FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Why a vegetarian diet is healthier than eating meat






Is being vegetarian beneficial?
Yes
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
I disagree, no
37%
 37%  [ 11 ]
I am unsure
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

Lobo23
K.
There are hundreds of facts out there that go against eating meat. You can clog your arteries, be overweight, get cancer, I don't even want to get started because my fingers will probably fall off from typing too much D;

Point is: Being vegetarian is healthy, so why the hell aren't you a vegetarian? It helps animals and helps you live healthier, if not longer. I lost 25lbs from being vegetarian, it's great.

And btw, the "Lack of protein" factor is a myth. As long as you eat the necessary calories from a meal of anything that is live, or was alive, it has proteins in it. All nuts and veggies have proteins.


So... The pros of being vegetarian are: You live healthier and most likely longer, you help suffering animals (the average vegetarian saves over 100 animals a year), and you get to eat tasty fake meat products. FAKE CHICKEN HAS TO BE ONE OF THE BEST THINGS I'VE EVER EATEN! Surprised Very Happy

The cons are: you don't get to eat meat... and... if you're suicidal, you don't get to die at the age of 40-60, sorry. Sad

For all the "People For Eating Tasty Animals" people, please argue with my points. Tell me every single argument that you have, so I have an idea of what to say to people who tell me I'm an idiot carrot-lover for not eating meat. Well, I don't like carrots that much... so Razz

PETA says "The queen of England might be above her subjects, but that doesn't mean she eats them." for all the people about to post "well, humans worked their way tot he top of the food chain"... though, I doubt you could kill a bull if you were naked like the bull. Confused


For every vegetarian user on frih; yeah it's time for a high five Smile
Bondings
Vegetarians are usually more concerned about their health than other people (healthier food, no smoking, no overweight, ...). It's not really the meat that is the problem, it's rather eating unhealthy. Although eating a lot of meat, especially the fat/unhealthy (aka McDonald's) ones is indeed unhealthy. Studies don't show a longer lifetime for vegetarians, rather the opposite if taking in effect similar situations. (the same lifestyle apart from eating no meat)

About the "lack of proteins", this is partly true actually. Not all proteins are the same. There is stuff that you find almost only in meat. Of course you can eat those as a supplement and adjust your diet, but quite a few vegetarians don't do this, or not enough. This is especially true if you don't eat eggs and milk. If you start doing that as a healthy adult, there is usually not much of a problem, but for small children and if you are pregnant this can have extremely serious consequences, including death. (there are quite a few babies that die due to their mother's strict diet during the pregnancy and a multitude of that with health problems for the rest of their live)

Of course eating no meat (and no sugar/fat) is a good way to lose weight, and since overweight is very unhealthy, this causes you to be healthier. But you can also do this while keeping to eat some meat - although not a hamburger in McDonald's.

Quite a few of the cancer studies are debunked by now and I guess most of them will follow.

Also, a lot of the replacements for meat are themselves unhealthy or causing unwanted consequences. Soy has a lot of bad effects, including decreased fertility (for men).

http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtvegetarianism.html
heartbeat
I'm vegan and I hate fake meat It's for the people Who are obliged to be vegetarian but still like meat.
Be vegetarian you will be happier stink less, be healthier, go less to the dentist, have less headaches, wake up easiear, have less colds, get more girls, get more boys, etc!

SECOND! THE WORLDS FIRST CAUSE FOR POLUTION, THE BIGGEST POLLUTION SOURCE IS THE ANIMAL FOOD INDUSTRY! AINTIBIOTICS GO IN tHE HUGE AMOUNTS OF FECES AND URINE, THAT POLUTE RIVERS, THE TRANSPORT, THE REFRIGERATION, THE WRAPINGS! IMAGINE THE WORLD WITHOUT POLLuTION! AND THEN GO VEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

think about your kids or other people children! wake up, dont be a waste , dont be a corpse cemitery, dont eat dead animals!

An example : an hectar of land is used to feast the cows. then you eat the cows. If you plant vegetarian food in that hectar you can feed 10 times more people than with the meat of the cows!

WAKE UP THE WORLD NEEDS YOU!! I NEED YOU ; YOU NEED ME! THE CHILDREN NEED US! WE NEED THEM! IT S TIME TO CHANGE! THE TIME IS SHORT! DO IT TODAY! DONT WASTE MORE TIME! GO ON AND USE TIME TO CHANGE THE WORLD NOT TO LET IT DIE!
coeus
What? No more turkey on thanksgiving? MAY IT NEVER BE!
Lobo23
heartbeat wrote:
I'm vegan and I hate fake meat It's for the people Who are obliged to be vegetarian but still like meat.
Be vegetarian you will be happier stink less, be healthier, go less to the dentist, have less headaches, wake up easiear, have less colds, get more girls, get more boys, etc!

