FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ejecting USB drive.

lastelement0
recently ive been having an issue in regards to ejecting my flash drives. whenever i'd go to remove storage safely i will always get a message telling me that it cant do it and somethings accessing it. is there some freeware that i can use to determine what is accessing my thumb drives so i can stop it and in turn safely remove my thumbdrives from my computer
coreymanshack
lastelement0 wrote:
recently ive been having an issue in regards to ejecting my flash drives. whenever i'd go to remove storage safely i will always get a message telling me that it cant do it and somethings accessing it. is there some freeware that i can use to determine what is accessing my thumb drives so i can stop it and in turn safely remove my thumbdrives from my computer

Sounds like you are running a program that is using your flash drive, try to close out of that program. You could also try pressing ctrl+alt+del and select task manager then end explorer.exe . Then click file run new task explorer.exe. (restarts the gui) and try to remove it. You could also remove the damn thing anyway. I've never seen it hurt my flash drive... in fact I've never removed "safely".
lastelement0
im sure that my drive is probably being used by a program. but the thing is i don't have anything open that would be needing it anyway. thats why i was wondering if there was some software out there that can show what programs or files or anthign of the sort is being used by something else which would prevent the ejecting.

i know there is something like it b/c i found something years ago that i needed when i had a file that wouldnt delete because another process was still accessing it. i just hadn't needed it in a while so i have no idea anymore
coreymanshack
lastelement0 wrote:
im sure that my drive is probably being used by a program. but the thing is i don't have anything open that would be needing it anyway. thats why i was wondering if there was some software out there that can show what programs or files or anthign of the sort is being used by something else which would prevent the ejecting.

i know there is something like it b/c i found something years ago that i needed when i had a file that wouldnt delete because another process was still accessing it. i just hadn't needed it in a while so i have no idea anymore

processexplorer.exe?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processexplorer.mspx
Kelvin
Your tumbdrive could have been infected by a trojan/worm. I had my tumbdrive infected recently through a computer and it gave me that message all the time. Can't remember the name of the worm though but it infects every pendrive that is plugged into the infected host. It is also still possible to have the message appear on normal curcumstance but if it's happening all the time... then I suggest u run a thorough scan on your tumbdrive. If you don't have antivirus, run Pandasoft's Free online scanner. It fixed my drive.
m-productions
I suggest to remove it, and dont waste your time with the "remove safe crap"

that was first added for applications that use the USB as a continuous flow of data, or for items that can get power from the USB, (such as an i-pod or the new psp) as for thumb drives... you are safe to remove it, even if something is reading it, or you are copying a file to it, nothing will happen.
coreymanshack
m-productions wrote:

that was first added for applications that use the USB as a continuous flow of data, or for items that can get power from the USB, (such as an i-pod or the new psp) as for thumb drives... you are safe to remove it, even if something is reading it, or you are copying a file to it, nothing will happen.

I'll have to agree with m-productions, this is much what I said. Although he said it in a better manner Very Happy
ronald.helpdesk
m-productions wrote:

I'm sorry, but I have to say this...

This fellow frihost user haven't told us wich OS is he using... if he is using something that loads the flash drive as a locked partition to work with, when he removes the thumb drive, it might cause paging errors some times...

I had that Issue with previos versions of Linux and one time with MacOSX
internetjobs
if any virus present on the usb drive thenit will always communicate with the system. s we cannot eject that...go to process and stop virus related process and try. or simply logoff your system and login..
m-productions
ronald.helpdesk wrote:
m-productions wrote:

I'm sorry, but I have to say this...

This fellow frihost user haven't told us wich OS is he using... if he is using something that loads the flash drive as a locked partition to work with, when he removes the thumb drive, it might cause paging errors some times...

I had that Issue with previos versions of Linux and one time with MacOSX

very true sir... It is bad to just assume hes using windows. However, its getting rarer and rarer that OS do this, most new falvours of linux dont do this anymore, however im not sure about Macs, Ive never really used flash drives with them.
bulek
That sometimes happens to me. Just make sure that you are not downloading or uploading files to USB pen and just disconnect it. Usually nothing can go wrong if there is no data transfer.
Arnie
Safe removal is very important on Windows 2000. Just pulling out your stick can cause massive data loss because the file system of the stick isn't properly updated. Regardless of whether you're transferring data while the stick gets pulled (although that's even worse, of course).

In Windows XP it's less problematic because in that OS the laziness / lack of responsibility of users has been accounted for. You still shouldn't pull the stick while it's transferring data, but that's kind of obvious.

