FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer powers on, but no Monitor Signal

ricebowl
Hey guys,

I have a problem with my PC. I was wondering if I can get some help. I am not computer savvy so I need all the help and patience I can get. An example of my computer ignorance, is the fact that I don't know where the CPU is located or what it looks like. Is it the thing underneath the Motherboard fan? Here's the situation:

A couple of days ago my computer freezes on me. I figure it just overheated cause it reached 120 degrees F and had been all day. I manually shut it down and leave it off for a few hours to cool down. I come back to it and it powers and boots on just fine. Everything was normal, but a little while later it freezes again. I thought that was odd. I manually shut it down and turn it on again. It powers on but the monitor had no signal.

I thought it was the ATI graphics card that has given me problems before. So I disconnected it and reseated it back into the slot. Nothing. I plugged the VGA monitor cable into the onboard connection. Nothing. I took my monitor and cables and tested on my friend's laptop. It works fine. So I know it's not my monitor.

I have disconnected and reattached the memory. That didn't work.

Here are other things I noticed:

When I power my computer all fans come on. The power indicator light comes on but the activity light does not. The lights on the keyboard do not come on as well. There is an instant sound coming from the hard drive once I power on the computer. I wouldn't necessarily consider it a distinct beep. I honestly haven't taken notice if that's normal or not. I am not sure what a hard drive beep is supposed to sound like.

From reading other posts and such, many have concluded that it may be the cpu or motherboard. Could it also be the hard drives? I afraid that it might be the motherboard as well. How do I go about troubleshooting from here because this goes beyond my knowledge and I don't want to screw up my computer more than it is already. Thanks alot guys! I appreciate your time.
coreymanshack
ricebowl wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a problem with my PC. I was wondering if I can get some help. I am not computer savvy so I need all the help and patience I can get. An example of my computer ignorance, is the fact that I don't know where the CPU is located or what it looks like. Is it the thing underneath the Motherboard fan? Here's the situation:

A couple of days ago my computer freezes on me. I figure it just overheated cause it reached 120 degrees F and had been all day. I manually shut it down and leave it off for a few hours to cool down. I come back to it and it powers and boots on just fine. Everything was normal, but a little while later it freezes again. I thought that was odd. I manually shut it down and turn it on again. It powers on but the monitor had no signal.

I thought it was the ATI graphics card that has given me problems before. So I disconnected it and reseated it back into the slot. Nothing. I plugged the VGA monitor cable into the onboard connection. Nothing. I took my monitor and cables and tested on my friend's laptop. It works fine. So I know it's not my monitor.

When I power my computer all fans come on. The power indicator light comes on but the activity light does not. The lights on the keyboard do not come on as well. There is an instant sound coming from the hard drive once I power on the computer. I wouldn't necessarily consider it a distinct beep. I honestly haven't taken notice if that's normal or not. I am not sure what a hard drive beep is supposed to sound like.

From reading other posts and such, many have concluded that it may be the cpu or motherboard. Could it also be the hard drives? I afraid that it might be the motherboard as well. How do I go about troubleshooting from here because this goes beyond my knowledge and I don't want to screw up my computer more than it is already. Thanks alot guys! I appreciate your time.

If this sound coming from your harddrive is a clicking noise, your hard drive is going dead.
I'm almost certain though it is your motherboard.
yes, the cpu is under the fan on the mobo.
it's just a chip with tons of pins on it.
be sure when you are messing with ur computer to not discharge static electricity into it.
at your local computer store they should sell armbands that prevent static shock from ruining your components.
ricebowl
Thanks for the tip. Very much appreciated. Knowing is half the battle.

Well I tried a random method I read about where you take out the coin sized battery from the mother board for a while then stick it back in. That didn't work. Though it makes me wonder would my problems be because I need to replace this battery? What are the symptoms of a failing battery besides having the internal clock continuously run slow?

Here's note for those who try this battery method: be aware that your computer automatically turns on without you manually powering it. I just switched to stand by and it powered on by it self.

Next up Im going to try and mess with the jumpers. I don't know exactly what do or what it is. I just keep reading about it and how it can possibly recover. Here's another stupid question: What is a BIOS?
coreymanshack
ricebowl wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Very much appreciated. Knowing is half the battle.