SECOND! THE WORLDS FIRST CAUSE FOR POLUTION, THE BIGGEST POLLUTION SOURCE IS THE ANIMAL FOOD INDUSTRY! AINTIBIOTICS GO IN tHE HUGE AMOUNTS OF FECES AND URINE, THAT POLUTE RIVERS, THE TRANSPORT, THE REFRIGERATION, THE WRAPINGS! IMAGINE THE WORLD WITHOUT POLLuTION! AND THEN GO VEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

think about your kids or other people children! wake up, dont be a waste , dont be a corpse cemitery, dont eat dead animals!

An example : an hectar of land is used to feast the cows. then you eat the cows. If you plant vegetarian food in that hectar you can feed 10 times more people than with the meat of the cows!

WAKE UP THE WORLD NEEDS YOU!! I NEED YOU ; YOU NEED ME! THE CHILDREN NEED US! WE NEED THEM! IT S TIME TO CHANGE! THE TIME IS SHORT! DO IT TODAY! DONT WASTE MORE TIME! GO ON AND USE TIME TO CHANGE THE WORLD NOT TO LET IT DIE!


>High fived< Cool lawlz.

Seriously though, I agree.
Lobo23
Bondings wrote:
Vegetarians are usually more concerned about their health than other people (healthier food, no smoking, no overweight, ...). It's not really the meat that is the problem, it's rather eating unhealthy. Although eating a lot of meat, especially the fat/unhealthy (aka McDonald's) ones is indeed unhealthy. Studies don't show a longer lifetime for vegetarians, rather the opposite if taking in effect similar situations. (the same lifestyle apart from eating no meat)

About the "lack of proteins", this is partly true actually. Not all proteins are the same. There is stuff that you find almost only in meat. Of course you can eat those as a supplement and adjust your diet, but quite a few vegetarians don't do this, or not enough. This is especially true if you don't eat eggs and milk. If you start doing that as a healthy adult, there is usually not much of a problem, but for small children and if you are pregnant this can have extremely serious consequences, including death. (there are quite a few babies that die due to their mother's strict diet during the pregnancy and a multitude of that with health problems for the rest of their live)

Of course eating no meat (and no sugar/fat) is a good way to lose weight, and since overweight is very unhealthy, this causes you to be healthier. But you can also do this while keeping to eat some meat - although not a hamburger in McDonald's.

Quite a few of the cancer studies are debunked by now and I guess most of them will follow.

Also, a lot of the replacements for meat are themselves unhealthy or causing unwanted consequences. Soy has a lot of bad effects, including decreased fertility (for men).

http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtvegetarianism.html


Surprised
I'll have to look into vegetarian vitamin supplements that aren't made from gelatin.
And set time aside to read the mythstruths thing.

Thanks for your post.
Lobo23
coeus wrote:
What? No more turkey on thanksgiving? MAY IT NEVER BE!

You get turkey. Soy Turkey Very Happy
DorFalla
heartbeat wrote:
I'm vegan and I hate fake meat It's for the people Who are obliged to be vegetarian but still like meat.


Darth finds your generalization disturbing.

And fake meat doesn't even taste like real meat. Smile
Shewolf
Let's see... I totally agree with Bondings.
And here is something else for you to think about:
I live in a country where it's not possible to plant vegetables everywhere, so for people not to die of starvation (or help the clima changes more than necessary) we have to have animals as well. For eating.
And by the way, what makes a carrot less cute, or less alive than a sheep? Or less worthy living it's natural life? Is not life a life, no matter whose it is? And face it, you have to kill to live, that's the way of nature.
coeus
Becoming a vegitarian to try to help the world, while noble, I think is ultimatly inefficient. There are so many other problems with the world, than eating meat. Yes, there are some issues with animal rights, yes there are issues with efficient use of land for food (grow plants to eat vs grow plants to feed future food) however, I think all of that pales in comparrison to other issues with our species and it's use of this planet.

I don't want to bring up specific issues and start a spin-off discussion away from the OP, however I just want to bring up the idea that vegetarianism for the sake of saving our world is so far down the list of things to do to help/fix our planet that our efforts would be better used elsewhere.

Maybe because I love to eat meat I am bias in thinking that somehow eating meat isn't high on the humanitarian, planetary issues list. Thoughts?
furtasacra
Lobo23 wrote:
coeus wrote:
What? No more turkey on thanksgiving? MAY IT NEVER BE!