I mean, in Linux you don't pull out your media without first unmounting them either, do you? My Linux systems won't even let me eject the CD-drive when it's mounted.
doppleganger
well seems like yer drive is infected with some trojan or some kinda worm

it wld be better if u run a scan on the pen/flash drive, i had a problem with mine so then i formatted it and now its working pretty fyn

give it a try
internetjobs
log off your system and remove.. or shutdown...and remove..
Arnie
Blaming every computer problem on "some virus" is easy, but not necessarily correct. Of course you can try scanning it but it's probably not a virus.
doppleganger
so true, but i had a personal experience with me usb drive and that is what i mentioned abt, maybe very few people have faced that issue
tamilparks
ya the same problem in my system also i am using windows xp .. some drives or not having problem.. but if i opened the files in the drive the problem arises but even when i closed the files its not removing...............

is the safe removal required
javdilaver
If for any reason your computer is infected, please try this out:

http://www.processlibrary.com

This application will show you the current process (resident programs) on your memory and you will easily find there the ones that shouldn't be allowed. It works great!!
adeydas
If you are not using the drive and it says its been accessed its probably a virus. So use an antivirus first...
ronald.helpdesk
I'm using "Unlocker 1.85" from Cedrick Collomb and works fine for me.... it unlocks any file in use and then I'm able to unpulg my thumb drives with no problems
misterXY
right click in ur drive in my computer and press Eject..never had issues with over 150(one hundred and fifty, no error) different usb flashdrives and not one problem Smile
romaop
I see a lot of you say that on Windows you can take the pen with no damage. Are you sure? I used windows 2000 and xp with a pen and did that fast ejects. Then suddenly my pen started having errors and then stopped working.
Now I try to do always the secure eject. Sometimes it's not possible and the solution is:
1. close software like windows explorer and try again
2. run virus/trojan/worm remover
3. fast eject
misterXY
romaop wrote:
I see a lot of you say that on Windows you can take the pen with no damage. Are you sure? I used windows 2000 and xp with a pen and did that fast ejects. Then suddenly my pen started having errors and then stopped working.
Now I try to do always the secure eject. Sometimes it's not possible and the solution is:
1. close software like windows explorer and try again
2. run virus/trojan/worm remover
3. fast eject

run step 2 in safe mode while ur at it too!
Indyan
Try using unlocker on the drive.
A frequent culprit is antivirus/spyware software with their livescanning.
Other softwares like diskeeper which access the usb drive could be causing the problem.
FunDa
lastelement0 wrote:

I've seen it many times due to several viruses.

Press Alt-Ctrl_Del

And get the task manager.

Open Process tab.

End all the suspicious run by the current user one by one and see which one is causing the problem

It is probably the one which is the virus
cvkien
in my case, it might be 2 things happened. first is when you close your files, using some software, it might take few seconds to stop process. so during that ending process time, you might not able to safety remove it. and you can check your thumb drive led, if it blinking. if it blinking, meaning there is something still running. then wait for few second.

second is if your thumb drive infected by trojan or worm. in this case, you can see (mostly) your thumb drive led will blinking all the time, even you didn't run anything at all from your thumb drive. if it did, scan your computer with antivirus.

if you are using windows xp or vista, there is something most of the people don't know about. which is windows xp and vista support or i can say allowed user to straight away pull out their thumb drive from the usb port. it will automatically stop the process when you pull out. you can check it by right click your thumb drive icon> properties> hardware(choose the thumbdrive)> properties> policies.
securnet
WindowsXP uses the "Optimized for disconnection" mode for USB ports, so it means that it isn't necessary to eject the usb device you are using. If You prefer the "Optimized for speed" mode for USB ports then, after You have made the change to the USB mode configuration, when You want to eject any attached USB device, You MUST wait for the disconnection otherwise data can be lost. This is because to optimize for speed Windows uses to cache files to copy to the device also if it shows to You that datas are already copied.
frih
i think there is some virus or unwanted program in your usb. try to format usb drive without opening it with the help of command prompt. you can also check task manager for all yhe programs running on your computer. alternatively , you can scan your usb. use mcafee anti-virus for it.
securnet
When you try to deactivate your usb device, have you any window open?
conandoyle
just shutdown the PC then grab out your flash drive.
hope works...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
securnet
Very useful if you have to connect and disconnect several devices more then once...
I think that it should be better to tryu to understand the cause.
Wink
arbab
I have also got the same problem. And i have discovered that it always happens when some file is opened from the Flash drive. For example if you have played a sound file using windows media player and you have stopped the file but it is still in the playlist. or you have an opened pdf or doc file openeed.
The solution which i have used and it works alot of time is that you simply right click on the flash drive in the my computer and then select EJECT .then you can remove that flash drive.I hope that it would have helped you.
cvkien
if using windows xp or vista, and you are using usb thumb drive (not usb external HDD), you actually can unplug the driver without safety remove. this is because windows xp and vista had safety removal policies for those usb drive which allow user to unplug the drive without click for safety removal. you can check that option by right click the usb drive, then choose properties, then click on hardware tab, and then choose your usb drive and then click properties, then click on policies tab and then you can see there are two options, which is optimize for quick removal and optimize for performance.

by default, most of the usb drives are using optimize for quick removal, which allow user to remove the usb drive without using the safety removal icon. but you have to make sure you did not transfer any file or the file will failed transfer to or from the usb drive. BUT the file will NOT damage.

