FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FreeBSD's packet filter and pfsense

infobankr
There was another post recently started by someone who simply cut and paste someone else's text, so rather than respond to that, I'm starting a new thread about FreeBSD!

One thing I've noticed about FreeBSD is that a lot of it is designed around the computer, rather than the user. That's both good and bad depending on the context, but in regards to the fact that most computers, or servers specifically, are networked, it is a great thing.

FreeBSD's TCP/IP stack is phenomenal. In FreeBSD 6, the "PF" packet filter was ported from OpenBSD, and I like it a lot. I learned about pf through the pfsense project, which if you're not familiar with it, definitely check it out. m0n0wall was based on a previous version of FreeBSD and uses ipf, which is good, but doesn't compare with pf in my opinion. For me, the fact that pf can do sticky load balancing is really awesome.

PF is just one reason why I really like FreeBSD.

One of the reasons I don't like FreeBSD is that wake-on-lan doesn't work. Its being worked on, but it doesn't work now. I'm too energy conscious to not care about that.

If you are at all interested in FreeBSD, I highly recommend reading the handbook, it is of amazing quality.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/