You get turkey. Soy Turkey Very Happy


Oh, no, no no NO. Tofurkey on Thanksgiving? No WAY! My highly carnivorous guy actually LIKES tofu, but if I tried to feed it to him on Turkey Day, the end result would probably look like a scene from the movie Scanners. And there I'd be, bereaved and alone for the holidays, cleaning his brains off the walls. Yuck!

Okay, back to the original topic. I don't eat a lot of meat, because I don't like greasy food, but I eat it. Small portions, and not every day, but I'm not a vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination. However, I'm healthier than several vegetarians I know, because even though they don't eat meat at all, they still make a lot of really crappy food choices.

I know a woman whose son was born with most of his digestive system on the outside of his body. The doctors had to put his guts in with a funnel. Guess why that happened? She's a malnourished vegetarian. And after all that, she STILL lives on bread, pasta and cheese, and turns her nose up at fresh fruit and vegetables.

Some people just don't have the sense God gave a turnip.
junomica
i'm quit unsure coz both of the are needed by the body... most meat are the great source of protien.. vegetables has also a lot of minerals... it is the way of eating and preparing of the food makes it unhealthy... most people say being a vegetarian is better because vegetables doesn't usually need a lot of oil when preparing... and preparing meats by just steaming them taste awful.. you feel you're not eating a meat... Very Happy Very Happy
outofnicks
It takes a little research to get a diet that includes COMPLETE PROTEINS, which generally can't be found unless you combine two types of foods. A grain and a legume combined form a complete protein that can safely replace what you'd get from meat. Examples would be peanut butter (legume) on wheat bread (grain); beans and rice; and creamed peas on biscuits. Start with those basic combinations and add whatever garnishments desired to make it more interesting.
I've cut down my meat consumption drastically in later years, and use meat mostly for flavor but I see no reason to eliminate it from my diet. A little beef or chicken with a big serving of rice and whatever will do no harm. Organic Valley Farms, a well-known orgainic dairy producer is right in my area and I can get organic cheese direct from the factory outlet at about half the regular retail price. I live in a rural area where it's easy to get farm-fresh eggs, milk, and even meat so I don't have to worry about unhealthy additives. Even so, as lucky as I am location-wise, it takes more effort and planning to eat healthy than just going to the nearest grocery store and picking through their limited selection.
AftershockVibe
There are so many false conclusions in this thread that it makes my head ache.
Remember this:
Correlation does not imply cause.

If it's really not obvious to you why this is, look at the graph I posted in the Talk Like A Pirate Day thread.

If you are vegetarian then your have an obvious predisposition to watch what you are eating and, theoretically this should mean you know that a balanced diet is essential for a healthy body. For example, your lack of meat intake is going to need to be counterbalanced by eating a lot of protein from beans, lentils etc.

Note that I use the word "theoretical" above. You are unlikely to see a fat vegetarian because non-meat foods tend not to contain large amounts of fats. Of course being fat is a good indicator of being unhealthy but it is by no means the only one. There are plenty of ways to be unhealthy and as is probably quite common in vegetarians, lacking in a lot of oils (for example Omega 3) and proteins.

Here's an interesting quote from Wikipedia:
Quote:
A 1999 metastudy[81] compared six major studies from western countries. The study found that the mortality ratio was the lowest in fish eaters (0.82) followed by vegetarians (0.84) and occasional meat eaters (0.84) and which was then followed by regular meat eaters (1.0) and vegan (1.0) [9]. In "Mortality in British vegetarians",[82] it was concluded that "British vegetarians have low mortality compared with the general population. Their death rates are similar to those of comparable non-vegetarians, suggesting that much of this benefit may be attributed to non-dietary lifestyle factors such as a low prevalence of smoking and a generally high socio-economic status, or to aspects of the diet other than the avoidance of meat and fish."
amicalindia
Vegeterian people are more intelligent, more handsome, healthier than the carnivorous human. they also happen to be more rich and powerful and veg. diet gives them incredible power of seduction.
amicalindia
amicalindia wrote:
Vegeterian people are more intelligent, more handsome, healthier than the carnivorous human. they also happen to be more rich and powerful and veg. diet gives them incredible power of seduction.


Please everyone note (especially girls) that I am not a vegetarian and I don't have any of the above qualities.
mawfia
I have been a vegetarian since january. I have been testing it out with my more aggressive workout routine. I am in no way shape or fashion an animal sympathizer, it is stritctly to experiment with body building. I tried it for two years in college and decided to go back beginning of this year. I would say it simplifies my life a bit in how I cook meals. As far as protein goes I have experienced very little weight loss. I have become a little leaner however and I am trying to combat that with a protein supplement that I started taking a month ago.

