FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Macs Really Do Run Windows Better

akshar
Quote:
Ever since Boot Camp appeared on the scene, there have been several comments about Macs being better Windows machines than Windows machines. The weird thing is it's actually true.

I won't lie to you -- I use Windows occasionally. It's important for me as a Mac developer to use Windows once in a while, because it's a fantastic lesson on how [to] do absolutely everything wrong when designing software. (For example, one of my top ten favorite Windows XP features is the one where it asks you to confirm your wireless network password by entering it twice when you join a network.) Read more...

Source: stevenf.com

Awesome. An awesome read! And it is very well written. If for nothing else, read it for the humour. It is laugh out loud funny. Laughing
badai
the only thing that make a machine run windows without problem is their hardware and driver.

if you buy better hardware and the manufacturer supply good driver better than any mac machine, you'll find it will run windows better than mac.
Talk2Tom11
I find it funny that mac people will find anyway to say that mac is better. P.S. the reason boot camp was made is because OS X sucks. They don't even have a notepad in OSX. a notepad! If you want to write something, must people have Word... which is made by, Microsoft.
badai
same with windows people. they always think mac is for stupid people (pay outrageously for free linux). but as human, this is all personal preferences. don't get blinded with your personal preference that you fail to see something good in other's choice, like having a more versatile vi in OS X.

nevertheless, i'll have to agree, mac is kind of sucks.
Arno v. Lumig
akshar wrote:
Quote:
Ever since Boot Camp appeared on the scene, there have been several comments about Macs being better Windows machines than Windows machines. The weird thing is it's actually true.

I won't lie to you -- I use Windows occasionally. It's important for me as a Mac developer to use Windows once in a while, because it's a fantastic lesson on how [to] do absolutely everything wrong when designing software. (For example, one of my top ten favorite Windows XP features is the one where it asks you to confirm your wireless network password by entering it twice when you join a network.) Read more...

Awesome. An awesome read! And it is very well written. If for nothing else, read it for the humour. It is laugh out loud funny. Laughing

So... What he is saying is basically this: "A pre-installed Windows sucks, and a non-preinstalled Windows does not."?

Wow.
brucedes
I do agree, Macs do run Windows brilliantly. I use OS X 99.9% of the time and use XP once in a blue moon to play a game or two. Runs really well.
badai
this is completely off topic. we are talking about if mac do run windows better than all other, not if mac run windows brilliantly. and i already answer to that, and Arno v. Lumig already start asking back.

what you should do is to make a point why mac run windows better, and if you can, tell Arno v. Lumig why pre-installed windows suck. give some example.

can you see now why we all make fun of mac user?

brucedes wrote:
I do agree, Macs do run Windows brilliantly. I use OS X 99.9% of the time and use XP once in a blue moon to play a game or two. Runs really well.
FunDa
this is really interesting - that Macs run Windows better than Windows machines ...

I've never used a Mac before but friends tell me it's much much better than PCs and Mac Os X had Windows and the computer mouse before Windows had them ...
Talk2Tom11
FunDa wrote:
this is really interesting - that Macs run Windows better than Windows machines ...

I've never used a Mac before but friends tell me it's much much better than PCs and Mac Os X had Windows and the computer mouse before Windows had them ...

What do you mean by, "Mac Os X had Windows and the computer mouse before Windows had them"??? Doesn't make much sense to me. OS X was not the first OS to have "windows". Maybe you can argue that the company, Apple, had a gui OS before mircosoft did. But that doesn't mean it is better.

Apple fans have to just get over the fact that Windows XP/Vista is just better then OSX. That is why you are running Windows on your Apple Machines now! I don't see to many pc people running OSX. And yes it is possible to run OSX on a pc.
Handyman
Quote:
I find it funny that mac people will find anyway to say that mac is better. P.S. the reason boot camp was made is because OS X sucks. They don't even have a notepad in OSX. a notepad! If you want to write something, must people have Word... which is made by, Microsoft.

I don't know where you got your facts from but you were mis-informed. OS X does come with a text editor called Text Edit. Apple also has a competing product to M$ office called iWork (Keynote, Numbers and Pages $79) and is 100% compatible with M$ office but with more features and a better interface and templates.