Well I tried a random method I read about where you take out the coin sized battery from the mother board for a while then stick it back in. That didn't work. Though it makes me wonder would my problems be because I need to replace this battery? What are the symptoms of a failing battery besides having the internal clock continuously run slow?

Here's note for those who try this battery method: be aware that your computer automatically turns on without you manually powering it. I just switched to stand by and it powered on by it self.

Next up Im going to try and mess with the jumpers. I don't know exactly what do or what it is. I just keep reading about it and how it can possibly recover. Here's another stupid question: What is a BIOS?

Basic Input Output System. I don't think reseting your bios will fix your computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS
m-productions
Also, this may seem very simple, make sure ALL your wires are in tight, I had such a problem when building a comp in tech class... one of our 2nd power cables from the power supply got loose, and wasnt powering the video card, or the 2 back fans...
coreymanshack
Yea, if it's an atx board make sure the 4 pin power connector is plugged in.
ricebowl
So I took your advice and rechecked all my connections. I disconnected and reconnected every single connections I could find. Unfortunately it didn't work. I went out and bought a new motherboard and am going to try and see if it works. That should cure my problems...I hope. If not, I can always return the motherboard and rule out that as a problem.
coreymanshack
ricebowl wrote:
So I took your advice and rechecked all my connections. I disconnected and reconnected every single connections I could find. Unfortunately it didn't work. I went out and bought a new motherboard and am going to try and see if it works. That should cure my problems...I hope. If not, I can always return the motherboard and rule out that as a problem.

Heck, I'd keep the mobo for future use Very Happy
ssthanapati
So u have tried resetting ur graphics card, ram, checked all connections etc. Now try this. I had a similar problem and i had thought the mother board had died.

Remove all connections from motherboard(mobo) then take out the ram and other cards one by one, Next its time to take out ur CPU. Be careful while u take out the cpu as it can be easily damaged. Remove the battery. Keep the mobo idle for 30 mins to 1 hr. Refit everything like it was earlier. Then install the battery. Most probably it should work. If it dosent then either u fried ur mobo or cpu as u had mentioned earlier that its temp was 125C
coreymanshack
ssthanapati wrote:
So u have tried resetting ur graphics card, ram, checked all connections etc. Now try this. I had a similar problem and i had thought the mother board had died.

Remove all connections from motherboard(mobo) then take out the ram and other cards one by one, Next its time to take out ur CPU. Be careful while u take out the cpu as it can be easily damaged. Remove the battery. Keep the mobo idle for 30 mins to 1 hr. Refit everything like it was earlier. Then install the battery. Most probably it should work. If it dosent then either u fried ur mobo or cpu as u had mentioned earlier that its temp was 125C

He said 120F, 125C would be a lot worse, your computer would have been on fire. Some of your components probably fried at 120F. Most likely in this order.

MOBO
GRAPHIX
CPU
SOUND
RAM
HARD DiSK
ricebowl
Thanks for your continued advice guys. I replaced my motherboard. I connected everything and what happened was something I did not expect. A whole new problem occurred. It would power on. Now this time I had picture on my monitor! During its bootup, the whole computer shuts down. I checked all my connections and made sure they were correct. I powered on and it happened again. During this noticed that my keyboard lights were still lit even after the computer shutdown.

So I went back to basics. I disconnected all cards, hard drives, and cd/dvd drives, etc. I just left the essentials, my cpu & fan, memory, power supply, and mobo. I turned it on...and it stayed on. I added an item one by one and powering on my computer trying to pinpoint what was making my computer act in such a way. And one by one, it was running fine without an involuntary shutdown.

I got it to the point where I had everything connected. It booted up. I even logged into windows. Besides a few hardware updates everything seemed as it was. My settings were normal, and nothing seemed out of place. I thought it was miraculously fixed. I was cruising nicely for moment until it shut down again.

After a couple more tests and shut downs, I noticed that it shuts down when my computer was running video, streaming or off my hard drive. So I thought it could be a faulty video card or not enough power was supplied while running video. So I went out and got a new power supply and video graphics card.

I took out my old 300W power supply and installed a 500W one. I tried running my computer. It still shut off while running video, though the computer did not shut as quickly as it did before. I replaced my old video card with a new one. I ran my computer. This time I had 3 videos running at the same time to test it. After a lengthy amount of time, at least 15 min but probably 30 min it didn't shut off. So i thought it was fixed. Maybe half an hour to an hour later it shuts off.

