FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The future of .. everything?

Urban
I'm asking myself a big question these days and I would like to know your opinion about it.

How will be the world of Internet in 50 years? We can't save everything! in 50 years, YouTube (or maybe a new website such as youtube) will have how many video? They can't have a unlimited number of video because it's taking space, and we don't have unlimited space!

Another example : "Steam", if we want to play games like Counter-Strike or Half-Life we must use this system. We connect to Steam and we are able to open the game, we can't play offline. In 50 years, will we be able to play it again? If the company die, we won't be able to play the game anymore! But the problem is that we paid for this game and we never signed a deal about this, we paid to play to the game with no time limit! I think online gaming is the best example because if the company die, the game die too!

I have another example but a bit different. If tomorrow, Bondings (Frihost founder) die in a car accident, who will take care of the servers, of the community? I don't know him so I will only imagine the situation but lets say that his familly don't have the skill to deal with a web hosting business. I guess he have real life friends here (moderating) who will replace him BUT, do they have the authorization to? If your parents die and they want to "bequeath" (I translated this word from french) their car to you, they must have made a "will" (again it's translated from "testament".. I don't know if its the good word). If they don't made one, you won't be able to prove that the car should be your! So what will happen if Bondings die? Maybe no one will replace him and it's the end of this community?

I will finish this topic with a quote of what one of my « friend » told me when I asked him the question :
Quote:
the olders of our generation have tried to predict the future and they failed, only time will tell

What is your opinion?

(I made my best to write this topic, sorry if you can't understand the main idea)

Jp.
rvec
Quote:
If tomorrow, Bondings (Frihost founder) die in a car accident, who will take care of the servers, of the community?

Communism will prevail Twisted Evil (don't ask)

I don't think Internet (like we know it) will exist anymore. I think everything will be wireless, we will all have screens ,pc build in it like a mac but portable like a lightweight laptop, and everything will go faster. Time will be even more important and everyone will suffer from a burnout at least once. We will have small robots to do most cleaning and everyone will hate the robots and pc's for their malfunctions.

Microsoft will still be the greatest OS developer but google will launch an ubuntu based OS to compete with MS.

File sharing will be all legal. Movie and music corporations will add advertising to the free on-line products and ask small fees for ad-free products. Blue-ray will never be a big hit because everyone uses the LAN to transfer files and hard drives (up to tens of TB) to save files.
Helios
I agree with Rvec mostly. That is because I don't really know, or can't really think of how the future will be.
Hmm... maybe Microsoft won't be here in the future though. Part of the software development will be in the hands of small companies, and the other part will be 'open source'. That's what I think...
standready
Urban wrote:
Another example : "Steam", if we want to play games like Counter-Strike or Half-Life we must use this system. We connect to Steam and we are able to open the game, we can't play offline. In 50 years, will we be able to play it again? If the company die, we won't be able to play the game anymore! But the problem is that we paid for this game and we never signed a deal about this, we paid to play to the game with no time limit! I think online gaming is the best example because if the company die, the game die too!.

Unless another company buys them which, of course, is possible.

Urban wrote:
I have another example but a bit different. If tomorrow, Bondings (Frihost founder) die in a car accident, who will take care of the servers, of the community?

I have all ready lost a good community and host to that.
skygaia
I also agree with Rvec. Wireless is the basic method of communication. We might connect to internet anytime and anywhere.. So laptop will have change into lighter and simpler than now. Well it means every information will be gethered one big server then Government or someone with big power could control all people easily.. Crying or Very sad
Jaan
In 50 years most of you will be DEAD! HA HA HA!

In 100 years, EVERYONE here will be dead. What will happen then?

Stop thinking about the future. Who cares. That's too long term for even financial advisors.

Stick with the now and semi-immediate forseeable future.

this post should go in the philosphy section.
viraj
Its the time which will tell us. Who knows what lies in the future and how it will be may be there will be a major energy crises and neither internet nor this forum will exist.

