FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lost Gems - Games you think sliped under the radar.

m-productions
Lost Gems
As everyone knows, there are thousands of games out there, and its just not possible to play them all. Sadly, this means we all miss out on some amazing games, and games that do get played... half the time dont get the credit they should, due to another game that gets wayyy to much hype. So I would like to make this topic where everyone can share what they believe was an amazing game that most people dont know about. If this topic gets some good games I might turn it into an article and share these games with all... but lets try to keep this a little organized so we dont get a lot of spammers coming in and saying some game IS THE ROXORS..or some dumb thing like that....

Lets try to keep it recent: only give your lost gems of a game for these systems, any older and most people wont be able to play them anyway lol
-psp
-ps1
-ps2
-Gamecube
-Nintendo DS
-GameBoy Advanced
-Xbox
[Leaving out next gen, as all those games are new...so there are no lost gems in those yet]

Exclamation Try to stay away from games that we all know about already. The point is to inform others of games that most of us dont know about, or have not gotten much hype.

Exclamation Try to also give any fan site links or what not with your game so we can all look into the game and see what we think about it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Hotel Dusk: Room 215~~~~~~~~~Nintendo DS~~~~~~
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have played many DS games, but until recently (while watching G4) I had never heard of this game, and even when I did hear about it... I really didnt think much of it, but thank god I was talked into playing this game.... I wont be returning this game. At first, the style seems weird, it has you hold your DS sideways...so the game already has a unique feel to it. The graphics are what really give it a unique feel, they are like an animated char from a comic strip... I really dont know how else to explain it. One screen is a 3d view of the hotel, the other screen is a 2d view of it, which is where you move around, the game is a mystiry style game, you go around, talking to people, solving little puzzles... ect, but the story is rather good, and you most use your brain when snooping around, or else you can get kicked out of the hotel with a rather unqiue game over sequence....

needless to say, I think this game needs more praise... I could not put this game down, kept on playing and playing. If you have a DS, and your lucky enough to find a copy of this, grab it!!!
HomePage: http://www.hoteldusk.com/
McDucque
Hotel Dusk didnt slip under the radar... every game that isn't Pokemon on the DS will slip under the radar. If we're talking awesome DS that nobody really played.

Lost in Blue.

Annoyingly hard but Lost awesome.

PS2....The Shadow Hearts Series. The first one was the best because it was rated M and they did whatever they wanted. The two sequels were toned down for the more mainstream audience.

PS1.... The Persona Series. Again, this is another one of those instances where it wouldnt really be under the radar because there's a popular-ish sequel out now. Persona 3 is bullshit... First off, its not Persona 3, its P3.... not even just P3.... Shin Megami Tensei: P3.... Let's take a kinda popular series, Shin Megami Tensei, and use it to make a game noone remembers seem cooler. I haven't played P3 yet, I want to. It kind of bothers me he shoots himself with a "soul trigger" to summon demons because they dont have the balls to say its a gun.

GameCube.... ChibiRobo AND Killer 7. Two games that weren't getting much attention until they recently announced new titles (Chibirobo on DS, and No More Heroes on Wii) both were amazing in concept and fun to play a bunch of times.

I'll think of more... promise.
Kelcey
Definitely Shadow Hearts Covenant was one. I think many atlus games slipped under as well. Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden 2 were also two titles that people overlooked and now want to play desperately.
McDucque
Its hard for me to pick the best in the Shadow Hearts series.... Definately not the Third one, even though it had a giant cat. The first one had the best set of characters, but it was a big deal for me that the second one had voice acting, and more than 3 FMVs... If the original had the production value of the second, it definately would've been the best.

Plus it was one of the first series, at least from what I noticed to have some gay characters... True, the guy in the first one would pretty much molest, maybe even rape, all your male characters when you went to upgrade their stats, and in Covenant, the Magimel's were just like.....too gay. It was totally awesome when the acupuncturist from the original and one of the magimels ended up together in the third game.

Since this is the lost gem topic...

Xbox-Breakdown... First person game for the original xbox. The story was rediculously cool, and it had one of the best first person hand to hand combat mechanics I've ever had in a game.

PS2-Rocky:Legends... Wicked fun, no frills boxing... if you like rocky, you like the game. If you like fight night, youd like it too, because this game is like 10 times harder... for me at least.
m-productions
Thats a nice list you got there, im going to try trace memory for the DS soon, thats another lost gem for the DS... Anyway, theres noone else out there that has a game most people dont know about? thats hard to believe.
Ghengis
I know it has a cult following, but Elite Beat Agents has been destroying my free time lately, and I don't think it did that well here in the States. The sequel came out in Japan in May, but there's no word on whether we'll see it or not. That game is hell of addicting -- I spend like 20 minutes saying "OK, *this* time I'll stop if I don't make it."
m-productions
Ah, didnt think about this game, I loved the jap version, and have not been able to play the new one, however the English did not do to well due to the songs being kinda lame... (I mean... michale jackson... come on now) but still, that game is a blast to play.

