FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What's with Gameing?






What are the best web games?
play or ?
77%
 77%  [ 17 ]
not to play?
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

WebKitten
Shocked

Everywhere I go I see people play games. I mean really! How much time can people devote to some silly games?
It does not even matter what age ppl are. as young as 0 to 100 at least.
Did we come to this earth just to PASS the time lol?
What's the point?

Is there something truly beneficial in web or other games?

please share your comments [size=18]
[/b] Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Arrow Idea [/b][/size]
Legolas710
Actually, depending on what type of game it is and what you do, they can be very helpful. For example, multiplayer games can help develop social skills. Games where you play as a leader can at times help with leadership. Sometimes games can be really good. I do actually know alot about this matter, not just becuase I play games occasionally, but I make them. Also, do you have something against games or something? Or just posting to see the results Confused?
amysanders
Well i agree with the post above i think games in some cases can be helpfull and you can learn facts you didnt know before such as war games can teach about the history of war i found one of the medal of honor games helped be back at school probably sounds a bit crazy but it did. im also a game designer im curently moding Half - Life 2. P.S games rock have you got something against them?
dray101
Legolas710 wrote:
Actually, depending on what type of game it is and what you do, they can be very helpful. For example, multiplayer games can help develop social skills. Games where you play as a leader can at times help with leadership. Sometimes games can be really good. I do actually know alot about this matter, not just becuase I play games occasionally, but I make them. Also, do you have something against games or something? Or just posting to see the results Confused?


Lol thats very funny. I very much doubt having a impersonal experience with a unknown person during a multiplayer game will do anything to increase you social skills. To the contrary because it is very likely you are playing during time that fellow peers are actually socialising (ie. face to face or at least MSN picture to MSN picture) you are likely to to be missing out on a chance to learn social skills.

However, I will not deny that you can learn some stuff from games (especially the stupid educational ones). From Civilization 3 and 4 i have learnt quite a lot about past leaders, wonders, and quite a bit about geography and such. But I sure haven't learnt any social skills.
WebKitten
There are many kind of games and I have played some
of them, but at some point they get very boring. Especially lately.
Even in the relationships, gamers always play games.
I mean I understand if it is fun and all for all involved, but some people
just do not care if the other wants to play or not. they just assume it should
be fun for everyone?
I think men get bored from talking or something and others just would like to
talk,look into the eyes of a person or a heart or anything more personal (lol).
I think we should give games a certain amount of time may b for educational or
healthy fun reasons , but not devoting our "socializing" time.

And what about these war games, violence? Is this supposed to be better for your "peace on earth" thing? Not even funny!


And just so I answer your question. I posted this for an extremely personal reasons. (not so hard to guess)
Sad Arrow Exclamation
catscratches
Well, isn't it better to go kill peoples in games than in reality? That's where war games come in =P Cause we all like to kill people don't we?

Anyways, I personally don't play games, even though I make my own ones.
Klaw 2
I play war game's but not so much (last 2 weeks i played 14 hours or so) i just play them and have fun but.

That's the point about war games having fun you dont really learn something (all people know that if someone throws a grenade at you, you must run away and to duck and stuff). The only thing is that you get faster reflexes.

But I agree people need to socialize in real life and socializing in multiplayer is not really socializing. Its more like pumping each other full with lead and say some cheesy line and repeat, repeat and so on.
Chelissamow
I only play games because I think they're fun. And you can meet new people on them. I agree that it's not really socializing but other people might be too shy to actually socialize so they use the internet. o_O Hey, online socializing is better than no socializing.
snowboardalliance
dray101 wrote:
Legolas710 wrote:
Actually, depending on what type of game it is and what you do, they can be very helpful. For example, multiplayer games can help develop social skills. Games where you play as a leader can at times help with leadership. Sometimes games can be really good. I do actually know alot about this matter, not just becuase I play games occasionally, but I make them. Also, do you have something against games or something? Or just posting to see the results Confused?


Lol thats very funny. I very much doubt having a impersonal experience with a unknown person during a multiplayer game will do anything to increase you social skills. To the contrary because it is very likely you are playing during time that fellow peers are actually socialising (ie. face to face or at least MSN picture to MSN picture) you are likely to to be missing out on a chance to learn social skills.

However, I will not deny that you can learn some stuff from games (especially the stupid educational ones). From Civilization 3 and 4 i have learnt quite a lot about past leaders, wonders, and quite a bit about geography and such. But I sure haven't learnt any social skills.


