FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Language

which one ?
php
70%
 70%  [ 14 ]
c/cpp
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
java
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
perl
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
python
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
other (please specify)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

Antoine_935
What is your favourite scripting language ?
htmlmaster
Of those, C++, its fast and powerful, and not too hard (OK, maybe too hard). Although its worth it. So I choose C++.
SystemWisdom
I like them all, they all have great uses with different things.. PHP is great for server-side scripting, and C++ is a great language for apps and games.. even perl has great usage on unix environments for shell scripting...

I don't think these languages are comparable.. you shoulda asked for languages like ASP.Net, ASP, PHP, JSP, CGI, etc.. cuz they are all server-side scripting technologies and can be compared better..

Just my 0.02 cents!
Antoine_935
I began learning Python yesterdy. It seems to be poweful.
Did anyone tri it out ?
snoppy
PHP and C Dancing
yjwong
Ahem...I think a lot of these topics have been raised before...
squeakypants
You can't compare!
php - serverside web language
c/cpp - programming language
java - programming language, can be embedded in to web
perl - terminal language (like DOS), can be used to control a remote computer via CGI
python - programming language
Manyak
I'm not voting because i donư know much about those languages ;P
benz
There's a whole lot of difference between Java and JavaScript (ECMAScript). Java is a generalised object-oriented programming language. JavaScript is a scripting language, not normally object-oriented. You can write JavaScript in HTML, you can't write Java directly in HTML, although you can link to an applet (Java web application) in a similar way to the way you link to images. The applet appears in a defined area of the web page.

Java looks like this:

Code:
public class Hello {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        System.out.println("Hello, world!");
    }   
}

JavaScript looks like this:

Code:
function onload() {
    alert('Hello, world!')
}

Just so you know!

Ben
Kit
Well as a language ignoring the diffrences between apples and oranges, I really like PHP. It is a really great language for web development [duh] and is fairly easy to learn.
benz
Kit wrote:
Well as a language ignoring the diffrences between apples and oranges, I really like PHP. It is a really great language for web development [duh] and is fairly easy to learn.

I'm beginning to think I should learn PHP. I'm an professional programmer with reasonably wide language experience (C, C++, Java, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Haskell, Prolog, VB, bash scripting to name a few). I tend to pick up languages quickly and I've got nothing else planned for tomorrow morning Wink.

Where should I look for a pretty thorough reference guide? Not looking for something light and superficial. I want the whole meal.

Ben
Grimboy
The official website would be a good place to start (php.net). I would go for php if we're talking about server side stuff as I can't be bothered with the fiddling with compiling and uploading for C and php is embedded and therefore you can have a big beast of an application running somewhere or/and little spirinkles elsewhere. Client side I prefer python. I don't know if you could really call c/cpp or java programming languages what with them being compiled and all.
careyd
My vote is for python. It is very flexible, allows for rapid development, and is near C speed. And if you need certain parts faster, you can write them in c/c++ and link it into your python program.

-Dave
skfung
c and c++ is very good
but i think php is useful for making website
Hoogeveense RAT
I use PHP, onyfor switch, includes and for the newssystem. But I learning MySQL so I can make my own scripts in the future Smile