I feel what ever it may be, we all the ppl on this forum will definately try to make it the best place to live with...

Viraj
Seiorai
At the rate technology has progressed in the last 50 years, it's almost impossible to predict exactly how it'll evolve or what other branches of science or even our daily lives it'll affect in the next 50..
Honestly, I think that, if Internet and all computer-related technology will grow at this rate, people won't have to worry about simple stuff like "free hosting", or "Youtube videos". Mainly because, as e-mail services from the main companies is currently practically free, so will many other things. Monopole will go to a few, huge companies/corporations, such as Microsoft, Google, etc.

For an example of this, look at Google, now developing a phone, extending their area of services and eating away the smaller companies...
Genesiz
I think that gradually life as we know it will become based around machines, robots and computers. Our every wish will be dealt with by 'inferior beings' who will have been made for this soul purpose. Slaves in other words.

History tends to follow the same lines. Things in the future will progress as they do in the present.

Oh and regarding companies like Google, Microsoft etc. They will all merge into one super company, who will have massive control over the world.
Urban
Genesiz wrote:
Oh and regarding companies like Google, Microsoft etc. They will all merge into one super company, who will have massive control over the world.

"Umbrella Corporation" Rolling Eyes
Davidgr1200
Regarding playing Steam games in 50 years time - who will want to? I would hope that advances in PC games during the next 50 years will mean that no one would want to play such an old fashioned games such as half-life 2 or Counterstrike. How many of you play the original space invaders now? and that's nowhere near 50 years old.
achowles
I think that global communications will continue to evolve and merge into one another. So there will eventually be one form of communication that we can use as we see fit. The iPhone hints at this, but it's still several different forms of communication in one unit rather than one streamlined service.

The internet as we know it will no doubt play a part, but I think that when the time comes for a next generation service it will be regulated, probably by the service provider(s).

If something were to happen to Bondings Frihost's future would be decided by his will if he has one. In other words, he's the only one who can answer that.
j_f_k
There's a very good book I read some years ago by Arthur C Clark called Profiles of the Future.

History is absolutely littered with duff predictions, such as space travel and even heavier than air aircraft being impossible etc.

Although the internet is coming up to 50 years old, its widespread use is only 10 years (15 at the most).

Would you have predicted 20 years ago, say, that the internet would become the major communication medium of pretty well everybody?
truespeed
In 50 years time,a newbie will do a search and drag up this thread,and reply to it ,and a mod will close it for replying to old threads.
windrei
50 years later, there must be something popular and replaced what we are interested and doing now. You friend is correct. Time will tell everything. Just wait and see what will happen. We can retrospect our childhood, maybe just 15 years ago, no need to be so long. It's already a completely different socoiety. Internet was not popular at that age and people did not play online games. In replace, we played TV video games together with friends in someone's house. What i think is, internet will still be here but it's already completely different from what we are using now. Technology will advance, right ?
reddishblue
Awesome. In fifty years we may be in the space age and you are worrying about if you will still be able to play games on Steam...to tell you the truth, if I still need to use a computer to play a video game, it's going to be a boring future, a very boring future, I'm talking virtual reality baby!

Although, I'm sure, and hope, that by that time we will have become mature, and senile enough not to really care about shooting hyper realistic artificial intelligence. All we will want if for those youngsters to stay off our holo-lawn.

As heart-breaking as it would be for our excellent founder Bondings to die, I think we would move on, truthfully, we have lives outside the internet, and I can't say I would be sad to see the trash on YouTube be blown into oblivion, about one percent of that stuff has the right to exist.

Personally, I hope for the future of Wikipedia, which is a real movement of "power to the people", I don't know how it'll last, because I don't know how the internet will last, maybe, but maybe something else will come along.

As another fellow Arthur C. Clarke fan has brought up, his views are interesting things, and may really happen, for this such debate, maybe books such as 2061: The Third Odyssey will give his idea of the future.