While games can be good because they can help hand eye coordination and other skills like that, and also are probably more stimulating for your brain than just staring at the TV, I don't think they help with social skills unless you have some friends over to play together.
reddishblue
What if everyone just played a video game instead of doing something violent, that would help "peace on Earth" although, I'm not actually sure who you are addressing there.

I don't get your problem with games though...if you are being ignored in their favour then it may be a good idea to tell him this and not just go to a forum and blab about how what everyone else likes suck, and how we should do what you say.

No, unless the other player is sitting next to you, there will be no benifit for social skills, I mean, what can be obtained if you yell "Owned" though a headset at a ten year old, I'll let you answer that, but I assure you, it won't be much.

I suppose it could be said that you may learn something about history and other such subjects from a game, but that is simply not a substitute for a real book, a game will change the history for the sake of improved gameplay, maybe even creating wars that never occured in the first place.

No, games have few benifits for people, but we get bored and games are fun, especially with others to go against.

And WebKitten, while you seem to be completely against them, I think it's a good idea to at least learn to tolerate them, since they are only going to get more common.

Personally, I now only play flash games, as they became too expensive for me to keep on buying, but I have both an Xbox and a Gamecube, and I only ever play the Gamecube.

Reddish
Nameless
Fun game! Take the original post and replace 'play games' with any other non constructive recreational past time. Reading, watching TV, conversing everything and the argument still holds true. It's amazing how much of my life has been thoroughly denounced now. Why don't you try?

WebKitten wrote:
Shocked

Everywhere I go I see people post topics. I mean really! How much time can people devote to some silly internet discussion?
It does not even matter what age ppl are. as young as 0 to 100 at least.
Did we come to this earth just to PASS the time lol?
What's the point?

Is there something truly beneficial in web or other polls?

please share your comments [size=18]
[/b] Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Arrow Idea [/b][/size]


It really works!
PseudoKnight
1. Learning / Exercising the mind

There are games, most notably puzzle games, that are great for excercising the mind. People play Sudoku or crossword puzzles to keep their mind sharp. The same applies to other games where critical thinking skills are rewarded, even war games. Most games aren't that educational, though, but some are. It's a great medium for education for young kids if properly taken advantage of. Remember Oregon Trail? There's a whole genre of games called "Serious Games" that are created to educate or train individuals.

2. Entertainment

Singleplayer games or multiplayer games can be high quality entertainment just like movies, except because you're interacting with them it's more stimulating to your mind. For singleplayer games, there are some very unique settings and stories that you just can't find in other mediums. Look at Psychonauts for an example of this. There's still a lot to explore in games as an art form.

3. Social life

Many many gamers use games as a medium for their social life. This is how I started into gaming. I really enjoyed playing and making up games with friends. However, when I found a lack of people willing to play locally, I found friends online as well. Anonymously, multiplayer gaming is not much of a social experience. But once you get to know people and talk over ventrilo regularly, it's nearly just as capable a medium as face-to-face for a social life. My best friend is online and I was just never able to find someone quite like him anywhere in "real" life, as they call it. Finally, the genre of games called MMOs are often games as an excuse to socialize. People will play them just because their friends are there... and just to hang out while talking about other things. (though I can't say I've personally ever gotten into an MMO)
spykE
There's a lot of things in life which you could say are useless, it all depends on your point of view. I mean if you go to school, you can ask yourself why do I waste my time on learning foreign languages? Its the same with games etc. Not everything serves you directly, instead indirectly. Games can for example improve your senses, social skills online,... And so on.
ForceRun
The Latest PCGamer mag had a bunch of stuff about why games are good for you. The only real thing that gaming can devolop is good problem solving skillz. But other than that there is very little beinft from gaming but having fun. And I agree that gaming don't build social skillz, lanning doesn't hirt them though.
PseudoKnight
Re: social skills

It's certainly better than television, the pastime that gaming is replacing. Also, interfaces for social interaction are improving with time. Five years ago only a handful of games had voice communication and I think none had webcam support. I know it doesn't apply to today, but in the future "gaming" will be a potentially superior medium for social interaction than real life given the broader range of capabilities in an imaginative virtual space.
mynameis
sorry dude its just what we do. you could say omg reading i mean whats up with that? and people would say the same thing we're not wasting our lives away nor are people who watch trains or boats or birds its just what they like doing. I do lots of other things and thats just who i am..
ps: i the size of your writting annoys me
smartpandian
its a matter of choice...
KHO
Its a simple method of spending your down time. I relax playing a game when I dont have work to do, but others often neglect work to play games and turn it into a life style. Fact is, they are addicting. Once you find a good one, you often can't stop, and its very easy to get sucked into the new world you've found, a world where you don't have to take out the trash, your parents or spouse don't complain to you or nag at you, and your insignificant existence actually has a chance at meaning something in a place like this.
DarkCovenant
Ahahha im going to get some hate for this..

