 2 is current, core duo is last generation). Also, keep an eye out for if the screen has many dead pixls. One or 2 is ok, but more than 4 is bleh.

And of course, get a new battery. They're not too expensive. Also, for an OS, use Tiger or Leopard. DO NOT USE 10.3 or lower. Not worth it. 10.4 and up for Operating System.

Thank you so much for replying. One last thng, incase i can't get a Mac and hv2go wid anothr brand then i guess the advice about the dead pixels on the screen and dual core would still remain but then would there be any more other considerations too? Thank you! Smile
Arnie
William, do you mean the Eee pc?
william
Nah, not the Eee PC. I tend to refer to that as a large UMPC, but it is definitely capable little machine. I have considered getting one of those quite a few times because of the price. Although, the one I was searching for has either an 11" or 12" screen. I just don't see why I can't seem to find it again.

Anyhow, if you do get a Mac, the things DarkAkira pointed out should be taken into consideration for sure. I really can't think of anything else if you get a Mac.

If you get a PC, the main thing I can say is that if you're planning on using Vista, be sure to get the 1 GB of RAM. If you get one with less, be sure there's an extra slot free for expansion. Though, it's best that you stick with XP. I'd also say to avoid CPUs older than the Core Duo. If you buy a used laptop and manage to see it in person, I would also suggest that you make sure no unusual sounds come out. It could be a cooling problem, hard disk or optical disk problem, or something else. Primarily make sure that the cooling on the laptop is functional. In some laptops, the cooling system tends to fail after awhile. Trust me, cooling is VERY important.
DarkAkira
ainieas wrote:

Thank you so much for replying. One last thng, incase i can't get a Mac and hv2go wid anothr brand then i guess the advice about the dead pixels on the screen and dual core would still remain but then would there be any more other considerations too? Thank you! Smile

For a standard laptop, things to consider.

1. Be sure you get a laptop running WinXP SP2. You DO NOT want Vista. Too many problems, terrible on older systems. And Vista actually gives you worse battery life than XP (tested by me and a friend)

2. Battery, Dead Pixels, etc...

3. For standard PC's, look for something Pentium M series or above. Anything lower isn't recommended. Pentium is strong and powerful enough to last you for a few years at least. And since it is a few models ago, laptops with them are pretty cheap.

Thats about it for now.
skypecastq
I had a similar worry when buying my laptop, but i found that it was best co compromise a little weight for better value and performance. Weight isn't everything!
whitehole
I have a dell xps 12" and it is awesome. It weights less than my college books. It has over 5 hours of battery life in the lowest settings. I has its own gfx card which is nice. And ALL of the time people are commenting on how nice the screen resolution is.

Total weight is about 5 lbs and the newer 13" one that came out this year is even lighter, 3-4 lbs. I think.

Good luck with your choice.
Arnie
whitehole wrote:
It weights less than my college books
That's not so impressive, assuming your college books are as large and heavy as mine! Very Happy