FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

which font is condsidered to look the most professional

davidj411
i hear that Helvetica just turned 50 years old and that BMW and the IRS use it on their documents.
i don't really like it that much and find myself using Arial most of the time. however, is that considered to be the best most professional font to use? post your opinion please.
{name here}
I just use sans-serif and that's the basic end of it since sans-serif fonts generally look very similar to eachother. I only use this in web design however. It's usually considered good to use a serif font like Times New Roman and Georgia (a favorite of mine) when writing letters probably because it creates rather clear letters compared to some sans-serif fonts.
Legolas710
I don't really preffer to use Times New Romans becuase most everyone has seen it before. At the moment Calibri is probably my favorite to use.
minik
I use Tahoma a lot. It looks quite clean. My favourite professional font, though, would have to be Compacta BT. It's used on the cover of my favourite series of books.
silvertailsfox
If you're looking for fonts without serifs for web design I recommend tahoma or verdana. Verdana usually only looks good when it's less than 10 pt tho.

They're very common fonts so they'll probably display correctly on most people's computers. Don't go for fancy fonts and never use fonts that you have to download. If a computer doesn't have a font, it'll choose something else that may make your site look less stellar.
dinael
What about Calibri. It's nice and clean. Or Segoe UI. They both look a like, and are really good.
teknotom
I just use Arial. Nice, clean, standard font. Everyone can read it, no serifs etc.
jylan
I reckon that Garamond and Trebuchet MS look really professional.
Aredon
When it comes to coding, it is preferable to use as a monospace font so the characters of the script line-up.
As far as picking a monospace font, I have notepad set to Lucida Console.
When it comes to the web, it is important to provide alternative font faces. Chances are that your favorite font is one which you've acquired manually and other people don't have it. That is where font embedding might be worth looking into.

If you are interested in font embedding, google the "pfr"(Portable Font Resource) and "eot"(Embedded Open Type) file extensions. Once the font file is on your server you simply link to them from CSS.
To embed an EOT file:
Code:

<style type="text/css">
@font-face{
font-family:'my font name';
font-style:italic;
font-weight:normal;
src:url(externalfontfile.eot); }
</style>

To embed a PFR file:
Code:

<link rel="fontdef" SRC="myexternalfontfile.pfr">

I think one of the coolest things about font embedding is that you can specify a list of fonts to use if your font fails to load:
Code:

<style type="text/css">
div#einstein span.handwriting{
font-family:'my font name',arial,sans-serif;
}
</style>
{name here}
Legolas710 wrote:
I don't really preffer to use Times New Romans becuase most everyone has seen it before. At the moment Calibri is probably my favorite to use.

In letters it doesn't really matter. I personally like it in letters, but it looks old in Web Design.
melissareich
I use Tahoma... it's really perfect, clean, easy to read. Sometimes any fonts can look professional... well standard fonts that mostly everyone has listed, but as I was saying, most can look professional just by making the font size generally readable (10px/11px) and maybe increasing the letter-spacing. You can also use percents (%) instead of px.
Donutey
Any basic and clean font will work, preferably as minimally stylistic as possible. Serif or non-serif, most pages go for non-serif as it is more "modern" looking, but the new york times is able to pull of using serif fonts quite well in my opinion.
n0rw1n
I used Verdana, but now i use Tahoma and Garamond for the headings
Arnie
davidj411 wrote:
i hear that Helvetica just turned 50 years old and that BMW and the IRS use it on their documents.
i don't really like it that much and find myself using Arial most of the time.
Are you joking? Arial and Helvetica are nearly identical! Arial is simply the Microsoft version of Helvetica with very minor differences...

Don't believe me?