Games... can be a major key thing in life... we talk about wasting time, games are useless, no advances.. yes they all apply. Many people like me drown themselves in this gaming world, we come home from college, sit down, and just start playing games just like that.. wasting time.. one could say.

But then, sleep, in my opinion is the ultimate waste of time (luckily because of my body, i dont need sleep that much hehe). Well to back up, here, I dont believe any of that i just said above. Run down- Games are a blast. You can watch movies, read books, watch TV, hang out with friends, have a girlfriend, play games, dirt biking, just going out for a ride, a walk, a swim, partying, sports, arguing on forums, among many things. In how we spend the time, As some may choose only a few, to others is a waste. Yes.. its opinionatedly designated, But its not that simple.

So now im going to take the side of the Gamers Razz as im a hardcore gamer haha.


Games.. Games games and games.. Theres lots of them out there, so many that causes a huge division in gamers themselves. Well for one, they arnt silly, as i can just as easily say Books are silly. In fact i can make it much more so reasonable- You read a book and just imagine whats going on, whether or not if thats similar to what the author had in mind when writing it. Thats all. Games, Yes, youre being fed the information, But youre also realizing it, Youre not imagining whats going on, but you are imagining whats going outside of what youre seeing, You are imagining whats going to happen next, predict and react, and in some cases even communicate, where books just fail in their Entirety outside of imagination. You can predict whats happening next in a book, but you can do Nothing to change whats happening next, everytime you re-read a book, its Never going to change, Only your perspective on whats happening could be more precise the next time around.

But that argument only applies to those who try to criticize games as a seemingly immature and un-filling experience as books.

Games are not Silly firstly; theyre incredible, fun, action packed, and create jobs and dreams. Whats the point? Thats too much of an open ended question. Thats like questioning whats the point in living? Yeah, answering that kind of question would just lead to a whole different universe of off-topic ness lol. So i'll round it off to what games give us?

Satisfaction- beating a game is just as satisfying as reading a good book, the storyline, the gameplay, and conclusion getting to the end through the whole struggle is just immeasurable in some aspects. It really completes the essence of gaming.

Respect- Gamers above all, can easily be distinguished from other games, gamers earn respect for some kinds of actions, and skills that is very similar to winning championships. With clans, this respect is taken to new levels with clan leaders and more people who standout with game skills.

Not a Waste-If theres one way games arent a waste if time, its getting things moving without pause. Real life things go slow, organizing events takes months if not years and sometimes wont even go at all. Without the need for organizing a stadium, crowds/fans, players- the gaming world is entirely organized chaos, theres alot of disorganization, but yet games still get played, and players can still play against eachother.

Intensity and Reliance (Teamwork+) - Just in sports, Theres a huge level of intensity throughout games, Dependence even. For multiplayer games online, theres just a HUGE impact of expectations. Whether its other people waiting for you to come around a corner to surprise attack you, or other teammates relying on your necessary position to help win the game. The intensity/pressure rises along with the dependency and this just makes games all the more fun.

Fun-Why do you choose to hang out with friends? Go to parties? Sports? Anything? Because you like to! Games are the exact same way for all of us. Theyre a blast, Relying on friends to be there, Loving the fighting, earning respect and admiration (yes, this exists in the gaming world- Koreans have earned Total respect as the Champions of Starcraft in the entire world), and just pure determination and satisfaction. Hopefully others like me Love the fight, the challenge. Especially in online multiplayer games (NON MMOS!!) where everyones equally fighting against each other trying to reach the top.. its just fantastic.... Especially in Team Deathmatches.. where you can have the chance to lead a team to victory.. its just a blast in its entirety.. and this is just a small little window into gaming.. This is more like magnifying in on just a small part of it, and missing the other huge part.. that would take years to explain, and years of experience to understand. So ill leave off here, Games are easily left to be awesome and are not just silly little tid bits of wastes of time, in fact they give many people, even like me, who work in the business, dreams of exceeding limitations.
Fire Boar
DarkCovenant wrote:
Fun-Why do you choose to hang out with friends? Go to parties? Sports? Anything? Because you like to! Games are the exact same way for all of us. Theyre a blast, Relying on friends to be there, Loving the fighting, earning respect and admiration (yes, this exists in the gaming world- Koreans have earned Total respect as the Champions of Starcraft in the entire world), and just pure determination and satisfaction. Hopefully others like me Love the fight, the challenge. Especially in online multiplayer games (NON MMOS!!) where everyones equally fighting against each other trying to reach the top.. its just fantastic.... Especially in Team Deathmatches.. where you can have the chance to lead a team to victory.. its just a blast in its entirety.. and this is just a small little window into gaming.. This is more like magnifying in on just a small part of it, and missing the other huge part.. that would take years to explain, and years of experience to understand. So ill leave off here, Games are easily left to be awesome and are not just silly little tid bits of wastes of time, in fact they give many people, even like me, who work in the business, dreams of exceeding limitations.