Most professionals that still have to use windows to some extent because they are force fed the programs. The up-front cost of M$ products is so low that most companies take advantage of the savings only to be stuck with inferior equipment and software and high support costs.

A Mac will run any OS better than most computers because of the superior design and hardware. I am not saying that OS X is perfect but it is a better alternative to windows and Apple is always improving there products.

Apple takes great pride in there products and support. Where M$ ****** out all of there products and they provide little support if you can actually talk to someone who speeks your language.

It seems that all of the judgement passed in this topic has been provided mis-informed people who have never owned or even touched a Mac. You should stop by an Apple store and see how a mac works and see what others are saying. You would be suprised.
Studio Madcrow
Heh. A Mac runs Windoze no better than any other well-built PC... It's just that most people seldom get to USE a well-built PC with carefully selected components and all.
xbcd
I like how the Microsoft fan boys go and dis macs for anything and everything, they aren't that bad if you ever use one. And who says you ahve to have anything Microsoft on a mac Open office anyone?

macs only run windows better because the drivers are better, like someone mentioned. Why make 200 different video card drivers when macs only have about 10 different video cards (if that) you can put so much more money into one driver and that driver comes out refined and fast (much like good windows drivers) but since when do we see anyone put time into them?
amysanders
Yay an opertunity to express my hate at mac i suppose, macs are intended to sell on the are of its design and look its performance and operatings system sucks no matter how powerfull they make it there operating system still doesnt compare to Microsoft even if vista is crap.
FunDa
Talk2Tom11 wrote:
FunDa wrote:

What do you mean by, "Mac Os X had Windows and the computer mouse before Windows had them"??? Doesn't make much sense to me. OS X was not the first OS to have "windows". Maybe you can argue that the company, Apple, had a gui OS before mircosoft did.

Oh . That's probably what they said. I've no experience with Macs, thought the os was Os X was the only one ..
Sphaerenkern
Talk2Tom11 wrote:

It has, it's named "TextEdit" and can handle pure text, rtf and HTML.
So if you don't have an idea of what you're talking about, please shut up Smile
Talk2Tom11
Sphaerenkern wrote:
Talk2Tom11 wrote:

It has, it's named "TextEdit" and can handle pure text, rtf and HTML.
So if you don't have an idea of what you're talking about, please shut up Smile

How about reading the posts before posting the same exact thing. Spammers are not welcome.
greatfire
It seems to me that most people who posted in this topic are extremely bias towards one or the other. The reason that macs APPEAR to run windows better is that most people have a Dell or similar PC, which, in my opinion, all suck. I mean my friend brought a top of the range dell for 2000 AUD over a year after i made my PC and his was still worse then mine. And my PC only cost me 800 AUD. Mac give you semi-decent hardware. I used to hate mac's but i have come to like macs, especially Macbooks, where apple truely have the advantage over PC. If you had the same or similar hardware macs would offer no performance boost at all.
mOrpheuS
akshar wrote:

Actually that article is written in a very ignorant and biased manner.

I noticed two terms in particular that the author has used - "Windows PC" and "Running better".

What exactly is meant by "Windows PC" ?
A PC that can run windows ? Is Mac a windows PC too ?
or is it everything other than Apple ?

"Running better" on same hardware over an added virtualization layer ?!
They both run the same hardware, so unless the Mac virtualization has some magic built-in, it will only cause windows to run slower than running it natively.

The author claims to be a "developer", but sure does talk like Joe.
And sure enough, there are no benchmarks in the article comparing the performance of Windows (or any other software for that matter) running on a "Windows PC" and an Apple Mac on similar hardware.
Not in that article - or anywhere else.

That drivel can probably apply to a user who doesn't know where the "any key" is located - but reeks of utter bias when it comes from someone who claims to be a "developer".

