FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

mySQL and serverload

m-productions
Alright this is kind of a two parter. and not that important at the momment

I wish to have a 2 player gamer, very very very basic. Im not worried about bandwith or anything (as I said very basic) basicly all it does is check the mysql to see if a number has changed... thats all it does... however, it does this every 3 seconds.. (and 2 players,) so it would happend twice every 3 seconds.... however its only for 2 people, and all it is, is a php script checking the database, (no different from a user loading a forum page... in fact, less work, only 1 thing to pull) however, I dont want it to slow down the server (it dosnt seem to slow down when its on my comp) So i dont think it has any server load, however, the forum sigs no longer show server load... so I wont know if it will or not...

so the 2 questions

1) Do you really think this would cuase any load (I dont think so, but I wish to check first)
2) how do you check?
coreymanshack
m-productions wrote:
Alright this is kind of a two parter. and not that important at the momment

I wish to have a 2 player gamer, very very very basic. Im not worried about bandwith or anything (as I said very basic) basicly all it does is check the mysql to see if a number has changed... thats all it does... however, it does this every 3 seconds.. (and 2 players,) so it would happend twice every 3 seconds.... however its only for 2 people, and all it is, is a php script checking the database, (no different from a user loading a forum page... in fact, less work, only 1 thing to pull) however, I dont want it to slow down the server (it dosnt seem to slow down when its on my comp) So i dont think it has any server load, however, the forum sigs no longer show server load... so I wont know if it will or not...

so the 2 questions

1) Do you really think this would cuase any load (I dont think so, but I wish to check first)
2) how do you check?

how are you going to query mysql with php every 3 seconds? ajax?
m-productions
Flash.

Just something very basic (just for testing reasons). flash will call a php script thats nothing more than a mysql lookup for a number in mysql (which the number would be the cords of square) something as simple as that. As I said, I really dont think this would cause any loadtime.. but thought I should ask first, as i dont know how to check myself now that the sigs are down.
Bondings
Every 3 seconds is really a lot. Is the game going to be played during the whole day or just from time to time?
m-productions
time to time..., and only a total of 2 people. As this is more of a test than anything else.