As for the comment about about people that eat imitation meat. I definitely do not agree, since most meat replacements are made out of soy and guess what...its almost pure protein. More protein than you will get in most other vegetables.
furtasacra
Did no one read what I wrote earlier? Or was is simply dismissed because I don't like the idea of tofurkey for Thanksgiving?

The woman I was talking about was an inlaw, and the child with his guts hanging out was my nephew, people.
Aures
Strict vegeterianism is factually deficient in Vit-B12- relative deficiencies accord with relative veggie diets. That's enough justification for my negative vote, imo.

EDIT:
For the religious vegetarians; God created us with a digestive system capable of ingesting meat for a reason.
For the evolutionist veggies; we developed a complex system capable of ingesting meat, we must have developed a dependency on it along during the evolutionary process.
patasarriba
Aures wrote:
For the evolutionist veggies; we developed a complex system capable of ingesting meat, we must have developed a dependency on it along during the evolutionary process.


The fact that we evolved an ability does not mean we evolved a dependence. Human beings have the ability to burp entire words; that does not mean we need to burp entire words. We let our appendix go to waste; if we don't use our meat-digesting system, that's no crime against evolution.

And though we did develop "a complex system capable of ingesting meat," the meat that you refer to was all wild game. Not chickens pumped full of antibiotics, not fish full of mercury, not bovine growth hormone.

But bovine growth hormone does lead to one last point: The human digestive system was not originally equipped to ingest dairy -- that change only came in the last couple thousand years, and in some places it still hasn't come at all. The same goes for wheat and all other domesticated grains: Ever heard of celiac? If we humans, in a very short amount of time, have been able to digest new things, it does not follow that we cannot stop digesting old things, especially if it is in our best interests.
heartbeat
"Strict vegeterianism is factually deficient in Vit-B12- relative deficiencies accord with relative veggie diets. That's enough justification for my negative vote, imo."


that's not true. That are a lot of veggie products that have a considerable amount of B12. Algae, Tempeh (fermented soya beans), Soya Kefir and so on. In fact, all fermented soya is better for our health than non fermented soya.

Other point is that the amount of B12 that our body needs is so small that I really don't know why people try to make this fact something with such a big importance. I think is just a way that society arranged to, by the means of fear, don't let people choose with conscience. B12 it's important, obviously, but the products that I mentioned before have it in enough quantity.

The truth is that we really need do deconstruct all the information that comes from the outside and industry has a great power in media. So I really don't trust what tv, magazines (unless they are scientific) and even doctors say. These are the same doctors that would have no problem in prescript you a vitamin complex, that some farmaceutical company has to sell, without first seeing the availability of the pacients to change their food habits and prescript them instead, oranges, algaes, spinach, and so on.

Think of that!

Why pay for a suplement that comes in packages, that have processes to be obtained wich are very dificult, wich contributes a lot to polution of our environment, if we could just go to the farm, or even the supermarket and eat it directly from the food?
And please! CHOOSE ORGANIC!
Somebody was saying in this topic that we eat because we have a digestive system that we developed in the evolutionary process but people prefer many times to evolute not for vegetarian but instead to pill dependant. I tell you: for me that sounds creepy and wierd. Pill don't come from nature, don't grow on trees or come out of land. Just weird that we prefer to choose that to a healthier and natural way of feeding.
heartbeat
first they said veggies lacked in protein, now its in B12 and when we have dismistified this once again what will be next? Don't eat whats put in front of you in the plate as in the mind!
patasarriba
heartbeat wrote:
first they said veggies lacked in protein, now its in B12 and when we have dismistified this once again what will be next?


When I was a teenager my doctors insisted that I couldn't possibly be getting enough iron, so they tested me for iron once or twice a year. And they NEVER found any problems with my iron levels at all, much less an actual deficiency. They always think they're something a vegetarian diet is lacking, but vegetarians need to follow the same simple rule as meat eaters: Think about what you eat and just don't be an idiot, and you won't get yourself in trouble.
imera
Those that chose to be vegetarians can do that, and those that decide to eat meat can do that. The only thing I hate is that the vegetarian’s looks at the meat eaters like freaks, and the same with the other ones.

