FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

One Blog/One Forum Suggestion.

m-productions
Alright, lets start with the Blog suggestion, I dont have high hopes for you to allow this, but, might as well ask right? what if you allowed us to embed youtube videos? A good example of where this would come in hand is More hints towards a FFVII remake I think this would be really great.

Next is for the forum/blog. I really really wish we had a center tag, or Left or right align tag.... Anyway we could get this added? (I also would love tables... but that becomes more of a hassle and such) but at least a center alignment would be really great.
Bondings
Extra tags might be useful, but also causing some problems with layout and appearance. I might add at least a few, though.

About (youtube) videos. Not in the actual post. Maybe above or below the text, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.
LukeakaDanish
The blogs would also be more "cool" if you could customize the page appearance / style sheet / colour scheme...

Just a thought Smile
m-productions
Yeah, I cant understand why you would be a little iffy about the youtube vids.. but thats becoming a very larg median for communication.

Anyway, out of the other tags, Center I think is a must. Its good for titles and subtitles within the text, if your writing something long and need to divide it up, it also helps keep pictures looking nicer... it gets kinda annoying have the pics always aligned to the left, and you cant space them out because it dosnt read more than 1 space.
Bondings
m-productions wrote:
Yeah, I cant understand why you would be a little iffy about the youtube vids.. but thats becoming a very larg median for communication.

Anyway, out of the other tags, Center I think is a must. Its good for titles and subtitles within the text, if your writing something long and need to divide it up, it also helps keep pictures looking nicer... it gets kinda annoying have the pics always aligned to the left, and you cant space them out because it dosnt read more than 1 space.

About the pictures, you can try with a list, that moves them a bit. Although it's completely not intended for this purpose.

But yes, I'll probably add the center tag.
sabe
Is this going to be just another wantabe U-tube?? Pictures are great and video is "better" but there is much to be said about the written, or should I say typed, word. I am just old fashioned that way I guess.

I think that the video stuff will allow some sloppy content. I see a lot of stuff on those type of sites that are just a "hay look at me" type of posts.

I hope these forums don't turn into that type of site.
sabe
I almost forgot to say. If you are going to add tags. I suggest you put them on the left or right. The left is already cluttered and it will not detract from the text. The right may add clutter to the text and mess up the flow.
ninjakannon
sabe wrote:
Is this going to be just another wantabe U-tube?? Pictures are great and video is "better" but there is much to be said about the written, or should I say typed, word. I am just old fashioned that way I guess.

Well, it wouldn't become another YouTube, but I do see where you're coming from. I also believe that a forum is a place for text/prose/writing/discussion - just like an image board is for images - and I feel that videos would depreciate the quality of some blogs (of course they would also make some better).

Aside from that, videos would make page loading times slower and use bandwidth. If someone really wants to talk about a video they can provide a link to it and that will suffice I'm sure.

Left, right and centre tags would be awesome though.

LukeakaDanish wrote:
The blogs would also be more "cool" if you could customize the page appearance / style sheet / colour scheme...

This could be a great idea. But let's take the extreme - as customisable as MySpace... That would be a bit 'no no' as far as I'm concerned. If a blog's individual colour scheme could be set by the user then we could end up with some pretty cool blogs (and some pretty poor ones). But too much change would make the blogs irritating, unprofessional and a pain to read. There's also the option of offering several pre-designed blog styles to people.
mathiaus
I could judge them? If I like them they stay, if I think they look horrible and/or designed by a baby and/or using MS paint, I could ban them (or rather suggest that to an admin [tidruG as I'm his sidekick] ) Razz

The offering a choice of a small number sounds like a good idea. I'd like a green themed one!
tidruG
How about being able to change some of the settings from a given set of colours. We could design some simplistic alternatives to the current colour scheme. I could do it if required.

I am still in favour of letting users upload their own style.css stylesheet or at least let the style be defined for most of the attributes.
LukeakaDanish
tidruG wrote:
I am still in favour of letting users upload their own style.css stylesheet or at least let the style be defined for most of the attributes.

Yes yes yes yes!

That is exactly how it should work! - or perhaps both? Amazingly, even on frihost, not everybody knows css.

Perhaps the "content" attribute should be filtered out though - otherwise iframes, flash-objects etc could be added through that.
sabe
I am a member of the ignorant that do not know CSS yet. I have not made the time and am still just learning about web creation. I hope to soon the enlightened ones.

I am afraid I am on the slow track to learning. Frankly, I don't know how you guys have the time to post all of the stuff and learn about what you know. I guess that is the strength of the forum. I have found this site very informative. I would hate to see it degraded to one of those shallow site where everybody spends gobs of time on bling and no time on content. Crying or Very sad