The idea of space exploration quickens my heart beat, it would be wonderful to explore what is so close yet so far from us, especially without Heuristically Programmed Algorithmic computers (Hal) ruining our attempts though.

Yet, maybe wiping out poverty would be a far more...useful act then escaping Earth, and that too is something I hope of the future, I don't suppose both cosmic discovery and elimination of poverty can in fact happen in the same generation, it would be quite Utopian for each to happen.

And let's not forget world peace, but that's better left for another thread.

I'm not sure if this is the first of these such topics I have answered on this forum, but I do enjoy them.

(Happy?) Future Everyone.

Once again,
Reddish
unknownc1c
haha, everyone is agreeing with rvec :p He's probably right.

My thoughts are things will just keep growing, you say we don't have unlimited space, maybe i'm wrong, but to get more space you just make another server... so doesn't the internet have unlimited space??

Also, i read an article on yahoo once saying how the government wants to re-make the internet. It wasn't designed for today's use of the internet. They didn't know about hackers when they first made it and didn't think to put some safety measures in. Also, the internet wasn't made with the idea that it would some day be wireless. I expect it'll be redesigned eventually, and it'll be made to be wireless and mobile with a lot more saftey precausions.

Who knows, internet could end up being some sort of religion in the future Razz haha
KronikSindrome
you can't stop change from happening......

I don't think the internet will ever 'disapear' or become 'too small to hold everything'....

but things do change.

I've been 'going online' since 1995, and things have DEFINATELY changed.
I've been chatting in the SAME chat room for all these years, but it's been
through different formats (java,beseen,tripod,angelfire,.com,.net,pjj) it's
gone from "owner" to "owner" and the "crowd" is contsantly changing....

Most message boards I used to love are gone now.....

a lot of the pages I visited are closed....

I've seen one "BIG THING!" after another come and go (like the you tube and the myspaces)....

chit happens......

but I'm pretty sure there's nothing to be worried about,
the internet aint goin' no where unless the whole world
goes 'dark'. which I suppose could happen someday.
a.Bird
I agree with KronikSindrome about the internet. The first harddrive created by IBM in 1956 weighed a whopping ton and was as big as two refrigerators side by side. Guess how much data it held... 5 megabytes! That's just barely the size of three minute mp3 file. 50 years later, it's now the standard to hold a couple million times more information in our pockets. We've developed stronger, longer lasting materials for our hardware and that, coupled with the increase in data capacity and delivery, allows us to do new and astonishing things everyday. If the rate of technological development in the computer realm is nearly exponential, now imagine where we will be in another 50 years. Probably where we are right now, except at a faster rate and with more possibilities to explore.

On a side note, electromagnetic waves could be destroying honeybee colonies everywhere, making a huge impact in our agricultural field, and thus our economies. I hope we can control our wireless activity and at least be as conservative as possible in that regard.

Anyway, here's a quote from one of my favorite movies, Me and You and Everyone We Know.
Quote:
I think everything's gonna be
computerized in 20 years.

- Soup won't be computerized.

Why not?

-It's a liquid.
frozenhead
Well, 50 years from now is really a huge thing if we think of it. Like what other's posted, 50 years from now to the fact that's unpredictable. Factors like exponential advancement in the technology nowadays have a drastic change how we live today than before. Considering the Internet, it would be really difficult to predict where will bring us 50 years later. Who knows? might be the Internet will be embedded in human beings at that time. Wink (wild idea it is).
PatTheGreat42
I think that as long as stuff makes money, it will stick around. As long as YouTube brings in enough revenue to keep on buying servers and hosting videos, it'll do just that. As long as Steam makes money off of it's video games, you will still be able to connect 'em up from now until forever. 'Course, I suspect in 50 years a lot of those video games and a lot of the videos you cherish so much right now won't be no big thang, and might not still be up.
DX4Life13
Well, I only read the first two mini-paragraphs of your whole thread, so you can tell how uninterested I am in this. However, since I'm a nice guy, I replied to it. This is a pretty hard question destined for failure, but if I had to guess, I would say that it would be the same except for more voice messages and with Myspace and Youtube controling the internet, not that they don't really already.
Rico
truespeed wrote:
In 50 years time,a newbie will do a search and drag up this thread,and reply to it ,and a mod will close it for replying to old threads.

