FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's The Chance?

ninjakannon
Yesterday I was in my Computing class at college and I glanced over at some guy's t-shirt. You might expect me to think nothing more of that, but the logo on the t-shirt reminded me of something, but what was it... I suddenly remembered the avatar of one of the FriHost members and looked at the guy's face. Then it hit me! I had looked at his myspace before - there had been a link in his sig, I think - and I remembered his face. Anyway, I got up and walked over to him asking "does 'FriHost' mean anything to you?". He looked up and told me that it did, need I go on?

That's right! Someone else from FriHost is in the same Computing class as I am at college. Wow! It really is one small world. I just found that so surreal and pretty amazing so I thought I'd share it with everyone.
mathiaus
I'm so glad to have finally met someone from Frihost face-to-face!

:P (No it wasn't me!)
Your right though, it really can be a small world. Who was it by the way? They must be themed if they make avatars and t-shirts to suit their style Smile
Zombie
Lol, that's pretty cool. Maybe Frihost will be like Ebay and Google someday (known to virtually everyone). And btw, if that guy wasn't wearing that strange T-shirt, you wouldn't have known he was a Frihoster. I wonder how many Frihosters are wandering around us everyday unnoticed. *insert Twilight Zone music here* We should invent a secret frihost gesture, or hanshake..... or not Very Happy
m-productions
thats pretty wild.. the fact that hes in your class. I was surprised to see how many people live in central florida here at frihost. I in fact know two people in real life that come to these forums, one of which is McDucque, know him for about 2-3 years now, and headie who ive known for about...1 and a half maybe.
Magicman
According to the count at the bottom of the main page there are 33,591 registered members on Frihost so it was bound to happen sometime that two members would meet. That is pretty crazy though that you did meet someone from these forums and that you recognized them by their avatar.
coreymanshack
that's awesome, i wish i could meet someone from online. any frihosters live near longview texas?

and please share with us ninjakanon, who was it that you met?
ninjakannon
The user is Josso!

He doesn't post around here much anymore because he's gone and got some huge server instead now and doesn't need FriHost.

I was so surprised when I realised that he was a member of FriHost - but as Magicman says, it was bound to happen, it was just a case of when.
xkobram
Inspired by this thread I tried to find some frihosters from my country, if there are some. I found 2 web pages, 1 was deleted and I wasn't able to find the activity of author of the second one - http://jaybee.frih.net. I think there could be about five frihosters in my 10 million country.

How about making frihost europe meeting? Very Happy

But recognizing someone by his avatar is really creepy.
coreymanshack
xkobram wrote:
Inspired by this thread I tried to find some frihosters from my country, if there are some. I found 2 web pages, 1 was deleted and I wasn't able to find the activity of author of the second one - http://jaybee.frih.net. I think there could be about five frihosters in my 10 million country.

How about making frihost europe meeting? Very Happy

But recognizing someone by his avatar is really creepy.

Well actually.... My avatar is my shadow. So people could recognize me better I guess? Then again, I don't have t-shirts that say xsdev on them.
tidruG
That's a pretty interesting story.
I've never met anyone from Frihost, but another Admin on this site lived in the same city as me for a while :P

And talking about avatars... well, there's a user on our forums who has her picture on her avatar, and a few months later, another user registered. Strangely, the new user had the same avatar as the old user. It took me some time to try and figure out which user it was, though. No names without permissions, though, sorry.
rvec
We could try to organize a meeting. Someone who has some spare time left and lives in western europe?
tidruG: your avatar would be nice for a t-shirt Smile
tidruG
Quote:
tidruG: your avatar would be nice for a t-shirt
Yes, but it wasn't designed by me. I don't remember where I found it... searching for the phrase "free your mind" doesn't even bring it up on Google Image Search anymore.

Anyway, about planning a Frihost Get-Together...
well, I don't know about this. Very few of us really know each other, and to meet strangers... hmm...
Kaisonic
It really is a small world. I once attended a rock concert in Columbus OH (Rock on the Range) that had thousands of people there, and at one point some random girl took a picture with me because of the shirt I was wearing (Bow Chicka Bow Wow from RedvsBlue.com). Then, just last weekend, I went to another concert (X-Fest in Dayton OH) and the same girl found me and told me how she was the one that took the picture with me (I was wearing the same shirt). And I heard that concert sold out at 20,000 people. It really is a small world.
Coclus
Wow that s really cool..
coreymanshack
That is cool, to bad we can't really have an actual get together. We all live in so many different parts of the world. It would cost a lot of money.
rvec
we can't all get together but to just see a couple of people would be nice. I think We should start such meetings in the language forums, and maybe a post in the general forum with links to all the language topics.
ChrisCh
Lol I found another Frihost member at my school - I was walking past some of the computers and noticed someone posting away on the Frihost forums!

