FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Matrix Effect (ms dos command line)

erlendhg
Don't know actually if this is the right place to post this.
Did it because of the "graphics", though it is not really graphics, just text.

Have you ever seen this before?
I was playing around with the ms dos command line in Windows (!) and I figured out this thing.

Open Notepad.
Copy/paste the following:
Code:
title The Matrix Re-Reloaded
color 0a
cd\
CLS
@ECHO OFF
dir /S /W /L /D /Q /R

Save the file as "Matrix.bat" and run it!
See for yourself a Matrix-alike directory listing Razz

Edit
If you use xp or any Windows version before Vista, tha /R is not valid so
Code:
color 0a
cd\
CLS
@ECHO OFF
dir /S /W /L /D /Q

would be the right code...
hbbear
That's pretty good, however there are to many words to make it as impressive as it sounds Razz
teknotom
Are you perchance from CF?
carlospro7
cool, but for me it only lasted about a second
videoguy
could you explain what each of the operators do? is this customizable at all?
viraj
This code is very simple. For all those who want to know what each option do follow the following:

Code:
DIR /?

This will tell you what all the options do.

Viraj
erlendhg
carlospro7 wrote:
cool, but for me it only lasted about a second

That is strange. Is it very few files on the drive you ran the "script" from?
Did you run it from C:\?

You could try
Code:
color 0a
cd c:\
CLS
@ECHO OFF
dir /S /W /L /D /Q
and see if that helps Smile

The main clues in this code is the "color 0a" code that sets the text to be green, and the background to be black. the cd\ (or cd c:\) that brings you down to root level, and the /S switch in the dir command, that makes it go through every single file and folder under current folder (root).

CLS clears screen first, and @ECHO OFF hides all other text like "c:\>"
cornga56
hahaha, that is def mad cool. I love it.
DivineLight
Cool trick friend, how about a simple c++ code that does display ugly characters in Green on Black??
it would be fun. Smile
edzofcit
It's very cool dude. It will be better though if done in C, we can output different characters. Those characters that were really used by this Matrix movie. Is it cool? hehe.. Anyways, love your idea. Wink
hack_man_
That is wicked! It was running for like 10mins for me, I suppose I have a lot of files. The only thing with using this in a film is that is displays all YOUR personal files, if there was a way to modify it so that it didn't scan certain directories, I would use it.
LostOverThere
Well, it runs so fast its virtually impossible for a user to pick it up. Even if they paused it, chances are it would have gone to fast for the camera to pick it up so it would be a little blurred upwards.
hack_man_
LostOverThere wrote:
Well, it runs so fast its virtually impossible for a user to pick it up. Even if they paused it, chances are it would have gone to fast for the camera to pick it up so it would be a little blurred upwards.

Not really, it would be easy to see if you were recording your screen using software, real-time framerates... Also, if you have very large folders, like folders with lots of files in them... There is a delay before it shows the contents, and that delay gives you plenty of time to see the files in the previous folder at the top of the window...
erlendhg
I would have to agree.
It is fun, but has no good use for anything than your own entertainment.

After all, it is just a directory listing Razz

Btw, it is even cooler, if you run it with Window XP, and make the command window fullscreen (alt+enter). Too bad fullscreen command line isn't supported in Vista Razz

Talking about Vista, I really hope that Microsoft releases a service pack or something very soon. Vista, to me, is a complete disaster.
greatfire
its alright but although it lasts a decent time on my computer text just blurrs by, i cant see anything but a blurr of green, even going through my bigger folders (about 20 gigs) no slow down.
dwcnps
It's good but some lines one my computer are the same length in one or two areas, making it a bit boring, but apart from that, its cool.

As the other frihosters said it would be really good if we had a version that displayed unusual characters on the screen.