To me, this sets the tone for the entire article -
Quote:
It's important for me as a Mac developer to use Windows once in a while, because it's a fantastic lesson on how do absolutely everything wrong when designing software

All that the article does talk about is the bloatware that comes pre-packaged with Sony VAIO.
And the fact that Windows has enough hardware support to be able to run over the Mac virtualization.
I'm not surprised by either fact.

greatfire wrote:
The reason that macs APPEAR to run windows better is that most people have a Dell or similar PC, which, in my opinion, all suck. I mean my friend brought a top of the range dell for 2000 AUD over a year after i made my PC and his was still worse then mine. And my PC only cost me 800 AUD. Mac give you semi-decent hardware. I used to hate mac's but i have come to like macs, especially Macbooks, where apple truely have the advantage over PC. If you had the same or similar hardware macs would offer no performance boost at all.

Exactly! Unless Apple is giving away Macs at a cost to the company, they cannot possibly provide hardware that is faster and cheaper than one can find in the component market.

edit : Maybe he is a Mac developer after all ! Head over to http://www.apple.com/getamac/ - taking potshots at Windows seems to be the official policy! Laughing
Srs2388
I have mac os x on my PC I don't really use it a whole lot because my sound blaster live sound card doesn't have a driver for os x. Sad
but everything else works great. It does run a lot faster than windows though.
DarkAkira
Just adding my opinion.

Windows runs the same on a Mac as it does on a GOOD PC. When compared to a general user PC, then yes, a Mac machine will run it better.

For those who say Mac sucks... get over yourselves.

Just because YOU don't know how they work, or how to use the OS, doesn't make it terrible. I know how to use windows (95-Vista), and I have used windows for years. I still think Windows is absolute crap. It has games. That's it. It has lots of apps, but nothing that really shouts "I Make Windows Worth It".

People install Windows on their Macs for 3 reasons.

1. They want to see if they can do it. It is an experiment. I do them often with other OS's.

2. They need to use a Windows exclusive application because their work/school only has window exclusive apps. So they are, in a sense, forced to install Windows on a Mac

3. They want to play a Windows Exclusive game.

Those are the only real reasons. It is not because "OSX sucks so bad". No. OS X is probably the MOST STABLE Operating System I have ever used. Very rarely has it caused me any kind of frustration, and the only times it did were actually my doing, not the system.

And for those of you who are ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS about Macs, here are some fun facts on WHY they are considered Superior to MOST of its users.

1. Mac Systems use EFI based Motherboards. Unlike MOST (about 99%) of standard PC motherboards, Mac eliminated the Age-Old Bios chip, and headed towards the much more advanced EFI chip.

2. The Operating System. OS X is custom tailored for designers and creative users. It is also well-built for you general users. Things that Windows doesn't have that mac does.
    Core Animation
    Core Image
    Quartz Extreme
    A Fully Hardware Accelerated GUI
    Seemless 32/64-bit OS (no emulation for 32-bit apps, unlike win x64)
    Innovative features that were released long before vista came around
    An OpenGL rendered GUI
    High-Quality Icons that go up to 512x512 in size
    Well-Built 3rd party Applications
    No Virus Problems
    Native Dock

3. When a Mac system is bought, it comes preloaded with software, like any PC. However, most Windows based PC's come loaded with unnecessary software no one uses, or lots of trial software that one must purchase if they want to keep it. Macs come with Full version of software. 98% of which is extremely useful.

4. Mac Systems are clean, well ventilated, and some of which are great space savers. That pack alot of stuff into a small space. And over-heating is almost NEVER an issue with Macs. It really is impressive. Especially with the Mac Minis.

So there is just my little post of stuff. And for those who are hard core mac haters, and think I'm just a stupid Mac Fan-Boy, here is some more nifty info. I'm not a Mac Fan-Boy, and I know how to use other OS's. As a matter of fact, here is what I run on my Desktop right now.

- Windows XP Pro SP2
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Mac OSX 10.4.9
- Ubuntu Linux
- SkyOS
- FreeBSD
- Fluid OS (alpha)

I use other stuff, and I compare them all the time. I prefer OSX. The only time I use windows is to play Command and Conquer 3 and BF 2142, and now that those are on Mac, I won't be using Windows for a while.

And one more fun fact.

For those who say Mac's have no games, go look for once. There are tons. AND.... EA has signed with Apple, so all of EA's fun titles will also be released for Mac as well as windows.

Have FUN!
Arno v. Lumig
DarkAkira wrote:
People install Windows on their Macs for 3 reasons.

