FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Strange heartbeat...

quex
So, sometimes when I lie down and try to sleep, I can feel my heartbeat in several places on my body. It's often uncomfortable -- not painful, but kind of irritating, like a dripping faucet, but tactile rather than auditory. It makes it difficult to fall asleep

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you know what it might be?

(I have normal (and sometimes low) blood-pressure, no history of heart disease, no blood disorders.)
filet
Maybe you're stressing out over something???
djcaution
weird, I've never heard of that before.. I think maybe you're just thinking about it too much. Is it like after you hit your thumb with a hammer type of pulsing?
amicalindia
How many hours do you sleep? In what position? What you do before sleeping?

quex wrote:
So, sometimes when I lie down and try to sleep, I can feel my heartbeat in several places on my body. It's often uncomfortable -- not painful, but kind of irritating, like a dripping faucet, but tactile rather than auditory. It makes it difficult to fall asleep

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you know what it might be?

(I have normal (and sometimes low) blood-pressure, no history of heart disease, no blood disorders.)
Helios
quex, I think there's nothing wrong with you, but you should consult a physician if you feel worried.
quex
[quote="amicalindia"]How many hours do you sleep? In what position? What you do before sleeping?

I usually sleep about six hours at a time, sometimes longer if I can get away with it. I tend to sleep on my side... more comfortable on my left side. I usually just chill out for about an hour before I go to sleep, like playing a videogame (nothing that requires movement like Wii or DDR), reading, or listening to the radio.

And yes, it IS kinda like the thumb-hit-with-hammer type of pulsing, but without the pain. It just feels "squirmy." I don't think it's the kind of thing I should see the doctor about, but then again, I kinda thought other people would say "oh, yeah, I have that all the time, it's normal" by now...
djcaution
try masturbating before you sleep Wink
quex
djcaution wrote:
try masturbating before you sleep :wink:

Amazingly, I have heard that advice before! (Doesn't help the heart thing, though. ;_;)
amicalindia
I dont think the problem is physical. Of course cant be sure without a physical check up. But I think the problem is tension/stress. Why not try 10 minutes meditation before sleep.
quex
Hmm. I've tried just calming down, ala reading or radio, but I've not tried meditation. Good idea; thanks! Do you suggest any particular techniques, or just any "close your eyes and focus" thing that I can come up with? (I only know the posture for zazen. ;_;)
woundedhealer
Feeling your heart beating is called palpitations and is a common phenomina and is normally harmless. It's not unnatural to feel your pulse points when you're lying in bed. You notice things more because there's no distractions and you tend to focus more on yourself. I find being too warm can cause it for me and I'm sure it's connected to the way I lie - on my left side.
Quote:
try masturbating before you sleep

While this relieves tension, it's going to raise your blood pressure which is going to make things worse. The best thing is to relax and don't dwell on it.
quex
woundedhealer wrote:
Feeling your heart beating is called palpitations and is a common phenomina and is normally harmless. It's not unnatural to feel your pulse points when you're lying in bed. You notice things more because there's no distractions and you tend to focus more on yourself. I find being too warm can cause it for me and I'm sure it's connected to the way I lie - on my left side.

This is awesome... it's stronger for me when I'm lying on my left side, too, and when I'm nice and warm. Thank you for explaining this to me!
djcaution
Frihost is useful for the most amazing things I swear! From solving lifes problems that even freaking doctors cant help you with, to getting advice or even learning to do just about anything! Go frihost!
JBotAlan
I'm thinking you should probably find a cardiologist.

Why?

This could be life-threatening. They will probably put you on some kind of holter monitor--a small box with about 6 wires coming out with leads that are glued (yes, it sucks) to your chest. They will monitor your ECG for 2 weeks to a month and tell you if anything bad is happening. It might get expensive if you have no health insurance though...

I just think it would be better to be paranoid than assume it's fine based on the replies on this forum...but it's ultimately your choice.

JBot
woundedhealer
quex wrote:
woundedhealer wrote:

This is awesome... it's stronger for me when I'm lying on my left side, too, and when I'm nice and warm. Thank you for explaining this to me!

I'm not just a pretty face Wink I think maybe we feel it more on our left side because our heart is on that side. I admit, it can be scary. I had it a few nights ago but it eased when I pushed the duvet down.
Aures
It's completely normal. Your heartbeat may be tense because of some activity you were doing right before you lie in bed.

One thing though; the close-your-eyes-&-focus so-called sleeping technique is completely useless; it keeps you awake instead of helping you relax. Because, focus induces high brainwaves and all that shit, that is exactly what you don't need.

If you want to relax, don't focus on relaxing, just relax. Try this technique I learned about sometime ago. Visualise play your thoughts in slow motion, as in: "Myyyy boossss izzzz aa reeaaaaalll jeeeeerrrk, iiii wiiill shooooowwww hhiiiimmmm tooomooorrrrrooowww." Keep shortening the sentence as well as slowing it, I hear this can be quite effective. Very Happy
woundedhealer
Quote:
One thing though; the close-your-eyes-&-focus so-called sleeping technique is completely useless

I've never heard of this technique. I find meditation is the best formula for sleep. I have different meditations for different situations. The best thing is to experiment and see which ones work best for you.
quex
For falling asleep, instrumental Christmas music works best for me... the songs are familiar and they connect to a period in my life that was psychologically calm and secure.

I doubt I need an EKG. o.o;; That's some pretty serious stuff, there. Thanks again for all the advice!
nisibdv
If you can hear your heartbeat in parts of you body different from your chest, it mey be posible that you are pressing an artery or vein (most probably an artery). Then try to change position slightly. If you stop hearing or feeling your heartbeat at all, and if this is followed by a decrease in breathing, maybe you are dying. So be careful.
quex
nisibdv wrote:
If you stop hearing or feeling your heartbeat at all, and if this is followed by a decrease in breathing, maybe you are dying. So be careful.

Oh dear. x_x

(That was hilarious -- thanks!)
Alowyn
I would say consult a doctor if you are worried, people can get heart murmurs, most are not serious but some are and require medical help.

Here's a link with more information here:

http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/4/1675_51096.htm

Apparently I have a fast heartbeat Confused