FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Foot and Mouth (Returned Again)

newso
Yet again in the united kingdom another case of foot and mouth has broke out. This time in the area of Solihull near Birmingham.

They have closed off the area and now have it in control. What do you all think of this, do you think that they go over the top with this or do you think they are right in taking it so serious.

i think that its good to see we are always on top of these things in the united kingdom.
Loghete
I don't get you.

I have no clue what you mean with foot and mouth... please, explain.
newso
Its a disease that animals get here in the United Kingdom.

Foot-and-mouth disease (FMD), sometimes called hoof-and-mouth disease, is a highly contagious but non-fatal viral disease of cattle and pigs. It can also infect deer, goats, sheep, and other animals with cloven hooves, as well as elephants, rats, and hedgehogs. Horses are not susceptible to FMD. Humans are affected only very rarely.

The principal signs are pyrexia followed by vesicle formation in the mouth and feet resulting in salivation and lameness
yo.hassan
its something like that mad cow disease? so you guys going to have a ban/stop exporting beef? better...
GSIS
It turns out the suspected outbreak near Solihull was a false alarm.

For those who want to know what FMD is, Google is your friend.

The disease is highly controversial because it is rarely fatal and it does not affect humans in any way. Only public opinion (especially for exported products) makes it necessary. Slaughtering all infected (and suspect animals within a certain radius) is a choice made by the Government to support the export of meat and other meat products.

The current intensity of farming in the UK, in combination with the very fast incubation period of the diseases (2 days) makes any culling policy unlikely to succeed except for very isolated outbreaks. Culling harms the business and health of farmers. and their families, very severely.

We really need a change of public opinion towards vaccination, with culling of actual outbreaks rather than allowing the herds NO immunity, then culling them when - surprise, surprise - they can't fight the infection if and when it arrives within a few miles of them.
a.Bird
I'm against slaughter as a first action to controlling such an outbreak, but I am for the importance of eliminating the disease. Over time, a disease has the opportunity to evolve and could lead to an infection on the human population. Then maybe... just maybe... the uninfected would have to form factions and dedicate the rest of their fragile lives to extinguishing hoards of infected zombies who roam the soil hungry to the bone and ready for blood. I have rich blood and of course would be prime zombie snack so perhaps that is what causes my sincere urgency to eliminate any risky disease.
GSIS
a.Bird wrote:
Then maybe... just maybe... the uninfected would have to form factions and dedicate the rest of their fragile lives to extinguishing hoards of infected zombies who roam the soil hungry to the bone and ready for blood. I have rich blood and of course would be prime zombie snack so perhaps that is what causes my sincere urgency to eliminate any risky disease.

I think you might just be getting a little paranoid here ... Wink

However, the UK now has its first case of bluetongue disease. If that mutates into a human form we'll be hunted down and eaten by Blue Tongued Zombies. Laughing

I am happy to report, however, that I've just enjoyed my first Salt Marsh Lamb. Due to all the nutrients it gets from coastal living (about 200 more than ordinary inland lamb) it is much tastier - and healthier. Drool

Burrrp.
newso
so solihull was cleared of the disease after tests came back. So it doesnt look like were all going to turn into zombies after all lol.

But i guess it just shows how good they are in the UK of containing disease's and keeping them under control.

We havent had sars, bird flu or many other deadly deseases that other countrys have had. We are good.

The people who made posts above me sound like they want to be in a resident evil film or something lol.
Aless
The one that broke out in Surrey (near Egham) was literally very close to my old house!! I moved out in March, but it's still funny to think that the farm just down the road (stone's throw away!) is now famous on the news. I really don't think it's cause for concern on a broader scale, though.
GSIS
My main concern is that by not allowing livestock to develop natural defences (perhaps assisted by vaccination) we actually create a weak population that is too highly dependant on our scientific skills to save it (or our barbarian skills to destroy it) when a highly contagious disease appears.