That was a while ago, and I don't think they're active anymore... but still, a small world!
Genesiz
I think it would be wicked to have a FriHost get-together, or meet some other people from Frihost. You post on this forum so regularly that it feels as though these people are your friends. And then to actually meet one of them. Wow. Amazing.

Any plans to do so then.....
ninjakannon
In all honesty I'm not too up for a FriHost get-together. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice to actually meet some of the people from here, it's just that there are a few problems. For a start I personally don't have enough time or money to go and meet others from here. Secondly, I don't know most of the FriHost members enough to want to see them, I wouldn't mind meeting a few but I hardly know most. I think, furthermore, that the turn-out at such an event would be pretty poor and the only thing that would make it truly worthwhile would be if enough people actually promised to show up.

I know I can't do it, unless it was very close - but then it wouldn't be very accessible for many others.
rightclickscott
ThornsofSorrow, I believe, lives in the same state as me, or, I think her brother does. I'm not entirely sure, but because of the picture she had in her avi, it wouldn't be too hard to recognize her.
PatTheGreat42
It's not really all that amazing. I mean, people on FriHost are amazing, and it's only natural they'd congregate together.

Speaking of which, anyone want to bring me cake? I could really go for some cake.
sabe
I think it is great that you met someone @ frihost too. Is the next step to get a frihost dating service????
divinitywolf
I've met a fellow frihoster. Its ninjakannon!
I'm friends with him in real life anyway. Have been before i even went on frihost.
So yeah people'll meet frihosters sooner or later.
We should create the official frihosters army and take over the world mwhahaha!
ninjakannon
sabe wrote:
Is the next step to get a frihost dating service????

Heh, good one! Made me chuckle. Laughing

divinitywolf wrote:
I've met a fellow frihoster. Its ninjakannon!
I'm friends with him in real life anyway. Have been before i even went on frihost.

Yeah.. That's right, I introduced divinitywolf here to FriHost. I'm not sure it's wise to admit that after the latter half of his message there but oh well. Razz
missdixy
Wow! that is crazy.
A few weeks ago I got a message here on FriHost from someone who graduated with my brother who told me she knew who I was and I was all excited that not only was there someone on here from the same hometown as mine, but she KNEW ME.

I replied, but she hasn't replied since. I don't think she's very active at all. Sadness.
skygaia
Wow.. it's really small world. On-line community has changed to Off-line one. Laughing
apple
ohhh...cool story...

I met someone from another site in a similar way...I was walking past the PC's and noticed a familiar page...so I walked over to the guy and asked if he was a member (of the community) he said yes and we had a nice chat.

tidruG....your avatar is indeed nice for a tshirt...

oh question...if I make a frihost t-shirt for myself is that ok?
Bondings
apple wrote:

Definitely allowed. Encouraged to be precise. And don't forget to post a picture of you wearing it. Very Happy
SpellcasterDX
Haha that's awesome. It really is a small world. It'd be kind of neat to meet another frihoster in real life and be able to know them and talk to them in real life. Not likely to happen though, considering the boring city where I live.
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
apple wrote:

Definitely allowed. Encouraged to be precise. And don't forget to post a picture of you wearing it. Very Happy

Bondings you should make an official frihost t-shirt. Have like a frihost shopping area for frihost merchendise. I would buy a t-shirt.
SpellcasterDX
^That's a good idea. It'd be another way to bring in more money, and it's also good advertising. Bondings should really consider that idea.
friuser
Actually if there is a mod or addon to the forum that allows you to specify zip code. you can look at your profile or whatever and see who is close to you. That would really increase the chances of meeting fellow frihosters.
Chelissamow
Woah, what a coincidence!

Haha, just imagine how many people you've seen whom you've met online.
MYP415
It is really crazy when things like that happen, it just shows you how interconnected everything is
ninjakannon
friuser wrote:
Actually if there is a mod or addon to the forum that allows you to specify zip code. you can look at your profile or whatever and see who is close to you. That would really increase the chances of meeting fellow frihosters.

But do you really want 'fellow FriHosters' to know your whereabouts? After all, these people are in reality complete strangers to you. I'm afraid some might use a feature like that to ill causes - I'm not pointing a finger at anyone here on FriHost but more at those who may join as a result of that, prowling around for you.

But it's not a common thing and is very unlikely to happen - I don't expect FriHost to gain any additions so unrelated to current the current content. However, the aforementioned points shouldn't stop such an addition; for letting something so unlikely ruin something with great potential isn't right. I think.

