FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mixing WinXP Full & Upgrade

RiCtee
Hi everyone!! Let me explain what I'm trying to do... Well I have a Windows XP Professional full installation CD (it's the original XP without any Service Packs) and I also have a Windows XP Professional SP2 upgrade CD.

Because the upgrade CD checks the hard disk or another XP CD to confirm that I'm eligible to upgrade. I'm just wondering if there is any way to add those two to form a new full installation CD with XP SP2. Just so that I can save the trouble of not having Windows XP already installed. Hopefully this isn't illegal. Very Happy Both of those are the original genuine CDs.
GSIS
http://www.5starsupport.com/xp-faq/1-65.htm

Quote:
you can upgrade XP Home to XP Pro using an "Upgrade Only" version that will cost much less. Upgrading is very simple. Just insert the CD and follow the onscreen instructions. You will not need to reformat your drive and you will not lose any currently installed files.

I found this online but haven't tried it (so don't blame me if it goes all pear-shaped). Rolling Eyes
Jaan
I wouldn't recommend it.

Always have a CD for Windows XP so you can reinstall if it f**ks up on you.
froginabox
You can "slipstream" service packs and update rollups into a Windows installation. One set of instructions is here:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

Basically, you copy the contents of the install CD to your hard drive, combine the Service Pack with the files with some DOS commands, then you burn your new XP SP2 disc. This is COMPLETELY legal, as long as you don't go sharing this disc with your friends. I would also suggest finding another computer to install it on to make sure things integrated properly before you lose all your data to a format and then don't have a working OS.
RiCtee
froginabox wrote:
You can "slipstream" service packs and update rollups into a Windows installation.

I found that too. But in that case you have to have the SP2 which you'll have to download. In my case I have the full XP and the upgrade XP SP2. How do I get the SP2 out of the upgrade CD? I think this is getting too complicated. Shocked
froginabox
Getting the SP2 out of the XP SP2 CD isn't going to happen... I'm almost positive that SP2 installs would overwrite whatever files change from SP1 (sorry for reading what you wanted to do backwards).