Installing the new power supply and video card definitely help prolong my computer experience, but the problem is still there. My computer still shuts off and now I have no clue to go from here to fix it, whatever it may be. The only thought I have now is that I have a faulty CPU, which really seems like the end all.

Thanks again guys for sticking with me. Any thoughts on this new problem?
coreymanshack
ricebowl wrote:
Thanks for your continued advice guys. I replaced my motherboard. I connected everything and what happened was something I did not expect. A whole new problem occurred. It would power on. Now this time I had picture on my monitor! During its bootup, the whole computer shuts down. I checked all my connections and made sure they were correct. I powered on and it happened again. During this noticed that my keyboard lights were still lit even after the computer shutdown.

So I went back to basics. I disconnected all cards, hard drives, and cd/dvd drives, etc. I just left the essentials, my cpu & fan, memory, power supply, and mobo. I turned it on...and it stayed on. I added an item one by one and powering on my computer trying to pinpoint what was making my computer act in such a way. And one by one, it was running fine without an involuntary shutdown.

I got it to the point where I had everything connected. It booted up. I even logged into windows. Besides a few hardware updates everything seemed as it was. My settings were normal, and nothing seemed out of place. I thought it was miraculously fixed. I was cruising nicely for moment until it shut down again.

After a couple more tests and shut downs, I noticed that it shuts down when my computer was running video, streaming or off my hard drive. So I thought it could be a faulty video card or not enough power was supplied while running video. So I went out and got a new power supply and video graphics card.

I took out my old 300W power supply and installed a 500W one. I tried running my computer. It still shut off while running video, though the computer did not shut as quickly as it did before. I replaced my old video card with a new one. I ran my computer. This time I had 3 videos running at the same time to test it. After a lengthy amount of time, at least 15 min but probably 30 min it didn't shut off. So i thought it was fixed. Maybe half an hour to an hour later it shuts off.

Installing the new power supply and video card definitely help prolong my computer experience, but the problem is still there. My computer still shuts off and now I have no clue to go from here to fix it, whatever it may be. The only thought I have now is that I have a faulty CPU, which really seems like the end all.

Thanks again guys for sticking with me. Any thoughts on this new problem?

Have you tried running your system with only a hard disk and video card, ya know, just the basics, no cd drives and such, even unplug your usb drives. Those could be making it do this.
brokenadvice
It seems to me that your ATI video card is fried. You should take out the ATI card and plug the monitor directly into the motherboard slot. If it works that means you need a new graphics card.
ricebowl
Hey guys,

Sorry, Let me clarify what I did before. There's a little confusion. I did run the computer with just the basics when I installed my new mobo. I started with the basics. Then I powered on the computer to see if it shut down. I let it run about at least 15 min sometimes longer. It didn't shut down. Then I added one component at a time. A hard disk if you will. Then powered it on. Let it run idle and see if it shut down. It didn't. I kept doing this process until my computer was completey installed. I let it run idle and it didn't shut down at all. It was until I started working on it specifically streaming and playing video that it shut down.

Logically I thought it could be either the power supply or the video card. So I replaced my power supply, and it still shut down after playing video for awhile. So I figure it has to be the video card. I replaced my video card with a new one. I ran my computer and my computer still shut down after playing video for a while. You may say it could have been my ATI card, well I replaced it and it still happened. I tested every single component on this computer. I have no clue.
XeononyX
Well I have build several systems where I previously worked and I picked up a tip or two here and there. Since it is powering down after it has loaded after a period of time it kinda points me in the direction of the cooling system of your computer. I have read all posts and suggestions and read what you tested. You did a great job, it appears to me all you pieces are in fine working order.

What is happening is your system is getting too hot. Not just the CPU persay but the whole system in general.

But first for me to diagnose a cooling problem I first need to know what you got. How many fans do you have. is there a tiny little fan on your north bridge. If you do have fans where are they located.

The optimum setup is to have an fan in the front of the case blowin into the case and then a fan or 2 in the back blowing out. This creates a flow blowing all the hot air out of the back of the case. if they are both pointing in or out .. it is counterproductive your pretty much just blowing hot air over the components.

Also to this nature your case has to be closed to work properly. If the side of the case is off the cooling system is rendered useless because the airflow does not cross the path of the components.