Amen to that! Fun is really what games are all about, in my opinion. Some hate? Naa, you've got the right idea here. Gaming is fun.

Oh, and WebKitten?

Please don't use enormous fonts for your whole posts - if you have trouble seeing text then please increase the text size on your web browser. It's disorientating having posts all different shapes and sizes. Thanks.
Dean_The_Great
The above two posts have the right idea. Play for fun, enjoy gaming responsibly, and if you're having problems with a significant other over games, TALK TO HIM. He most likely won't ever stop, but he'll probably stop ignoring you for the games.
Miriah
dray101 wrote:
I very much doubt having a impersonal experience with a unknown person during a multiplayer game will do anything to increase you social skills. To the contrary because it is very likely you are playing during time that fellow peers are actually socialising (ie. face to face or at least MSN picture to MSN picture) you are likely to to be missing out on a chance to learn social skills.


Confused Embarassed Not everyone is able to socialize. I know I personally have problems interacting with other people. I DO learn various social skills from connecting with others online in games....and this isn't the topic, but I obtain social skills from chatting as well. I do not understand many jokes, and I laugh more at the fact that I can ruin any joke by asking "why?" about them, than I do because the joke is funny. I have to ask "why?" about most things, I simply do not understand why people do things. The GOOD thing is that this allows me to remain objective most of the time....and if I have been in a situation before and have a "file" of experiences similar - I can interact.... Games help there too. Some of the experiences from a game emulate experiences from life...these help me to understand what to do in different situations as well.

Just thought I would share that games...ARE helpful...
gh0strec0n_legit
Well TBH gaming is very sociable if you play on Xbox Live/ PSN/ Etc...It makes you feel more comfortable talking to people. Example: Lets say your not sure how people will react to you so you say a joke with completely random people. They Laugh. You try this with kids at school and as things like this happen over and over you begin to get more friends and get confidence. This helps you feel better about yourself and talk to peers.
Miriah
gh0strec0n_legit wrote:
a joke with completely random people.............. This helps you feel better about yourself and talk to peers.


I do not understand humor well enough (9/10 of the time) to attempt jokes in person...and what I do understand of humor, mainly playing with words, I am to nervous to try. I can play with words here....

I mangle jokes so bad usually, they are in ICU for months.

I am not usually good at this kind of humor in person unless I know the people I am around really really really well. I am not pitying myself though - if I am coming across that way (another thing about me, I don't KNOW how I am "coming across" to people, I have no idea, I guess and ask....). I am pretty happy with myself. My children understand my version of humor, and we play games together.

One of our favorite games to play (not together, we compare scores) is Alice Greenfingers. The girl in the game (Alice) grows vegetables, flowers, and fruit to sell at the "market". Smile My daughter is still giving me pointers on how to play. Smile

I am comfortable around my kids and about 3 or 4 adults. The rest of humanity off the computer scares me. I know not everyone is like this...but I have a disorder that makes me perfect for computers, not computers perfect for me. Games and interaction in the games gives me a way to be social without having to do the "scared stiff as a board" "freezing" "statue" thing every time someone wants to talk to me.
Zombie
I think video games build creativity and lightning reflexes. I mean those rail-gun fragging skills could come in handy if you ever had to face a crowd of real life zombies. And with your newly acquired skills, you could smoke them creatively.
Vladalf
Zombie wrote:
I think video games build creativity and lightning reflexes. I mean those rail-gun fragging skills could come in handy if you ever had to face a crowd of real life zombies. And with your newly acquired skills, you could smoke them creatively.

