FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Programming

nunosilva
To all programmers:

what's your favourite programming language?

Why did you choose that kind of programming and not another type?

ignition
Java

Because object oriented programming is easy to understand and learn.
bdoneck
PHP because it's the first one I learned and the one I know most about.
yule
PHP , I like it, because it can make a lot of beautiful styles , and he relatively keeps secret, is not attacked easily , do you think? Cool
nunosilva
well PHP and Java are one of my most prefered languages... Java because I've learned on university and found it very interesting, and not much dificult(depending on the project you into)... PHP... well that's another story, I don't find it dificult, or to learn, because there are nice tutorials or web content that you can follow up, but unfortunately I don't have the pacience to read and learn. I'd rather prefer to go to a course and have someone teaching than teach myself. It's more stimulating having other people there doing the same has you do, and we can share ideas.

I've learned a language that I like too called Haskell. it's a functional language, and was very hard to me to understand, but when I got to it, after all it wasn't that hard. now I forgot how to do all that stuff that I learned to do with haskell... :S
LostOverThere
GML, its pretty basic, but there is NO limits to it.
And it all makes so much sence.
Razz
jvachez
I have read on Microsoft web site that .NET is the best programming language.
yjwong
GML and HTML. Is HTML considered a programming language?
nunosilva
well, I never heard of gml... what can you do with that? web content? simple applications?
chris2k5
My favorite languages are:

PHP and HTML

They are a lot easier than all of the harder languages that I kind of get. Overall thats how I mainly code my sites.

I am in the process of learning flash.
nunosilva
maybe... After all you will be only developing apps for use with a browser. I believe that you can do pretty much with php, but you'll be also very limited in developing apps comparing to other languages like java, c, c++, or even MS studio .net tools... I find myself not mastering any language, but to know a bit of the most languages I can...
DSalisbury
PHP. Simple, easy and fairly powerful

I'm going to be lookint at Ruby (on Rails) sometime soon once I've got a load of other work out the way and have some time to devote to it.
kaaos
I'd have to go with Python for most apps, it is pretty easy to learn, it works on pretty much every platform, so you don't have to port your code and you can do almost everything with it. Python is an interpreted language, though, and as such not the fastest out there.
So if performance is really important, I use C++.
psycosquirrel
nunosilva wrote:
well, I never heard of gml... what can you do with that? web content? simple applications?

GML is the programming language used by Game Maker (www.gamemaker.nl); I used to use it often, but I stopped making games and started modding them instead.

My favorite lanugage is definently Java, it is easy and very useful.
hahame
i just learn some html ,C,VB,and,php,but i and good at C,but i think is not a good language now
Monkeydog
DSalisbury wrote:
PHP. Simple, easy and fairly powerful

I'm going to be lookint at Ruby (on Rails) sometime soon once I've got a load of other work out the way and have some time to devote to it.

Ruby is supposed to be very ugly.It's what RMXP uses and i've looked at some of the codes you can do...looks easy but =/
I only know HTML really...
Antwon
I chose PHP because it gives you a lot off form options, especially since I;'m going to try to make a online text-based role-playing game that's free once I set up my own server.

But for now, thank you for the practice, Frihost Smile

~Antwon
LostOverThere
Yes, GML is GameMaker Language used in GameMaker, very clever program.
it uses lots of easy codes like this:
object_create()
move_object(objectname,x,y)

etc.
etc.

I find it simple, but very powerful.
johnabraham
php and html...i hate c++, have been using that for the last 8-10 years though...wanna learn c#, java and v-basic...i have some knowledge in it but still long way to go...
nunosilva
I'd like to "master" c++ but unfortunatelly I don't even have the time learn the middle concepts, since I have the basics. I hear we can do much with c++, but... well, maybe one day I have time to dedicate myself to c++
guitarstud101
I started using a very constricting form of Basic (it wasn't the real language because it was just a high school intro package) but it was not the language I was looking for at all. I looked around a bit and came to the conclusion that C++ was the language I needed (one that would allow me to do very low-level graphics programming.) I love C++ - it may be complicated but it's extremely powerful.

On the subject of programming languages - how alike are Java and C++? They are both OOP languages aren't they? I've heard that there's more of a need for Java programmers than there is for C++, so I thought I might learn Java as well.
RA
I like Java, because it has the power of C++, but is more user friendly. It also has a very large supported library with good documentation.

