FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

why does microsoft word create HTML pages with so many tags?

davidj411
my girlfriend converted some "word" .doc documents to HTML for web posting. When i went to look at the HTML to make it a bit better, it looked like XML was embedded everywhere.
1) why does word "mark it up" so much?
2) does it effect the loading time?
3) is there any benefit to making the document so "heavy"?
coeus
1) No idea, microsoft is retarded?
2) Yes
3) Is there any benefit to a racing car weighing MORE ?
{name here}
Microsoft always makes bloated software, and .doc itself is a bloated unclean format. Some of the lines of the HTML look like they're trying to take credit for the template, and some of them look either deprecated, utterly useless, bad form, or unnecessary - probably something to do with IE. The people that work on Word either don't know HTML, or they do know it but Stevey B. doesn't want it to change for some reason.
GSIS
Perhaps they've just written a system that tries to solve every problem they think might need to be solved. Instead of writing clean, efficient HTML with only the required tags they write out all the unnecessary stuff as well.
Handyman
Has there ever been a microsoft program that has produced clean code, NO. I think that they have to add as much extra as they can so that the code can be viewed properly by as many people as possible.

You would asume that clean code would accomplish that task, but I guess that the programers need to justify there job with complicated code to create job security for them selves.
Flakky
I guess that converting it to an html page was just a little extra which came out unfinished. They've used a way to store everything and not to store it when it has changed.
Yes it does.
Nope it doesn't.
imagefree
Flakky wrote:
I guess that converting it to an html page was just a little extra which came out unfinished. They've used a way to store everything and not to store it when it has changed.
Yes it does.
Nope it doesn't.

i think there is a benifit of doing this. I have never converted a word document to html but i think when WORD converts the documents, it saves all the extra info that is attach to the file, to the html file.
cavey
Word uses a similar markup language as html when you edit a word document (only you cannot see the code), they have not heard of less is more. I guess this is converted to html without cleaning it up.

Word is a word prossessor. It is not meant for making html-pages. You should NEVER use Word for making your webpages. Even Frontpage is better (believe it or not!).

The more code the webpage contains, the longer time the webpage needs to load. And the more data is transferred. Usually you cannot notice the difference, but imagine a huge site with lots of visitors everyday - that will be a lot of unnessasary traffic.
jylan
I think it emerged that Bill Gates had directed all the Microsoft product teams to make software that would produce bloated, incompatible and disgusting code.
imagefree
jylan wrote:
I think it emerged that Bill Gates had directed all the Microsoft product teams to make software that would produce bloated, incompatible and disgusting code.

and the microsoft team is successul in doing this Very Happy