I rarely eat meat; I like vegetables, and especially fruit, so I have no problem in not eating meat even if I do enjoy a good casserole with meat in it. But I never eat out in fast food chains, if I do eat there it's mostly at 'Big Bite' they make just great baguettes, I like the vegetarian type and the ham type.
Aures
Aures wrote:
Strict vegeterianism is factually deficient in Vit-B12- relative deficiencies accord with relative veggie diets. That's enough justification for my negative vote, imo.


heartbeat wrote:
that's not true. That are a lot of veggie products that have a considerable amount of B12. Algae, Tempeh (fermented soya beans), Soya Kefir and so on. In fact, all fermented soya is better for our health than non fermented soya.

Other point is that the amount of B12 that our body needs is so small that I really don't know why people try to make this fact something with such a big importance. I think is just a way that society arranged to, by the means of fear, don't let people choose with conscience. B12 it's important, obviously, but the products that I mentioned before have it in enough quantity.


If the amounts of B12 in vegan food was sufficient enough to be preventive of nutritional deficiencies, there wouldn't be a need for fortified food or regular vitaminic supplementation. Which isn't the case.

Also, if you could link to a source supporting your statement, "the products that I mentioned before have it in enough quantity"?
Arnie
Quote:
The pros of being vegetarian are: You live healthier and most likely longer
Post hoc ergo propter hoc?
Quote:
As long as you eat the necessary calories from a meal of anything that is live, or was alive, it has proteins in it.
All proteins are the same?
heartbeat
Aures wrote:
Aures wrote:
Strict vegeterianism is factually deficient in Vit-B12- relative deficiencies accord with relative veggie diets. That's enough justification for my negative vote, imo.


heartbeat wrote:
that's not true. That are a lot of veggie products that have a considerable amount of B12. Algae, Tempeh (fermented soya beans), Soya Kefir and so on. In fact, all fermented soya is better for our health than non fermented soya.

Other point is that the amount of B12 that our body needs is so small that I really don't know why people try to make this fact something with such a big importance. I think is just a way that society arranged to, by the means of fear, don't let people choose with conscience. B12 it's important, obviously, but the products that I mentioned before have it in enough quantity.


If the amounts of B12 in vegan food was sufficient enough to be preventive of nutritional deficiencies, there wouldn't be a need for fortified food or regular vitaminic supplementation. Which isn't the case.

Also, if you could link to a source supporting your statement, "the products that I mentioned before have it in enough quantity"?



My statement is based in books not in internet speculations, also you could go to a library and search vegetarian food books, many have the quantity values for each nutrient for each type of food. YOu are the one that should support somehow the statement that the fortified food is necessary to have a healthy vegetarian diet. I am vegan for 8 years... the oldest person on earth was a woman that died with 122 years old, she was vegetarian Wink I have recently made blood analisys and the values are perfect. I should advise you to not fall in easy arguments, there is fortified food but it's not necessary for vegetarians, the industry just took advantage of that stupid myth... also there may be some people that need to intake higher doses of a certain nutrient at a certain time to compensate for a bad diet and that can happen both to vegetarians and carnivores. the alghaes Spirulina and Chlorela have more B12 than any animal, think about it and when you feel the urge to spread another myth have a deep breath and think of the harm you may be causing by just typing irresponsible and unfunded myths behind your computer.


ARnie : ALL PROTEINS ARE THE SAME: An Animal protein is made up of a complex of FOUR vegetal Proteins.
Ex: A vegetarian eats vegetals, the digestive system picks four vegtetal proteins and syntethises an animal protein (an human protein).
The carnivore on the other site, eats animal proteins, the digestive system has to spend energy breaking up the complex animal proteins (that were previously built from 4 vegetal proteins by the animal) and then synthetise an animal protein once again.

The vegetarians only sums up 4 vegetal proteins to make an human protein.

the carnivore has to break an animal protein first in order to make an human protein.

the vegetarian spends much less energy on the digestion than the carnivore because doesn't need to break complex molecules.
Thats why when carnivores eat a lot they cant move and feel sleepy because the body energy and blood is gathered the most on the digestive system.

The vegetarian digestion energy math is much more positive it doesn't spend a quarter of the energy the carnivore spent .

thats why some people that try vegetarianism say after eating, " I feel Light"
after a little time of vegetarian diet you will not feel so light because the body gets used to it and you get the same "big belly " sensation but it will never leave you sleepy and you will always feel with energy to run if you need Wink Maybe to run away from carnivores Wink
heartbeat
ARNIE: It is mainly true that you live longer and live younger but there are many factors like exercise, pollution, quality of the water, mindset, etc Wink
Arnie
heartbeat wrote:
ARnie : ALL PROTEINS ARE THE SAME: An Animal protein is made up of a complex of FOUR vegetal Proteins.
Ex: A vegetarian eats vegetals, the digestive system picks four vegtetal proteins and syntethises an animal protein (an human protein).
The carnivore on the other site, eats animal proteins, the digestive system has to spend energy breaking up the complex animal proteins (that were previously built from 4 vegetal proteins by the animal) and then synthetise an animal protein once again.
Funny how my very recent university textbooks Biochemistry 6th Edition (Stryer et al.) and MBoC4 (Alberts et al.) don't mention anything on that. I'm wondering on what authority you're making the statement quoted above...