Applause

It is very difficult to respond to your post. Objectivity is not in a moderator’s vocabulary so this very reply could be construed as spam. But that was an extremely well put albeit pointed remark. Kudos old man.
Urban
unknownc1c wrote:
My thoughts are things will just keep growing, you say we don't have unlimited space, maybe i'm wrong, but to get more space you just make another server... so doesn't the internet have unlimited space??

I don't think it's that simple! Because the server take place! It's not taking VIRTUAL space, but it surely using some space! It's like saying "I don't have any space left in this local, I will rent another!". Do you see my point?
Bluedoll
I had no trouble understanding your point. Maybe I got used to listening to an older Prime Minister (although I wouldn't make a claim that I understood everything) so considering that some "english" are also requires a re-read, found your post acceptable.

Wow 50 years! One needs to be a visionary for that one, for sure! If we look backwards, less than 50 years, we can see how some things have just faded away gradually as new things became popular. I doubt many people will be using keyboards and mouse controls or that the present technology or software we now have will be very popular except in museums.

I understand you reasoning though about people not being able taking over things if allowances are not granted to them.

I am not sure about limits however as far as capacity. Sure we will always run into walls concerning bandwidth or memory availability however if the desire is there everything can continue to grow in cyber space, I think anyway.

My prediction is that internet will evolve in many directions limited only by our imaginations. I think the wave of the future will be intelligent life forms. In a way maybe word the internet will be replaced by a new word and be just called interaction or connection? There may will be enough power to do what is required in any intelligent unit or there may be a few super computers that control everything. That is another possibility.

However, I doubt if we will see PC’s, laptops, phones, or palms as we do now. Interactive robots, yes perhaps after all it is 50 years from now! Drop some flowers on me!

Shocked
riv_
Interesting question...
Think back 50 years. Would anyone have predicted that most of us would have email and cameras built into our cell phones (before answering machines, in the day of "the operator", when many homes didn't have a phone...)
We can certainly speculate in broad generalities, but I think it's impossible to form a clear picture in our heads.
50 years ago the microchip was the stuff of science fiction - an absolute pipe dream. Today, technologists are suggesting that we are reaching the peak of hardware capabilities "unless something changes"
I suggest that something is going to change... we're do for the next microchip type of sidcovery.
There are already experiments involving wireless internet implants that integrate with human neurons... bizzarre freaky stuff. What's next? i'm not sure I want to know Very Happy
hofodomo01
>>http://www.ibiblio.org/pioneers/bush.html

its interesting to note that the idea of the internet started quite a bit before we realize. i remember the comparison from *somewhere* that like how neurons and nerves in the brain work together to achieve a whole result, people across the globe interact and cooperate in a similar way via the internet.
JBotAlan
-People will still be downloading songs, thought I doubt they will be mp3 format.
-People will still crack the latest OS.
-The industry will still try to shove DRM down our collective throats.
-A higher speed cable will be available. Standard cable will be looked down upon like dial-up is right now.
-Dial up will still be around for people out in the middle of nowhere.
-Apple and Microsoft will still exist.
-Google will be bigger.
-Many open-source apps will prevail, while Microsoft fights them all the way.

Those are my predictions.
JBot
Urban
JBotAlan, what you said could happen the next year, not in 50 years Razz

The worse thing would be that the ISP control our Internet, some ISP already set filters to block websites offering illegal stuffs, seriously, what would be Internet without the liberty? We can do what we want because there's no rules, it will not stay like this for ever..
Kitten Kong
I'm not even going to try to predict what things will be like in 50 years, my life completely changes every 2 or so.

I don't really care either, so long as i get my jetpack!