We should, perhaps, be taking a long term view. By adopting a 'survival of the fittest' approach with livestock we may reduce the quality and/or value of livestock but we will reduce the risk of total loss when a sufficiently dangerous virus evolves.
Josso
Surprised people that aren't from the UK don't know about this, I suppose it's because it's a massive thing only over here. Huge impact on farmers, it ruins their business completely.
newso
Josso wrote:
Surprised people that aren't from the UK don't know about this, I suppose it's because it's a massive thing only over here. Huge impact on farmers, it ruins their business completely.

I suppose its cuz only the UK media would only be stupid enough to dedicated a whole 30minutes of news on the situation.

I cant imagine any other counrty wasting 30minutes of news on such a stupid story.
Josso
newso wrote:
Josso wrote:

I suppose its cuz only the UK media would only be stupid enough to dedicated a whole 30minutes of news on the situation.

I cant imagine any other counrty wasting 30minutes of news on such a stupid story.

Well actually I'd say it's pretty relevant and not "stupid" - this situation ruined the lives of many people by wrecking their business completely. A lot of cattle has to be slaughtered in order to stop the outbreak in the past, there really isn't anyone to compensate for losses either. Think about what the hell your saying before you post something.
newso
Josso wrote:
newso wrote:
Josso wrote:

Well actually I'd say it's pretty relevant and not "stupid" - this situation ruined the lives of many people by wrecking their business completely. A lot of cattle has to be slaughtered in order to stop the outbreak in the past, there really isn't anyone to compensate for losses either. Think about what the hell your saying before you post something.

Shut up, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I dont like your tone what so ever. I was stating the fact that they were only suspected cases and was not actually confirmed. So until they were confirmed they shudnt dedicate news to it.

As for you, your attitude stinks. I pay my TV license just like everyone else. I am entitled to MY opinion on what i think should be shown on the service. I am entitled to that, so dont tell me what to say. Cuz i say wat i want when i want.
Josso
Quote:
As for you, your attitude stinks. I pay my TV license just like everyone else. I am entitled to MY opinion on what i think should be shown on the service. I am entitled to that, so dont tell me what to say. Cuz i say wat i want when i want.

OH LOOK AT ME I HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH, THAT MEANS I CAN BE AN ****** AND HAVE NO-ONE QUESTION ME FOR IT.
newso
wasnt being a *****. Im not going to argue. You trying to tell me what i should and shouldnt do. Im entitled to my opinion because like i said i pay my TV licence and can have my opinion on what or not should be shown.

I dont mind like 5 minutes of news about foot and mouth. But when u switch on the news every day of the week and all they talking about is that. I dont think i should have to pay my TV licence.

So sorry if i offended you for speaking my mind about what i PAY for.
Josso
Haha ok
Hunterseaker
I think it is the right thing to take quick actions, because once the disease has spread, the damage will be much larger then it is now.
Now only a few farms are the victim of the disease, else the whole country is....
Here in the Netherlands we have some farmers who say the won't clear out their cattle in case of foot and mouth. They can destroy the whole economy because once it is spread, no foreign country will buy Dutch meat anymore..... Thats why it is good that England is very quick in his response, to safe the economy.
newso
Hunterseaker wrote:
I think it is the right thing to take quick actions, because once the disease has spread, the damage will be much larger then it is now.
Now only a few farms are the victim of the disease, else the whole country is....
Here in the Netherlands we have some farmers who say the won't clear out their cattle in case of foot and mouth. They can destroy the whole economy because once it is spread, no foreign country will buy Dutch meat anymore..... Thats why it is good that England is very quick in his response, to safe the economy.

yeah defentley. You can bank on the UK in getting rid of it because we are always world class as this type of thing. We are always on top.
achowles
I just hope that there are no knee-jerk reactions like there were last time. It's bound to happen again, even if this was a false alarm. I just hope that they're more adequately prepared for when it does happen again.
Donutey
The culling is more about maintaining the market for beef etc, rather than actually protecting the public. However, any disease that rapidly spreads (no matter how innocuous it seems) is cause for alarm.