FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you all think about Bob Dylan?

moworks2
Do you all know who he is or am I too dated?

He's one of my favorite song writers. I think a lot of what he writes is brilliant, soul searching, poetic, and timeless.

Yes, he has some lines that seem a bit weird or out of place but for the most part that's not the case. Even then, his lyrical patchwork holds together.

I think in fifty years, maybe sooner, maybe later, he'll be looked at as the Mozart or Beethoven or something like that of his time.

What do you think?

My favorite album is Time Out of Mind. It's also my favorite album title. I really love Million Miles but jeez, every cut on that album just shines. Man oh man, he's got so many great songs/stories over his career it's hard to pick a few here or there.

kind regards

M[/quote]
SlowWalkere
I love Bob Dylan. I wouldn't necessarily put him in my top five, but I'd listen to him anytime...

I brought one of his CDs in to work for a while (I think it was a greatest hits collection, but I'm not sure). One of my co-workers liked Dylan too, so we played it all the time. One of our other co-workers absolutely hated him though. He called Dylan's music something like "country hick crap." But that made it all the more fun to play it =)

Apparently Dylan doesn't appeal to everyone.

- Walkere
moworks2
SlowWalkere wrote:
I love Bob Dylan. I wouldn't necessarily put him in my top five, but I'd listen to him anytime...

I brought one of his CDs in to work for a while (I think it was a greatest hits collection, but I'm not sure). One of my co-workers liked Dylan too, so we played it all the time. One of our other co-workers absolutely hated him though. He called Dylan's music something like "country hick crap." But that made it all the more fun to play it =)

Apparently Dylan doesn't appeal to everyone.

- Walkere

yeah, i get that...some people don't like his voice...if it isn't like frank sinatra's it's no good...but i love the raspy, rough quality...what i'm amazed at often are the music compositions, they are just amazing on Time Out of Mind...and the lyrics,...he's extremely intelligent touching on subject matter that other song writers never approach...

M
Tumbleweed
I always seem to prefer cover versions of Dylan songs, Leo Kottke's version of north country fair is probably my fav followed by Jimi Hendrix with all along the watch tower
wabik90
Yeah, I like him very much. I like him because of music which he made and because of his personality. His music is very good, I like to listen it, and the text it's clever and have deep meaning!

Cheers Smile
GB
Yeah, he's okay. Don't know if you ever listen to Garrison Keillor on A Prairie Home Companion, but in one of his older shows he did a hilarious mock advertisement for him. He might have been on a show. In any case, it was quite humorous.
fourx
One of the most profound musical influences of the counter-culture movement of the mid to late 1960's. My feeling, however, is that Time Out Of Mind and anything from Saved ( excuse me while I vomit) is a sad, wased-out reflection of the towering talent evident in Blond On Blond and Nashville Skyline.
While Frank Sinatra was crooning ""Strangers in the night, scoobie doobie doo"", Hoover- clones were bugging phones, Bakker and Swaggert were pure as driven snow and Jim Jones was handing out the poisoned Kool-Aid Dylan was singing "" ..see the primative wallflower frieze, where the jelly-faced women all sneeze..hear the one with the moustache say - Jeez, I can't find my knees ..""'
Kind of says it all, really... Idea
goosesong
There are plenty others like fourx who think Dylan stopped being Dylan sometime in the 1970s. It's a respectable point-of-view; very few artists come become iconic of a particular moment in history, and for good or bad Dylan became the quintessential figure of the 1960s and 1970s. I agree with fourx that Saved and the other 'Christian' albums (with the possible exception of Slow Train Coming, which I have some time for) represent career low-points. But hats off to Dylan. In recent years he has released some very strong writing in albums Time out of Mind (not my own favourite, althught Not Dark Yet is a great great song), Love and Theft and last year's Modern Times. He has also commended himself has a innovative broadcaster through his Theme Time Radio series, and published the truly remarkable Chronicles Volume 1. Not bad for a late flowering, I would say. Also, in late career he has rediscovered a sense of humour (even telling jokes in one song: Freddy? Freddy who? Freddy or not, here I come...) and a fine line in self-mockery:

"Well I'm drivin' in the flats in a Cadillac car
The girls all say, "You're a worn out star"
My pockets are loaded and I'm spending every dime
How can you say you love someone else when you know it's me all the time?"
(Summer Days, Love and Theft)
mattchun
Do you mean the one who always be connected to country songs? If so, I like him.
yagnyavalkya
my best number is "The Times They Are a-Changin'
Suits my signature eh?
fastguitar99
amazing lyrics but his voice and singing is terrible
devotchka
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind Mr. Green

How could one not love the work of such a brilliant artist!

"I see a lot of people as I make the rounds
And I hear her name here and there as I go from town to town
And I've never gotten used to it, I've just learned to turn it off
Either I'm too sensitive or else I'm gettin' soft."

I find his voice rather pleasant (Try and listen to Lay, lady, lay).
There is no denying that he is a poet.
liljp617
fastguitar99 wrote:
amazing lyrics but his voice and singing is terrible

Yes sir Smile Without his ability to portray his emotion so well, I don't think he would have gotten near as far in the business.
Bengt
yagnyavalkya wrote:
my best number is "The Times They Are a-Changin'
Suits my signature eh?

oh god, great song yes.
I like Bob Dylan's songs a lot. Great personality as well though. Smile
kriminalas
I love his lyrics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crazy_Canuck
I love Dylan, and am a student of his work--from the very beginning through Desire, 1976, after which his output became quite erratic until his most recent albums as mentioned above.

An online friend of mine, also a Dylanist, often said that he would win the Nobel Prize for Literature, and that may be true. (He was first nominated in 1997). Certainly, it's a testament to the fact that his artistry far transcends the traditional boundaries of pop music.

He is an artist, a poet, a visionary, a philosopher, a revolutionary and an icon.

Can he sing? Hell, no! But his singing is a perfect complement to his music and lyrics.

To everyone reading this thread, do yourself a favour and check out the earliest stuff and then work your way up to the modern stuff. If you pay attention chronologically to Dylan's evolution as an artist, especially his phenomenal output between 64 and 68; and his continual transformation to ever-new and innovative musical and songwriting styles, you will be in awe. I defy anyone to do this, thoughtfully and thoroughly, and not come up a convert.

Also, here's a great article to read to get a bird's eye view of Dylan's significance and contribution to 20th/21st century pop music culture and history (and put his various "periods" into context): Bob Dylan, by Bill Wyman, Salon Magazine, May 22, 2001.

Enjoy. And anyone who would like to do some literary criticism of Dylan's lyrics, it's one of my favourite hobbies. Smile PM me, or start a thread! I will definitely join you.
toasterintheoven
Bob Dylan is the greatest