Normally when the usb drive is accessing by some program or when you doing file transfer, the LED will blinking. and if you did not play any mp3 or any files from your usb drive, the led will not blinking. if it does, meaning your computer has virus that was still active in the computer. and that, when you click on safety remove, it will show " cannot remove the device".
bigt
Like some posters, I think a program or windows is still using the drive. Try to figure out which one also make sure you're not using the usb drive for temp files and/or that windows accelerating or whatever it's called.

lastelement0 wrote:
gabysatoshi
a year later and I still had the same problem..
Like one of the posters above, I suggest using unlocker->http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

It's supposed to unhook the program which is accessing the hard drive

In my case, the windows mediaplayer was the culprit. Unlocker couldn't unlock it BUT it did detect what was accessing my HD. then all I had to do was CTRL+ALT+DEL and end the WMP process in the task manager. USB was removed safely with no worries that it was a virus or that I would "unsafely" remove it.
omantye
Unlocker is a tool that you might want to look at. It is a freeware and it unlocks all the handles to a file folder or a drive. It came to my windows from beginning but i think you can also download it from the web. It unlcoks all the locking handles of the drive so that you can safely remove it. I also encountered the same problems before and unlocker was the remedy!
neolite
coreymanshack wrote:
lastelement0 wrote:

Sounds like you are running a program that is using your flash drive, try to close out of that program. You could also try pressing ctrl+alt+del and select task manager then end explorer.exe . Then click file run new task explorer.exe. (restarts the gui) and try to remove it. You could also remove the damn thing anyway. I've never seen it hurt my flash drive... in fact I've never removed "safely".

You can use unlocker. It is a nice program that unlocks your drive from any external program
FunDa
Sio what happened finally ? Did u finda out what was the problem ?

Was it a virus or just some rogue windows programs like Media Player ?
nilonline
If it's a thumbdrive, just pull it out! If it was an external portable hard drive I would not recommend this way. BTW how large is the capacity? If it's around or less than 4GB and you see nothing is running on your desktop, then don't worry. Just pull it out when your done. Smile
Jamestf347
Happened to me before, but remember USB devices are hot swapable... although it's suggested to 'safely' remove it, it usually wont hurt just pulling it out.
abdulqadirabid
close program linking usb ,or go to task manager if some program is accessed by your pc on usb ,close it
FunDa
It would be better if u find out what program is causing the problem too. Because all thsese can be caused by USB viruses and they are quite dangerous sometimes

I would recommend that u open task manager and find the programs that are running that may be using the USB. If some extra suspicious is there, it could be a virus ..........
sanalskumar
Most probably a virus infection. Use a good antivirus and scan your device before opening it in your machine.
FunDa
sanalskumar wrote:
Most probably a virus infection. Use a good antivirus and scan your device before opening it in your machine.

There are so many new viruses being made ( even by Hindi speaking Indians - I've seen Khatra.exe Khatarnak.exe ) that an antivirus is not enough.

Take precautions like the "funda method of opening USB drives" (open from the drop down mwnu in the address bar). That will prevent activation of the virus
Raidation
Turn off your computer and pull it out.

It's VERY important to safely remove hardware. I pulled out my Flash drive out of my Mac and I lost a whole folder of important stuff.
sanalskumar
FunDa wrote:
sanalskumar wrote:

There are so many new viruses being made ( even by Hindi speaking Indians - I've seen Khatra.exe Khatarnak.exe ) that an antivirus is not enough.

Take precautions like the "funda method of opening USB drives" (open from the drop down mwnu in the address bar). That will prevent activation of the virus

I am not understanding what do you mean by " even by Hindi speaking Indians". That 'hindi speaking Indians' are not capable of writing codes? And also two hindi words cant assure that these are created by any Hindi speaking Indians.

And let me ask you, Can you tell me that you have never used any antivirus?

And do you think, your 'funda' method is 100% safe? Okay even half of it ?
Guess what ?
NO. This is because of the main disadvantage of a Windows box - Any program can run on your machine without your permission.

I agree that every day so many new viruses are created. It does not mean that all antivirus programs are useless. They will release new signatures which can effectively remove the new virus. If your antivirus software (that you have license) is not capable of removing a particular virus, escalate the same to the vendor. They will help you. I am an antivirus admin and so far i have followed this method...
Jaan
I'm pretty sure you can just yank it out even if its on.
cheers
halilibo
on that occasion i prefer using combofix to clean my usb and my computer. this type of viruses, can sense(!) usb memories when they plugged in and copies itselves to them then starts from there.

the onlly way i save my computer from them is to use combofix to clean up, and then install USB Security to scan usb memories for any type of viruses. these two programmes saved my life Smile

You can download Combofix from www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix
and in this page explains howto use Combofix.