Anyone else have any?
vonboy
I don't know the sales for this game or anything, but i am the only person that i know of who has it. that game is Meteos for the DS. It's a fast-paced puzzle game where you move blocks up and down in a stack, and you try to get 3 in a row vertically or horizontally to shoot a column in the air, but the whole stack probably won't go off of your playing field, so you will likely have to start another reaction in the falling stack to make it shoot even higher. it's sounds complicated, but after a few minutes, you get used to it and it becomes a very strategic sort of game in a way. you can choose from different planets, each with different gravity and other unique rules applied to them. you can pick a planet that more suits your play style, like for me, i will choose a planet that has heavy blocks and little gravity. the stacks will go up and down slowly, so i take my time to form a huge stack to blast off and attack another player with.

sadly, the game came out before Mario Kart, so it has no online multiplayer. if they make a sequel with that, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
m-productions
Meteos is endeed an amazing puzzle game (I got that within the week it came out) me and my friends played vs mode all the time. Its one of the few puzzle games for the DS that stand out, which is why a lot of people do know about it. in fact they came out with a new editon called disney meteos (which i have not tried...) but that is endeed one of the best puzzle games for the DS.
kerryworkman
One of my all time favorite strategy turn based games is one that I think qualifies. It is x-com ufo defense, I played it for the first time on the ps 1 but later found out it was originally a p.c. game that has had a few sequels which I have not played. If you havent played it the basic premis is that alien's are attacking the earth and you are part of an international group set with the task of defending the earth. Gameplay consists of two main parts, the first deals with developing a base, hiring soldiers, researching and manufacturing new technology from the stuff you take from the aliens, and all the things that deal with the development of your team. The second part is the turn based fighting portion of the game, simular to front mission, or final fantasy tactics, but with soldiers and aliens. I love it and reccomend it to anyone who likes stragety games.

Here is a link to a website with more info on it if you are interested: http://www.xcomufo.com/gameinfo.html
driftingfe3s
Hey you forgot the DREAMCAST!!! There were a bunch of games that were great on that system, its a shame it didn't pick up. The system itself was a lost gem. There were a bunch of great games for the dreamcast. In my opinion it had more fun and innovative games than anything else that was out around that time. I played it much more than my PS2. I didn't have a gamecube but my cousin did and we usually would end up playing the dreamcast over the gamecube.
m-productions
Dreamcast is indeed a great system, as a lot of games came out for it first before any other system, such a skys of arcadia, ikaruga...ect. But the reason I didnt add it is most people would not be able to play a dreamcast game, as most people dont have one.
Ghengis
X-COM is certainly wonderful, as is the sequel. XCOM 3 wasn't as good, IMHO.

That reminds me -- everybody looking for "forgotten treasures" should hit up www.the-underdogs.info. You can get the first X-COM game, and apparently the second is available on Steam. They also have a torrent of the 3rd one (this is *probably* legal, as it's classed as "abandonware"). Of course, there's also several thousand other awesome older games as well Wink
kerryworkman
Ghengis wrote:
X-COM is certainly wonderful, as is the sequel. XCOM 3 wasn't as good, IMHO.

That reminds me -- everybody looking for "forgotten treasures" should hit up www.the-underdogs.info. You can get the first X-COM game, and apparently the second is available on Steam. They also have a torrent of the 3rd one (this is *probably* legal, as it's classed as "abandonware"). Of course, there's also several thousand other awesome older games as well Wink

Right-on, thanks for the info. I have been looking for that game for a while, and have not been able to find a legal way of getting it.
Ghengis
I can't tell you how many times I have gotten something awesome from the Underdogs. Way, way back when, Sid Meier (!) made a computer version of Magic: The Gathering. It was awesome -- back when there were a number of cards that a single human being could remember, and you didn't need several phone book sized volumes to keep track of them. There was this thin veneer of frame story, and the rest of it was a really solid "duel" engine with a wicked AI and later support for network play. I got it running *pretty* well on my XP box, but it shows its age. I guess that could count as a "lost gem"...

Hey, here's another for the list, if you can add games on a predictive basis: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. It's out in Europe, but not here in the states. I've been playing it on my DS, and it's awesome. It's a pretty novel concept, and don't let the cartoony/kiddie graphics fool you -- it's ruthless. I won't go into a ton of detail here, but I'll make a separate thread in this forum, and I suggest if you like exploration/adventure games, you check it out.
McDucque
Ghengis wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I have gotten something awesome from the Underdogs. Way, way back when, Sid Meier (!) made a computer version of Magic: The Gathering. It was awesome -- back when there were a number of cards that a single human being could remember, and you didn't need several phone book sized volumes to keep track of them. There was this thin veneer of frame story, and the rest of it was a really solid "duel" engine with a wicked AI and later support for network play. I got it running *pretty* well on my XP box, but it shows its age. I guess that could count as a "lost gem"...

Hey, here's another for the list, if you can add games on a predictive basis: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. It's out in Europe, but not here in the states. I've been playing it on my DS, and it's awesome. It's a pretty novel concept, and don't let the cartoony/kiddie graphics fool you -- it's ruthless. I won't go into a ton of detail here, but I'll make a separate thread in this forum, and I suggest if you like exploration/adventure games, you check it out.

I remember that... and I still have it actually, I dont play magic anymore with my own cards, as I sold most of them to buy the computer im using, I had a nice collection, but i grew out of it.

I still play the pc game though, it rules.
datter
You can't forget PC and you can't overlook Mafia. Somehow very few of the people I know caught that title for some reason, but it's one of my all time favorite games.

link