At the base level, Java looks very much like C++, so C++ programmers (me) find it easy to move to. However, it adds on in places where C++ should have, such as thread support, strong typing, and did I mention good libraries? Smile -- No overloaded operators though Sad
nunosilva
Gosh How I would like to learn c++... I'd like to learn, but I really don't have time to... Sad
Guys, I have the basics of c++. I got knowledge of arrays, strings, a bit of pointers... Where do you advise me to go next?
Very Happy After all, knowing where to go next, becomes faster and less time consuming! Very Happy
Jack_Hammer
All the languages are confusing Cool
but I like PHP Java and Actionscript II
Piotrek
i like Action Script in Marcomedia Flash, it is language such as java, but little differnt. It is my best language becouse i have started to learn it 3 years ago and i am advancedi in it
guybrush
I have been using Visual Basic for years, but now that microsoft has decided to replace it with the new .NET platform I have started learning c++.

I chose c++ because it is faster than java and it doesn't depend on Virtual Machine to run.
nunosilva
but isn't .net good? I really don't know 'cause I haven't tried .net yet, even though I know how to program in visual basic....
kilted1
Favorite language?

Right now, it's defintely Java. I've worked with COBOL, RPG, C++, JavaScript, VBScript, PHP, VB, Perl and a couple of others over the years that really should have been put into the Smithsonian as relics!

Also doing a large amount of HTML, since I'm creating web-based objects in Java.

Can anyone point me in a direction to find some decent (and free!) tutorials on ActionScript? I finally got a copy of the Macromedia suite and am dying to try out writing some of my own Flash scripts.
nntien
Up to now, I still like MS Visual Studio very much!
leodv
Microsoft's Visual studio is great for company software development, but personally i like to program in java/c++ as a hobby. Visual Studio is fast but does not allow much control over the application, it was meant to allow a programmer to program a simple yet functional software to solve any situation. Java/C++ is more flexible as they can be used on any type of system and OS.
leodv
Microsoft's Visual studio is great for company software development, but personally i like to program in java/c++ as a hobby. Visual Studio is fast but does not allow much control over the application, it was meant to allow a programmer to program a simple yet functional software to solve any situation. Java/C++ is more flexible as they can be used on any type of system and OS.
kalsitana
Delphi
Php
and Mysql
kimia
PHP is the best (open source) web-based programming languge.
But delphi is the best and easiest programming languge.
With delphi you can make any application you want .
RA
I remember programming in Delphi in high school. It was quite easy. However, I thought they got bought out or something, so that now, there isn't much development going into it anymore.
anhstar
The first programming language that I learned is Java. It's a very powerfull language with alot of features that make the life of programmers easy. Some downsides of Java is that it can be slow sometimes, simply because Java use a Garbage Collector. Also, if you want to build web application, you need to learn others tools like Struts, tomcat, jstl, etc

Php is another good programming language that work on server side. It has been changed over the years to become closer to an OO language, with class , type, etc. However the debugging is a pain compared to other language.

Right now, my new baby is VB.NET, it's a nice language with alot of built in features. I'll tell you guys more when I finish reading the book Smile
mars
Java,I use Eclispe IDE.
ROWDY!
Assembly would have to be my favorite language. Although i do not program in .x86 ASM i do program in .z80 ASM for Texas Instruments graphix calculators.
I also often program in .vbs, .js and the like.
nntien
nunosilva wrote:
To all programmers:

what's your favourite programming language?

Why did you choose that kind of programming and not another type?

I like VS C++, Delphi, PHP, Java. It help me solve some work.
VS C++: developed from ANSI C, supported from many platforms.
Delphi supports many nice GUIs
Java, to develop some applications in the Internet.
PHP, ,...
bananaphone
LOGO - so simple, so powerful!!
I also know some Java.
cokdes
Java is the best programming language now... Cool

Not only java is the Object Oriented Programming Language, but that can also run in many environment, because of the JVM (Java Virtual Machine)

We can easy develop our programs because of the package that we can made it.

Java also have many variant based on where we develop our program:
- J2EE -> for enterprise environment
- JSP -> for web programming
- J2SE -> for standard environment
- J2ME -> for mobile computing
- Beans
- and more

Java give us Freedom to make programs
christoph
Well to tell you the trouth... I have just started to learn HTML. And I just love it. There are so many creative little tricks you can add to you webpage to make it more 'professional'. I just heard about XHTML resently. Do any of you know exactly what that is? It sounds as if it were related to HTML so I thought I would learn that langauge too, but first I need to know what makes it different.
misterdimiz
Actually I Know only PHP and a little of ASP.
I think I don't need to learn other than PHP for the web. Wink
xuma
i use C++ and PHP and enough to me..
comsci18
i like Java C# Basic and C++
i think it easy to use to programming