Good Luck Smile
FunDa
sanalskumar wrote:
FunDa wrote:
sanalskumar wrote:

I am not understanding what do you mean by " even by Hindi speaking Indians". That 'hindi speaking Indians' are not capable of writing codes? And also two hindi words cant assure that these are created by any Hindi speaking Indians.

And let me ask you, Can you tell me that you have never used any antivirus?

And do you think, your 'funda' method is 100% safe? Okay even half of it ?
Guess what ?
NO. This is because of the main disadvantage of a Windows box - Any program can run on your machine without your permission.

I agree that every day so many new viruses are created. It does not mean that all antivirus programs are useless. They will release new signatures which can effectively remove the new virus. If your antivirus software (that you have license) is not capable of removing a particular virus, escalate the same to the vendor. They will help you. I am an antivirus admin and so far i have followed this method...

Ok , maybe its not make by any Hindi speaking person. I was too hasty in judging that.
But the virus definitely has the maximum frequencies in the Northern parts of India suggesting that it may have been released in these areas.

A time-frequency distribution using a Google Trends will help you make a preliminary analysis.

And secondly, the "Funda©" method of opening USB drives in a Windows Box is perfectly safe . But note that only the Opening is safe. If u go further and try to open any file or folder, you have tpo take further precautions.

I'll explain the Funda© method of opening USB drives in a further post, maybe in my blog at http://www.fundazone.com .

Or maybe at http://johndasfundas.blogspot.com

Let me download the screencasting software first to show exactly what I mean.

In short : To prevent viruses that have an autorun function from activating, you have to absolutely avoid opening the drive from "My Computer" by double clicking, right clicking and clicking open or explore or even from the autoplay box displayed in the default autorun setting of most Windows Xp computers.

The only safe way is to access it from the command prompt[cmd.exe] (which is very tedious)
OR
the Funda© method which is using the dropdown menu on the right side of the address bar whitespace.

Also, a cleanup is required in the registry setting of Mountpoints2.

Amd the actual virus files have to be made visible y making hidden files visible, making protected system files visible and turning SuperHidden off from the registry.

And about the antivirus : I do have an antivirus (avast free edition), but I don't use it to rmeove the viruses from computers of my friends who come to me for help. I use an antivirus to scan drives for virusesm But i manually delete them and change the registry settings back.

This is because the anitvirus does not correct the registry and startup settings or even the Moutpoints data.

I'll put up a detailed explanation with pictures and video and audio when I get finish downloading and installing a free screencasting software. Any suggestions for a good screencasting software ?
sanalskumar
Sorry to tell you this dude...
Khtra.exe traffic has been found in two places in India. Delhi and "Chennai", which is the southern most part of India (I think). So what i mean is, there is a higher probability that this file has been created by any Tamil speaking Indians.

Your "Funda© method" is cool... i also used it sometimes when the drive is not directly opening in my test PC.

I have not used any screen casting software so far. So i cant shoot any links to you.
It was really helpful to read this thread...
Thanks Mr. Akkara.
FunDa
Well Sanal, good detective work.

I'm sorry I couldn't see the Chennai traffic in my searches, maybe there is a better way to search. I sure would love to know how to see that.

I did this search http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=khatra.exe%2Ckhatarnak.exe%2Cremove%20khatra.exe%2Cremove%20khatarnak.exe&geo=IN&cmpt=q

Showed me only Delhi.
Of course this is a very roundabout way of looking at it, because this shows only the Google searches made by people having internet and the interest to search for a manual cure.

And I know for sure there is a cluster in Jaipur, because I isolated it from a couple of USB drives from Jaipur.

And of course "Khatra" means "Danger" in Hindi. And "Khatarnak" means "Dangerous".
And most Tamilians do not learn Hindi in school.

Here's a bunch of screencasting software if u want to do a tutorial.

I am having limited bandwidth and a poor computer, so until I can afford a better comp or net connection, I'll probably be working like I'm supposed to be, instead of chatting away on forums. Wink

Nice talking to u Sanal.
sanalskumar
Its not any kind of detective work dude. I was sure that you are from India. So i just wanted to know from which part of it? After all, we all are geeks...
I am really sorry, if it offended you.
Then about the files, i just looked at the khtra.exe traffic. And i found Delhi and chennai. Thats it.

And can you please tell me what is the meaning of my name in tamil?

Good Day John...
FunDa
sanalskumar wrote:

And can you please tell me what is the meaning of my name in tamil?

I've no idea dude. I'm not a Tamilian, but I can ask my friends