1. They want to see if they can do it. It is an experiment. I do them often with other OS's.

Let's waste over a hundred dollar (WinXP) for an experiment that's guaranteed to succeed! Or is it one of the only things that work flawless on Macs?

Quote:
2. They need to use a Windows exclusive application because their work/school only has window exclusive apps. So they are, in a sense, forced to install Windows on a Mac

3. They want to play a Windows Exclusive game.

I agree, but why do you use that as two separate arguments? There is no difference between games and software.

Quote:
And for those of you who are ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS about Macs, here are some fun facts on WHY they are considered Superior to MOST of its users.

Make my day

Quote:
1. Mac Systems use EFI based Motherboards. Unlike MOST (about 99%) of standard PC motherboards, Mac eliminated the Age-Old Bios chip, and headed towards the much more advanced EFI chip.

Can you tell me how EFI is an advantage? The BIOS doesn't get used much at all, except for booting and VGA buffers. BIOS doesn't slow down PC's or make them unstable. EFI doesn't either, but it's not really an improvement either.

Quote:
2. The Operating System. OS X is custom tailored for designers and creative users. It is also well-built for you general users. Things that Windows doesn't have that mac does.
    Core Animation [DirectX]
    Core Image [DirectX]
    Quartz Extreme [Vista does render the GUI on the graphics card]
    A Fully Hardware Accelerated GUI [Vista does render the GUI on the graphics card]
    Seemless 32/64-bit OS (no emulation for 32-bit apps, unlike win x64) [I don't know. You might be right about this one]
    Innovative features that were released long before vista came around [... Bullshit. Say one feature that Mac can but that Windows can not]
    An OpenGL rendered GUI [Third time. Vista does render the GUI on the graphics card. Don't worry. I'm used to Mac guys repeating everything.]
    High-Quality Icons that go up to 512x512 in size [So what? Why would you want to make your icon be as big as 1/4th of your screen? It will only cost CPU cycles to scale it down...]
    Well-Built 3rd party Applications [Might be, but less then Windows has]
    No Virus Problems [I don't have virus problems either Smile]
    Native Dock [WHAT?! A native dock? I thought it was a bug, instead of a feature Neutral. It's probably the most inefficient way of managing windows/applications. It looks good, agreed, but it still sucks. http://www.asktog.com/columns/044top10docksucks.html ]

A nice list of nonsence Smile

Quote:
3. When a Mac system is bought, it comes preloaded with software, like any PC. However, most Windows based PC's come loaded with unnecessary software no one uses, or lots of trial software that one must purchase if they want to keep it. Macs come with Full version of software. 98% of which is extremely useful.

98%? You sure? I agree that some vendors really stuff too much software in the computers, but any good vendor (not Dell, HP, Acer, Asus etc) will just install standard Windows without any other software.

Quote:
4. Mac Systems are clean, well ventilated, and some of which are great space savers. That pack alot of stuff into a small space. And over-heating is almost NEVER an issue with Macs. It really is impressive. Especially with the Mac Minis.

Well ventilated? How give a blop? As long as the PC works it's fine with me. There is also no reason to make the inside of Macs clean, you'll never have to open it anyway, because you can't upgrade it. Stuffing a mini-atx-style motherboard in a box isn't really impressive. Especially of it's also very low-end

By the way, you're free to like Mac OS as much as you want to, but just don't give out false or biased information.

Thank you,
Arno
DarkAkira
I sense hostility.

I don't think you read the line before the list.

I clearly stated reasons why Macs are considered superior to MOST of its users. Now read that sentence again nice and slow. I didn't say in general, i said to its users... as in mac users. No reason for hostility. And the reasons are all valid, not nonsense.

As for wasting hundreds of dollars on an experiment... I think not. How many people actually buy Win XP?? Not including companies. I can guarantee that most people installing windows on Mac isn't going out and paying money to do so.

And I made 2 separate arguments because it is valid. Some do it for work, some do it for gaming. It generally isn't mixed. I myself installed XP on my mac for work (MS publisher. Eww...), but I do not play any games on it, nor do I do anything else aside from MS Publisher on the XP install.

