FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help me understanding this

imagefree
I have read these two lines somewhere else, please can you tell me what does it mean

"Since version 4, PHP differs architecturally from some other server-side tools and even from PHP3. PHP is now dynamically compiled which makes it faster at runtime."
Also read about this that after this, php comes into the same class as perl.

"Since PHP4, the scripting engine Zend has also been separate from the scripting language (php)."

What does they mean?
AftershockVibe
Dynamic compilation means that the runtime environment can make changes to the exact way a program runs while it is being executed. It basically sees what the program is doing as it runs then makes sensible adustments to improve efficiency. Like say, making a conditional call inline instead of instanciated separately if it discovers that for the majority of the time the conditional statement causes it to be executed. (I think, I made that up, someone correct this if I'm wrong or there is a better example).

The Zend engine is what runs the code that PHP produces. So, you have your PHP interpreter which works out what your code is instructing PHP to do. This PHP interpreter then talks to the Zend engine which does the actual processing. To a user this split should be transparent but it makes sense in an organisational way for the developers.