I understand the meaning of life now
monsterskuad
im a gamer, not so much anymore less free time and more work but i still like to play once in a while. people do socialize during online multiplayer games, asside from the ****** who just wants to be an ****** there are people conversating about everything from comics to politics. you can also learn teamwork skills and talk to people across the globe.

i do think your online time should be limited though. microsoft, sony and nintendo should have parental options to limit online access to a certain amount of hours a day or week.

the wii is a great system for kids, my girlfriend bought one for her little brother so he would do something more active than sit and play games all day. even though hes still playing a video game he has more of a physical activity and believe me an hour or 2 of playing them sports games you gotta burn some calories
Legolas710
Once again, games are awesome. Wink

I still don't see what you have against them... Razz
wabik90
... It's hard to say what is the real point of playing games and spending lots of time on them. I love computer games. You can relax and forgot about all problems you have when you're playing some games(especially shooters;p). Also, I think people like them because they create second reality and you can feel like other guy and try some new things which would be impossible in real world(that's why I love GTA series).

Tip for the future: Don't think why you play them, just play them... a lot!!!

Cheers Very Happy
ForceRun
I just spend all weekend with 120 people (Yes there were a few girls) gaming at the Intel Lan Fest Sacramento II in CA. I can tell you gaming is very alive. We had a great time, and it is great to actually meet the guys you are gaming with. It takes the game to the next level, when you are sitting next to your team mates through a tourney and get to chat with your victoms after the round. So gaming really doesn't do much good, but it is fun.
dfebb
WebKitten wrote:
There are many kind of games and I have played some
of them, but at some point they get very boring. Especially lately.
Even in the relationships, gamers always play games.
I mean I understand if it is fun and all for all involved, but some people
just do not care if the other wants to play or not. they just assume it should
be fun for everyone?
I think men get bored from talking or something and others just would like to
talk,look into the eyes of a person or a heart or anything more personal (lol).
I think we should give games a certain amount of time may b for educational or
healthy fun reasons , but not devoting our "socializing" time.

And what about these war games, violence? Is this supposed to be better for your "peace on earth" thing? Not even funny!


And just so I answer your question. I posted this for an extremely personal reasons. (not so hard to guess)
Sad Arrow Exclamation
Sounds like a WoW widow. Cool

You poor thing.

I'm addicted to computer games, and I think it's something that affects a lot of people, WebKitten. I've been playing computer games since I could press keys on a keyboard (back before there were things like a 'mouse' Razz). I'll easily clock 10-20 hours a week playing games. Very Happy

I think that the premise that people socialise online, be it in multiplayer games, forums or otherwise, is not really true, but it's a virtual relationship. It's not an actual one. Going to meets or conventions and meeting people face-to-face, that's a different story. Having a friend online, communicating with people without them being in your presence, for mine, isn't a 'real' relationship.

I think WebKitten's plight touches on more than just games, though, I think it applies to the times we live in. The modern age with screens in every window, in everyone's faces all of the time... back in the days when people didn't have these distractions, people would entertain themselves by each others company.

Don't get me wrong here, I love gaming. Football Manager, Civilization, Counter-Strike, they rate amongst my favourite games. I also roleplay as well, so I spend a lot of time involved in these activities. They stimulate the imagination, they bring your mind places... they can educate, they can increase your vocabulary, make you a more articulate person. Above all, yeah, they are fun. You wouldn't play them otherwise.

But, a balance is needed. Exclamation

When I step away from my pc, the game ends there. Some people can't do this. They can only associate with people who involved in the same things they are. They feel uncomfortable in many social situations and avoid contact with people because of it. This is what prolonged disconnection can lead to.

Without friends and family, a human is disconnected from their environment. With such complex and beautiful creatures such as humans, and with such rich and intricate environments that we live in, perhaps people should be devoting more time to each other, and to the world in which they live, instead of staring at screens for prolonged periods, be they televisions, computer monitors or handheld LCD screens.
kicy
Though games are fun, they, in most cases, do not help you socially. Being behind a computer screen is not the same as talking to someone. Fortunatly, for me I had a life before I started playing video games so I know how to talk to people. Unfortunatly, I have a friend who plays as much games as I do and he never talks to anybody and doesn't really care. In additon the only thing he talks about are games, I don't mind, but I like talking to everybody and they talk about other things so he doesn't really say anything.

The point is make real friends.
Related topics
Battlefield 2
Windows Vista Official Thread
A Great GTA Site!!
cs clan 1,6
getting more traffic?
has anyone worked with dual xeons?
Gaming PRocessor?
Games on the lession table in Denmark
What would you do with a new Computer?
WM5+MPX200
Please explain CS
What is better? Radeon or nVidia?
Your online routine
Do you recomend frihost?
Ranks images
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.