What is more than likely is happening is that the whole system in general is getting too hot and the RAM and the North Bridge is crashing the system.

There are other tips for cooling I can suggest: Heat spreaders on the ram chips. Everything goes through the ram and if it gets hot. The information gets jumbled, causes errors and causes you operating system to reboot or power down all together. Another thing is the general cleanliness of the system, make sure and use compressed air to clear all the dust off the components and the powersupply. Dust is a heat magnet and can cause more problems than you can possibly imagine. Another thing is the orginization of your cables. especially ribbon cables, ribbon cables can directly affect the flow of air over vital components like the ram and north bridge. So make them pretty and try to lay them flat, tie up your power supply cables with wire ties. I stronly suggest geting "round" ide cables. If you are using SATA drives .. well the cables won't be a problem.

And if all that fails you may need to purchase another case fan for the back and/or front. Hopefully this will help.

Let me know the details of your cooling system and what kind of processor you have and I can analyze even more for you.

edit: also I need to know if you are overclocking your processor.
Bones
I agree with Xeon, this sounds like a heat problem. I think there was also a fault in the video card, but that has been replaced and now the system seems to run for soem time before shutting down.

First question, when you put the cpu in the new mobo, did you use thermal paste between the cpu and heat sink? The old dried up paste is no good and must be replaced!

If there is any temperature monitoring software that came with the mobo, try sitting there for a half hour keeping an eye on the temp and see if it just gets higher and higher as the system is in use. If the mobo didnt come with any such software, you might want to look in your BIOS, quite a few of them have a temp monitor built in.

good luck!
XeononyX
Well it appears that the situation has been resolved! Smile
amysanders
You could try flashing your bios, you can do this buy moving these litle jummper plugs in your pc till it works correctly, they can be a green colour or black or grey maybe more but thats all iv seen so far.
doppleganger
well i would like to do my part since no one specified abt the jumpers

well jumpers are like a 3 pronged fork - a small fork which will be situated somewhere near the small round battery or cell

out of the three prongs two will be covered with a sheath like thing like a small cover

for example if we number the three prongs 1,2 & 3
and 1&2 are covered u need to remove the cover n put it on 2&3 and then remove it back and put it again on 1&2

just be abit careful so that u do not damage the jumpers

dats all is remaining i think
XeononyX
amysanders wrote:
You could try flashing your bios, you can do this buy moving these litle jummper plugs in your pc till it works correctly, they can be a green colour or black or grey maybe more but thats all iv seen so far.

This process isn't really flashing your bios, this is simply resetting it. This is also easier to do by removing the CR-2525 watch battery on the board and letting it sit for a minute then plugging it back in. Unless you are 100% sure the jumper you are switching is the reset jumper I do not reccomend "switching jumpers around till it works" this can be devestating to your system. There are jumpers to disable certain components to your board and to set Bus speeds, and CPU overclocking rates.

The act of flashing your bios is usually to install an update to you bios via special software usually downloaded via the internet using a floppy disk. If you do this follow all documentation carefully because if you computer gets reset or powered down in the middle of a flash it will render you board useless and the only way to get it to work again would be to send it to the manufacturer to reset it.

Hope this clears things up.
Redbud
ricebowl wrote:
Hey guys,

i had the same prb. you had. but all i did was unplug your pc!! and take out the memory ,clean it from dust etc. wipe the connectors off with soft cotton rag . then reseat them in and pug pc in,reboot now it seems to work fine. good luck
gfreezy
Bones wrote:
I agree with Xeon, this sounds like a heat problem. I think there was also a fault in the video card, but that has been replaced and now the system seems to run for soem time before shutting down.

First question, when you put the cpu in the new mobo, did you use thermal paste between the cpu and heat sink? The old dried up paste is no good and must be replaced!

If there is any temperature monitoring software that came with the mobo, try sitting there for a half hour keeping an eye on the temp and see if it just gets higher and higher as the system is in use. If the mobo didnt come with any such software, you might want to look in your BIOS, quite a few of them have a temp monitor built in.

good luck!

i agree with Bones. i have came across a situation that the cpu fan runs in a slow speed.because the fan is loose.just press it .everything comes ok again.
good luck.
Fire Boar
I tend to think that the OP will have solved or abandoned his problem now, given that the thread is over 3 years old.