In fact, Stryer pages 419 and 650 seem to directly contradict your statement. Proteins are digested into the amino acids they're composed of - occasionally into di- or tripeptides. That means all proteins in your food are completely split, and their amino acids used for synthesis of new proteins native to the organism. That's also obvious since orthologs (proteins with the same function but from different species) have different chemical structures.

Protein synthesis is a very tightly regulated pathway. It involves DNA transcription, RNA translation by ribosomes (which connect one amino acid at a time!), folding of the protein protected by chaperones, modifications in the Golgi and ER... you can't just put 4 proteins together and get a new one.

Oh, and by the way, there are 20 basic amino acids used for protein synthesis, some of which our cells can make themselves, and others need to be in our food.
urbanbuddha
Sorry, but I just like the taste of meat. I've tried going vegetarian for a month and it killed me (although I do love some vegetarian dishes once in a while). Sorry if it grosses you out or anything, but I really just like the taste of meat. ♥ I do agree that being a vegetarian is healthier. However, concerning health, it's all about moderation and exercise if you choose to be a meat eater. Moreover, environmental issues concerning the processing of meat and such will not go away without the help of governmental regulation, regardless of how many people become vegans.
supernova1987a
Quote:

What are the health benefits of a vegetarian diet?

Vegetarian diets are lower in saturated fats, cholesterol, and animal protein. They’re also high in folate, anti-oxidant vitamins like C and E, carotenoids, and phytochemicals. Overall, vegetarians have substantially reduced risks for obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus, osteoporosis, and some forms of cancer - particularly lung cancer and colon cancer. Vegetarian diets that are low in saturated fats have been successfully used to reverse severe coronary artery disease



Is it possible to get enough protein on a vegetarian diet?


Absolutely, it’s actually difficult to become protein deficient unless you quit eating all together. Just about all unrefined foods contain significant amounts of protein. Potatoes are 11% protein, oranges 8%, beans 26%, and tofu 34%. In fact, people have been known to grow at astounding rates (doubling their body size in only six months) on a diet of only 5% protein. These people are infants and they do it during the first 6 months of life, fueled by breast milk, which contains just 5% protein.

Aren’t vegetarians frail and weak?

No, that one is a myth. Former champion bodybuilder, Bill Pearl is a vegetarian. So is the legendary 6'8, 320 pound wrestler, Killer Kowalski; fitness guru, Jack LaLanne; Olympic gold medalist, Edwin Moses; and 6-time Ironman Triathlon winner, Dave Scott, just to name a few. Burly vegetarians from the animal kingdom include bulls, elephants, rhinos, and gorillas. Try telling one of those guys that you can’t get big and strong eating your leaves and twigs!

What do the experts say?

The American Dietetic Association says that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, are nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.

How does vegetarianism impact the environment?

Throughout the world, forests are being destroyed to support the meat-eating habits of the "developed" nations. Between 1960 and 1985, nearly 40 percent of all Central American rain forests were destroyed to create pasture for beef cattle. More than four million acres of cropland are lost to erosion in the United States every year. Of this staggering topsoil loss, 85 percent is directly associated with livestock raising, i.e., over-grazing. Much of the excrement from "food" animals (which amounts to 20 times as much fecal matter as human waste) flows unfiltered into our lakes and streams. (4)

8. What does vegetarianism have to do with world hunger?

Raising animals for food is an extremely inefficient way to feed a growing human population. The U.S. livestock population consumes enough grain and soybeans to feed more than five times the entire U.S. population. One acre of pasture produces an average of 165 pounds of beef; the same acre can produce 20,000 pounds of potatoes. If Americans reduced their meat consumption by only 10 percent, it would free 12 million tons of grain annually for human consumption. That alone would be enough to adequately feed each of the 60 million people who starve to death each year.


Okay, please read the quote above.
They come from a FAQ on Vegetarian Diet.
http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/nutrition/vegetarian.htm

In fact, the best diet is the Vegetarian Diet. And it also happens to solve the climate crisis going on because of Global Warming. You save 1.5 tons of greenhouse gas emission per year if you become a vegetarian. And thats per person. Think!

