FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SpiralFrog.com has now launched and out of beta! Free Music!

ZeroXD
I'm not sure if the majority of you all have heard of it before and I only saw a couple posts on it in the forums (albiet pretty old ones), but www.spiralfrog.com has finally launched and out of beta.

They offer completely free music that you can download from their site. They don't have a huge collection of songs yet, but they have a fairly decent selection so far and they are hoping to expand it a lot in the coming months.

Now I've seen free music sites before and they have generally had pretty cruddy music, like majority of stuff i never heard before, but spiralfrogs different. This music is paid for by advertising they have on the site, and it's not really even that bad. I only noticed a regular banner near thr top of the page and a square sized ad on the right side.

Now there are a few drawbacks so far;
1) The music supposedly only works for 30 days if you do not visit their site regularly. Meaning you will have to visit the site at least once a month to keep your songs playable.
2) The tracks are protected wma files that are supposedly unable to be burnt to CDs. (i haven't tried personally)
3) The music is not compatible with IPODs (i also have not tried to load any to my ipod yet)
4) Seems that most albums they have listed have 1 or more tracks missing.
5) And lastly, it seems since it's new there's a large influx of users and the server isn't completely stable.

Hope you guys like it and i hope it lasts, it seems pretty cool so far.
newso
Is it still just for USA and Canada members, or can i actually use it in the UK now. Also are the tracks like got advertisments in them. Or is the website just ad based.

Sounds too good to be true to me.
catscratches
ZeroXD wrote:
Now there are a few drawbacks so far;
1) The music supposedly only works for 30 days if you do not visit their site regularly. Meaning you will have to visit the site at least once a month to keep your songs playable.
2) The tracks are protected wma files that are supposedly unable to be burnt to CDs. (i haven't tried personally)
3) The music is not compatible with IPODs (i also have not tried to load any to my ipod yet)

Extremely easy to fix Wink (in a way that propably is illegal though, so you'll have to check if it is first).
ZeroXD
Although I'm aware of the ability of how to bypass it, I rather not discuss how to do it, because it's probably against their TOS and it will only help lead to their early demise and I don't want that, so for the remainder of discussion of this thread, please refrain from discussing how to do it in this thread.

As for being available to Canada and North America, I wasn't paying any attention to that and I'm not quite sure. The only location identifying data required is your zip code.

And the advertisements are only located on the website itself, the audio tracks are free of any advertising.
silverdown
Sounds so good however someone out there most likely will use it as an advantage and ruin it for everyone. So payable memberships are just around the corner. Rolling Eyes
froginabox
The thing I highly dislike about SpiralFrog is that there is NO support for Apple or Linux computers - you must be able to use the Windows DRM to hear the music.

I do however think it is a REALLY good concept, and I hope it works well enough that they come up with Mac and Linux compatible versions!
ZeroXD
froginabox wrote:
The thing I highly dislike about SpiralFrog is that there is NO support for Apple or Linux computers - you must be able to use the Windows DRM to hear the music.

I do however think it is a REALLY good concept, and I hope it works well enough that they come up with Mac and Linux compatible versions!

i was actually thinking the same exact thing about the whole not working with ipods and such. Since ipod is clearly the most popular mp3 player ont he market, i don't understand how they could ignore that fact and not find a way to address the issue.

Hoping the idea doesn't die early, I would like to see how they address the large market they are currently neglecting.
froginabox
Oh, not even the iPod thing, you cannot use the SpiralFrog service on an Apple computer either.

I personally COULD, as I run Windows XP with virtual machine software (Parallels), but it would be a pain.