And to add, my info isn't biased. It is facts gathered from my personal experiences and experiences of others I have talked to over the years.

Quote:
Core Animation [DirectX]
Core Image [DirectX]
Quartz Extreme [Vista does render the GUI on the graphics card]
A Fully Hardware Accelerated GUI [Vista does render the GUI on the graphics card]
Seemless 32/64-bit OS (no emulation for 32-bit apps, unlike win x64) [I don't know. You might be right about this one]
Innovative features that were released long before vista came around [... Bullshit. Say one feature that Mac can but that Windows can not]
An OpenGL rendered GUI [Third time. Vista does render the GUI on the graphics card. Don't worry. I'm used to Mac guys repeating everything.]
High-Quality Icons that go up to 512x512 in size [So what? Why would you want to make your icon be as big as 1/4th of your screen? It will only cost CPU cycles to scale it down...]
Well-Built 3rd party Applications [Might be, but less then Windows has]
No Virus Problems [I don't have virus problems either Smile]
Native Dock [WHAT?! A native dock? I thought it was a bug, instead of a feature Neutral. It's probably the most inefficient way of managing windows/applications. It looks good, agreed, but it still sucks. http://www.asktog.com/columns/044top10docksucks.html ]

I'll clarify this one for you.

Core Animation and Core Image are not DirectX. DirectX is made for gaming, these are not. These are parts of the actual Operating System that help it perform functions easier, and help developers to write applications. Quartz Extreme is an important part of OSX's GUI. Check out these links (will explain well). They can explain better than I can about these features.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreaudio/

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/technology/coreanimation.html

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/

I am aware that vista renders on Video Card, but not entirely. I know all about vista, I have been running from BETA to Final since a year and a half ago.

I am correct about x64. I used Win x64 for a while, but it was just awful. I removed and went back to Win XP 32-bit.

Icons are a plus. I have always hated the low quality win Icons, and I know other have too. In mac, you can set the size. In tiger i think it is max 128x128, but leopard is 512x512. In win it was always either small, or HUGE. No real middle or custom set for whatever your resolution is.

By no virus problems.. i think you misunderstood. You have none, but I am sure you are running a good anti-virus app (AVG, or Norton Corporate). When I said no virus problems, i meant i don't even need an anti-virus program for protection. This means I dont have an application running a whole crap load of backround processes and wasting resources (cough NORTON cough). That free space I can use for the programs that need it, like my work applications.

As for the Dock.... that article sucked. Not only was it an ancient article (first OSX), but it was just stupid. It was some guy complaining cause he didnt know how to make the dock work right for him. Not only does the latest dock have issues resolved, but its not a pain at all. For one, it is hideable. you dont HAVE to look at it. Also, you can set the size, turn magnification on and off, set the icons. For documents... OH WELL! ALL word document icons have the SAME ICON no matter what OS you use. Why is it apples fault that he is stupid enough to put them all together on the dock when they look the same. And no they dont have words... until you haver over it. Then it tells you exactly what the items is. That article was just stupid. I personally love the dock, and it keeps my desktop from being cluttered with icons (like alot of win systems).

And I'm not sure if your aware, but the dock has many hidden features that can be accessed via a maintenance program (eg. Onyx) that make it even better and more usable.

And about the cases...

What? Of course clean cases matter. Ventilation is vital to keep a system from overheating and damaging components. Macs are clean, thus they have better ventilation. I've opened dells and HP comps (and some other pre-builts), theyre not that clean, and ventilation sucks.... alot....

And REGARDLESS of what people believe, Macs are upgradeable. Almost as Much as standard PC's. People always seem to get that fact wrong.

SO thats my response to you. Please try not to seem so... hostile next time. I am merely clarifying, I'm not being biased. Just providing information that I know most windows users don't know about OSX.
Talk2Tom11
Arno v. Lumig ... That was great. I couldn't have said it any better. When will mac users learn that they are being tricked into thinking that they have this amazing, sexy, sleek, powerful machine when really, all they have is an overpriced home video maker.
mOrpheuS
Inevitably, the "Macs run Windows better" thread turns into "Mac OS is better than Windows". Rolling Eyes
DarkAkira
Seems that way huh?

Oh well...