FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Free legal music





Athomix
Wath are your best adress of good podcasts, of bootlegs, ... Question Question

For me *edited* =>audio is a good adress of "bootlegism"

Helios: Athomix, you may edit this post now.
froginabox
You realize that the files on that site are still illegal? While there may be an ownership disclaimer, such "mashups" are considered a derrivative work, which fall under the exclusive use rights of the composer / copyright holder.
Helios
I don't see anythig legal about that site...

-close-


Edit: unlocking. The site seems to be fine, because those are not the original songs.
If any other moderator disagrees, he/she may lock this thread.
Athomix
Thank you Helios to stop the closing Very Happy


So you can put shortcuts but ONLY shortcuts of LEGAL podcast or of LEGAL bootlegs adress!
If it's NOT LEGAL you post will be DELETE.
willy101
If you'd like free LEGAL music, there's this new service that just launch that seems to be in accord with the RIAA. http://www.spiralfrog.com/

Smile [/url]
Kamo
All music from netlabels is free to grab too.
Athomix
The first link who was delete was *edited for now* Wink

Untempo vol1 is very good Wink
Afaceinthematrix
The only truly legal website that I've ever seen for downloading music is www.soundclick.com

This site is legal because it's basically a "music" version of myspace. If you are an artist or are in a band, you can sign up here and make a page for yourself or your band and put your music on it. Then you can have the option of allowing people to download your songs. So it's perfectly legal because your making your songs and allowing people to download them. But all other websites that I've seen for downloading music aren't really legal...
Athomix
[url]*edited for now*[/url] is totaly legal because there are not original songs, all the music are composed by "Ben Double M" and he use only some voice to create the music, the rest is made by himself, and there are not license. So you can download and listen this music!
But you can't play this song on a radio or in a party.

So have a good time...
newso
willy101 wrote:
If you'd like free LEGAL music, there's this new service that just launch that seems to be in accord with the RIAA. http://www.spiralfrog.com/

Smile [/url]



No good to me, because im only its only in the USA and Canada at the moment. However if anyone wants to create an account for me id be very happy. Might see some Frih$ passed your way too Very Happy Cuz it doenst say in the terms you can not let other people use your account Razz.

So really the acount would not be mine, id just be using it.
InsanePL
just go to last.fm, sometimes you cna download free mp3 or just listen music by their software
froginabox
Athomix wrote:
[url]*edited for now*[/url] is totaly legal because there are not original songs, all the music are composed by "Ben Double M" and he use only some voice to create the music, the rest is made by himself, and there are not license. So you can download and listen this music!
But you can't play this song on a radio or in a party.

So have a good time...


Using those voice tracks constitutes infringement unfortunately.... you are right, he does have the right to give away the music if he composed it, but once he adds someone else's voice tracks, it is no longer his to give away.
legion
Kamo wrote:
All music from netlabels is free to grab too.


Not all netlabels give music for free.

A good site for free music especially for electronic genre is www.archive.org. They have links to the netlabels who are credited with the music. For example http://www.archive.org/details/kikapu.
pudovkin
Agree. Last.FM and MySpace are great places to find new music, downloading or just live streaming it in a legal manner.
SonLight
froginabox wrote:


Using those voice tracks constitutes infringement unfortunately.... you are right, he does have the right to give away the music if he composed it, but once he adds someone else's voice tracks, it is no longer his to give away.


The legal status of doing that is unclear. Up to some point, use of a limited amount of another's copyrighted work is considered "fair use". Although some countries don't have this idea clearly spelled out in statutes, I believe that most courts in the world do recognize that there should be some freedom to copy small portions of a work provided the result is not in direct conflict with the original work.

Athomix, I think it's strange that they use the name "bootleg" in the title. To me that suggests something that is illegal. At best the name is misleading and confuses further the copyright status of the work.

You mentioned that it is downloadable for personal use, but not public performance. I assume those restrictions were placed on the music by the web site owner. To qualify under the "fair use" doctrine, he probably needed to impose that restriction, because otherwise his works could be in direct competition with the original works the voice tracks were taken from.
froginabox
SonLight wrote:

The legal status of doing that is unclear. Up to some point, use of a limited amount of another's copyrighted work is considered "fair use". Although some countries don't have this idea clearly spelled out in statutes, I believe that most courts in the world do recognize that there should be some freedom to copy small portions of a work provided the result is not in direct conflict with the original work.
(snipped)


In very small pieces you could get away with a fair use claim. However, when you're using a decent part of the song from both artists, I'd love to find a judge who would grant fair use. You're right, fair use and whether or not it constitutes a derivative work it is slightly ambiguous, but I personally would rather err on the side of caution and not that of a lawsuit.
Helios
This thread seems to be a bit problematic.
I'm locking it. I'll update when we decide whether to keep it locked or not.

EDIT:

Bondings replied to my thread saying we should keep this one closed.
Sorry Sad
Related topics
Yahoo takes on iTunes with new music service
US Supreme Court rules against file swapping
ebooks 4 download
Why I think iTunes is horrible
Free downloadable ebooks
Free improvised music
Free Online Music - Non Download
Free Online Music
Jamendo (Free LEGAL music)
Free sheet music
where to find free legal music downloads
BACH Free Sheet Music collection for piano in PDF
really reliable, non ad/spam/ , free sheet music website
Obama Sides With RIAA, Supports $150,000 Fine per Music Trac
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Music

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.