Anyway... let's not debate this - it's not a nice subject. Wink

Also, I'm sure my writing style jumped around a few times throughout the course of writing this; odd, ey?
m-productions
It may be time to dumped these threads

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-74792.html&highlight=map
and

http://map.scott.frih.net/
reddishblue
@m-productions
Those threads are limited to giving the city you live in, which is no where near enough info to find a careful Frihoster, and hence, the threads are perfectly OK.
Especially mine, which is very OK, like all the threads I start. Surprised

That's pretty awesome, finding a person you didn't invite to be a Frihost member, I wish I could have luck like that, and I believe there is a thread in suggestions for a Frihost T-shirt, I'll just go look for it... http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-71703.html and http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-36513.html and if you guys hold true, and buy the stuff, then it could be quite a good asset for Frihost.

It would be even cooler if there was a place on the gear to write your username, or a velcro part where you can put custom made tags, I don't know if it's possible for Bondings to abtain a way to make a product where every single one is different in that the username is not the same, but if he could, that would be great.

Reddish
darvit
Wow, that's amazing! Very Happy I've never met anyone from the internet ever, though I think it would be pretty cool to have a Frihost encounter. Razz

There is one Frihoster who lives in the same city as I do. Very Happy It's such a small and boring town, I bet we've encountered each other and may have not known it! [And I don't have a Liv Tyler/Sanity Is Relative t-shirt, either. A Frihost shirt would be amazing. I'd buy one and proudly wear it. Very Happy]

As for the get-togethers, it usually doesn't happen--not in international, posting for hosting communities like these. I understand how comic book fans do it--they attend these conventions and really are fanatic enough to spend loads of cash on those trips. Not on Frihost where people are getting free hosting. Wink
m-productions
reddishblue wrote:
@m-productions
Those threads are limited to giving the city you live in, which is no where near enough info to find a careful Frihoster, and hence, the threads are perfectly OK.

[/color][/i][/b]

I know that.. which is why i posted it... i thought people would like to see those.
saratdear
Well, that is definitely interesting! I have never met any Frihost user before. I think it must be weird to talk face to face after chatting in an Internet forum, right?

Anyone out there in Kerala, India coming to meet me?
ninjakannon
saratdear wrote:
I think it must be weird to talk face to face after chatting in an Internet forum, right?

Yeah, it does seem a little strange at first. But after that it's okay - what I find odd is that I felt like I knew them slightly more than I would if they had just been a stranger.

All this talk about FriHost t-shirts made me wonder, would I wear one? Well... personally, I wouldn't want one that explicitly said 'FRIHOST' on it or had any links to the site. However, if there were t-shirts with cool designs that looked good and had no visible link to the site itself then I would buy. But they would have to be good. It would open up loads of possibilities too, there could be competitions to design the next t-shirt or whatever - I've seen this on other websites. I don't expect many would get the merchandise though.

I looked through those threads reddish linked to and found this:
Bondings wrote:
This is something I will most likely be implementing one day, but most likely not in the soon future.

Bondings wasn't against the idea of FriHost merchandise. But I think he would prefer this site to have more users before he got around to doing this, after all more users equals more profit. Wink
saratdear
ninjakannon wrote:
Bondings wasn't against the idea of FriHost merchandise. But I think he would prefer this site to have more users before he got around to doing this, after all more users equals more profit. Wink

But he could use sites like Cafepress, right? From what I know, they don't charge anything for opening a store, and you do get a cut of the profits of selling your merchandise!
ninjakannon
saratdear wrote:
But he could use sites like Cafepress, right? From what I know, they don't charge anything for opening a store, and you do get a cut of the profits of selling your merchandise!

Yes, I found this quote on Cafepress:

Cafepress.com wrote:
At CafePress.com, you can create and sell a variety of customizable products with zero upfront costs and zero inventory investment.

I hadn't heard about this website before you mentioned it but it does look like a plausible route for FriHost to take - I mean, if there's no chance of any loss in money then why not?
apple
Bondings wrote:
apple wrote:

Whoooo....great...I'll see what I can come up with today and make me a tshirt! Yes!

oh, thanks Smile
frozenhead
Lol. That's really interesting, maybe I'll be more observant around next might that I'll meet a FriHoster out there too. The merchandising idea is a good one too, I think I'll just wait for the feedbacks of the ones that can really materialize that matter. Very Happy
ankitdatashn
lol I agree this is surely a small world, though I hope that it wasn't me cause I print many images on my shirts at home with the help of t'shirt transfer papers.

Hope that you recognize me too when you pass by me!! *chukle*
Prophepsyco
wow thats pretty cool. people in my school though dont worry about computers. theyre too busy doing drugs. new generations are getting worse and worse.