FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reporting Email Scammers?

DorFalla
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this and feel free to move it if it is...

If there any place or authority I can email to report scammer emails? Normally, I wouldn't care too much, but I *just* changed my email address to a new one less than a month ago and I have begun receiving more than 5 scammers a day. Now, keep in mind, I started using this email because I was getting too much *spam* (not scammers) on my last address, so this new scammer-ridden one is my *personal* email that I do *not* sign up for things on.

I have no clue how they got my email, but is there an agency that deals with people such as these out of curiosity? I know they probably can't make it so I won't receive any more emails now that I have gotten so many, but I feel like there should be someone out there to try to keep people from being scammed.

Internet law is so tricky. -_-

EDIT: My spelling late at night isn't the bestest. Sad
hofodomo01
Report it or not, what's the authorities gonna do about it? It's just an email out on the web...I doubt they'll be able to directly track the email and actually find anybody, since it's the internet and it's pretty hard to block since there's just too many spammers.
zichlone
Is it Phishing or scammers? Phishing is quite illegal your posing as a company and thats not a good thing. Tracking someone down will eventually lead to their arrest.....

I know there is some site to report it to but i cannot think of the name at them moment
newso
You don't stand a chance. If you get one email blocked, another one going to find it into your inbox. Its impossible to block all spam. Its very hard to track them down as well.

I guess you will just have to learn to live with it like nearly every person on the internet these days.
DorFalla
zichlone wrote:
Is it Phishing or scammers? Phishing is quite illegal your posing as a company and thats not a good thing. Tracking someone down will eventually lead to their arrest.....

I know there is some site to report it to but i cannot think of the name at them moment

Yeah, the majority of the scammer emails I am getting are posing as Bank of America or Paypal trying to get me to 'verify my account information', which is why I asked if there is some bureau out there whom would like to hear about things like that. Thank you for letting me know that there may be someone out there to report these things to, since it seems rather illegal. Smile

newso wrote:
You don't stand a chance. If you get one email blocked, another one going to find it into your inbox. Its impossible to block all spam. Its very hard to track them down as well.

I guess you will just have to learn to live with it like nearly every person on the internet these days.

I already said that I don't expect them to stop and there really isn't any call for the snark. I asked a simple question because some of the emails I received (the ones mentioned above) seem like a serious legal issue to me that someone might want to hear about.
It was an innocent question.
newso
I wasn't being funny. i was just stating the fact that the laws they have in place are pretty useless. They get away with it.

I'm back you totally in what your saying, but i just don't see what we can do about it.
DorFalla
newso wrote:
I wasn't being funny. i was just stating the fact that the laws they have in place are pretty useless. They get away with it.

I'm back you totally in what your saying, but i just don't see what we can do about it.

Smile Misread your intent is all. Sorry 'bout that, just got up. :p
newso
lol its ok. I could have worded what i said a bit better.
Zombie
I never really give spammers or scammers the time of day. But if you must report them, ebay spoofed emails should be forwarded to spoof@ebay.com, paypal spoofs should be emailed to spoof@paypal.com... etc... the email will then be identified as a spoof or a legitimate one, depending on the email of course.
Josso
Well, look in your email header (in Gmail for example "show original"). Pick out the IP, do a little WHOIS on it - report it to the ISP. Either that or I think there's certain places where you can "blacklist" IPs. That's what I would do if I ever bothered, I get roughly 60-70 spam emails per day but the Gmail spam filter is so good it doesn't bother me Smile
Chris24
I use a program called mailwasher. It blacklist the spam and any other e-mail you don't want , and allows to you set ones you do want as friends. It bounces the spam and whomever sent it thinks your e-mail address does not exist....
Indyan
Well i think authorities are already doing their best to stop spam. You reporting isnt likely to help them much anyway.
But reporting is fun none the less. I used to spend 5 mins everyday reporting spam to bluefrog Very Happy
soulery
I get a billion scammers and spam, probably because I register and download too much crap....
DoctorBeaver
Most of them are from Nigeria or Cote d'Ivoire these days; although I believe Easteren Europe & Russia are the source of many. The scammers use internet cafes so although the origin of the scam can be traced, the perpetrators are long gone before anyone finds them.

Having said that, and being as cynical as I am, I suspect that the enforcement agencies in Nigeria & Cote d'Ivoire are not overly zealous in their attempts to find the scammers. Chances are they at least take backhanders to turn a blind eye and, maybe, are even directly involved.

I must admit that I find some of the scams rather amusing - especially when the email address is something like bankamaericasecurity@hotmail.com

As if Bank America would use a hotmail account! Rolling Eyes