[Check Al Gore's Website: http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/whatyoucando/index4.html ]
HamsterMan
Well, humans are omnivores and we still need fats to be healthy. And just because vegetarians don't eat meat doesn't mean that they aren't eating a lot of other relatively more unhealthy foods like cakes and other sugary stuff.

But on the other hand considering the amount of hormones and other harmful stuff they give the animals I don't suppose they're missing that much either.
thadnation
most people choose to become vegetarians for health reasons or because of how animals are treated. they are generally healthier because fresh fruits and veggies, or fruits and veggies period, contain far less additives than meat. If any. They aren't consuming hormones, so they won't develop health problems as often, they won't be eating trace hormones or steroids, so obesity and heart problems are less common. Kosher beef is pure, clean, and healthy. however, most people won't visit a whole foods store to purchase such products because these stores are fewer, thus less convenient. plus, cows grow slower and tastier when healthy, so it's more costly to produce.
supernova1987a
thadnation wrote:
Kosher beef is pure, clean, and healthy. however, most people won't visit a whole foods store to purchase such products because these stores are fewer, thus less convenient. plus, cows grow slower and tastier when healthy, so it's more costly to produce.


You offend me if you eat cow in front of me, Click why
peaceupnorth
urbanbuddha wrote:
Sorry, but I just like the taste of meat. I've tried going vegetarian for a month and it killed me (although I do love some vegetarian dishes once in a while). Sorry if it grosses you out or anything, but I really just like the taste of meat.

I appreciate that you like the taste of meat, but let me ask you: do you think people have a right to harm and kill other creatures? Ok maybe some people need to kill to survive (hunter-gatherers etc) but if you just like the taste of their flesh? We may be superior to animals in terms of intelligence and craftiness, but does that give us the right to do whatever we want to them?

If yes, wouldn't the same reasoning be applied to members of our own species? I am bigger and stronger and smarter than some people, does that mean I have the right to take whatever I want from them?

urbanbuddha wrote:
Moreover, environmental issues concerning the processing of meat and such will not go away without the help of governmental regulation, regardless of how many people become vegans.

Well if lots of people become vegan, governments will change, because you will have more vegans in decision-making positions. If people go on consuming ridiculous amounts of animal foods, things will keep getting worse.

Actually, China and India are beginning to eat a lot more meat (to imitate the gringos and europeans) and thus are getting into factory farming. This is scaring a lot of people, because of a simple formula:
lots of diseased poo poo + very dense population + lax or non-existant environmental standards = much death and suffering.
So what you do IS affecting the whole world, friend. We're all setting examples... and cutting out meat (partially or completely) means living lighter on the earth, can anyone argue that?

I don't want to sound like I'm judging you, by the way. You are just doing what you think is right. I am too. I'm just asking these questions so you can see a different perspective. I ate meat the majority of my life, I liked the taste too. But it's not always about what we like or don't like doing, you know?
HamsterMan
peaceupnorth wrote:
do you think people have a right to harm and kill other creatures? Ok maybe some people need to kill to survive (hunter-gatherers etc) but if you just like the taste of their flesh? We may be superior to animals in terms of intelligence and craftiness, but does that give us the right to do whatever we want to them?

If yes, wouldn't the same reasoning be applied to members of our own species? I am bigger and stronger and smarter than some people, does that mean I have the right to take whatever I want from them?

There is no universal right or wrong, those are just words that we as a species made up to justify our views and opinions. If the majority of humanity says it's okay to eat animals but not to steal from other humans, well fine. And if you feel that it's in your right to become a serial murderer and kill other people, so be it.

/offtopic
peaceupnorth
HamsterMan wrote:

There is no universal right or wrong ... If the majority of humanity says it's okay to eat animals but not to steal from other humans, well fine. And if you feel that it's in your right to become a serial murderer and kill other people, so be it.
/offtopic


Well this forum had the topic "is veg healthier?", and while I agree with you that there is no universal standard of right and wrong, there are some things that are clearly harmful or healthy to society.

So, taking murder: we have a natural tendency to be attached and care for one another, and so permissiveness towards murder causes a lot of havoc in a society. People seek revenge, and warriors thus tend to be among the most honored, rather than inventors, or peacemakers. This creates a violent, unproductive society. Warring tribalism was the norm in the past, until laws and civilisation (and religions, ironically) were built to keep that in check... although we still have a long way to go yet...

My point is, while there is no universal, engraved moral standard, morals exist for a good reason. Veg diet IS healthier, I say, because it encourages people to not commit violent acts. It's quite a double standard to say: ok, these beings deserve respect, but these don't. Why not? We all experience pain similarly, we are all feeling, sensitive creatures...

We are still evolving... why not try to be the best we can be? To a food-animal, we are MONSTERS... to a beloved pet, we are benevolent SAVIOURS... which role would you prefer? As much as I used to find meat tasty, I hate the idea of being a monster, uncaring while some wretched animals suffer immensley so I can please my palate.
Enough said...
perdito
peaceupnorth wrote:

Well this forum had the topic "is veg healthier?",


For some organisms it's healthier, for others it isn't, like everything else)
joostvane
I love meat. It tastes like chicken.

No seriously, I couldn't live without the taste of fries with a nice steak. No vega for me keke Very Happy
Arnie
joostvane wrote:
I love meat. It tastes like chicken.
lolwut?
deanhills
I think one needs to listen to your body and what it tells you. Some people do much better with meat, others much better with no meat. Depends on your physical make-up and if you are in proper tune with it, you may be able to feel what you need. Otherwise there are also naturopaths who specialize in kinesiology, who can test you for food sensitivities. You may or may not be sensitive to meat. Whether physical or mental the kinesiology would be able to read your body's language.
Sabbadon
My wife is vegetarian, I'm not and I'm healthier so I think the matter is not if it's healthier to eat or not to eat meat but how bad people eat.
if you eat 2kg of vegetables to have the same cal of 1/2 steak, the result will be that my wife has 2chils in her stomach and me 200gr Smile
deanhills
Sabbadon wrote:
My wife is vegetarian, I'm not and I'm healthier so I think the matter is not if it's healthier to eat or not to eat meat but how bad people eat.
if you eat 2kg of vegetables to have the same cal of 1/2 steak, the result will be that my wife has 2chils in her stomach and me 200gr Smile
Agreed. In the end it all boils down to nutrition, and there is much more nutrition in the piece of steak than the equivalent nutrition in your average vegetarian diet. It has to be a really good vegetarian diet in order to get the equivalent nutrition, particularly B vitamins like B12.

Problem is that vegetables and legumes have become so mass produced, it is no longer possible to get the nutrition one needs from them. I have been a vegetarian for a few years, and in June of last year decided to add back fish, meat, chicken and eggs with a couple of vegetable days only in a week on a rotation basis and have been thriving on this diet. I have also cut out all cereals and pulses with the occasional toast on holiday maybe and eat mostly vegetables and a very small quantity of fruit. I spend quite a bit of money on the fish, meat, chicken and eggs though, getting organic only from a reputable Organics Food Store with a very large turnover.
Pande
Beans!!!!! You can do so much with beans... I ranted about beans and their awesomeness in another thread and ima do it again. Beans have so much good protein, and you can do curries, chilis, stews, soups (both split and non-split beans or peas) humus (look up some more advanced and interesting recipes... one is not limited to just your basic white bean humus!), etc.

Also, that 'beans make you get gas' thing is definitely true, however it is caused basically by the beans having a flora that is uncommon to most people. The gut throws a hissy fit, but eventually adapts to the new bean flora. You will notice after 2 weeks of eating beans frequently that the gas goes away (along with any gut pains associated with them).

Nothing gives you energy to workout yet doesn't make you fatigued like beans!

Beans and rice also are an excellent combo. Try a curried bean recipe over rice with chutney on the side.
deanhills
I've been a vegetarian for a few years, and in June of last year re-introduced meat, fish and chicken to my diet. I feel like a different person. Could be a fluke, but I have much more energy, feel much more satiated after meals and don't think as much of food as I used to. I'd say vegetarian is not good for every one, it may be healthy for some people, particularly those who have a knack for combining all of the vegetarian foods to provide perfect protein. The protein from meat sources just beats protein from vegetarian in that protein from meat sources is a power house of perfect protein in small quantities in comparison with the loads of vegetables and legumes one would have to eat in a perfect proportion to have the same protein value.
dude_xyx
I'm not a strict vegetarian but I do believe it better. Specially these days where people sit in front of computers rather than do outside work.
ZeytinGrafik
i believe in a balanced diet.
Related topics
mamal meat or fishy flesh?
Vegetarianism
Report claims red meat alters DNA
The Bible and Eating Meat
"Buddha knows all answers!"
Vegetarian Lifestyle
FS 17 September
Torturing animals
The God Dellusion - Richard Dawkins
Why is Vegetarian Diet the best for all....
Its offensive to me if you eat cow
United Nations tells us to eat less meat!!!
A Healthy Diet for Life
A Lesson in Creation-Science
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.