FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dungeon Siege!

basementgamesltd
Hey all,

I thought I'd take the time to talk about one of my favorite games.

Ever since the Diablo series came out, there were wanna-bes of that type of RPG. A lot of the wanna-be Diablo games turned out to be worse than Diablo it self. But, when Dungeon Siege was released in 2002, it managed to be a great RPG and wanna-be Diablo (no, can't even say it because of a few reasons):

1. Even though the graphics are dated, it still looks nice. I never said, "Wow, nice graphics" to a game that is a little old (except for the first Crash Bandicoot installment which had some great graphics for the PS1 console). Also the environment is well thought of, you'll be exploring forests, deserts, arctic, and more importantly DUNGEONS (hence the name Dungeon Siege).

2. The game manages to be exciting and here is why: imagine a party of 8 adventurers collide and beat the snot out of the hundreds of monsters you are going to face in DS. There are also lots of tactical strategy involved unlike Diablo's point-and-click method which DS also borrowed. So, let's say RTS/RPG-type adventure is the name.

3. As usual you get to choose to be a warrior, archer, or mage (nature or combat); however you have to stick with it (it is ok to have a bow for a warrior but if you want to stick with warrior, that bow is tempting).

4. The sounds are great and so is the music composed by Jeremy Soule, who also did the score for the famous RTS game "Total Annihilation".
The music can sound eerie, exciting, and mellow, depending on the setting of the story. Although, the voice acting is about 4/10 (the Stonebridge blacksmith sounds like he got hit on the head by one of his weapons and sounds nuts). There are some touchy moments in the dialog that is "professional", pretty much, this is a typical RPG-dialog.

5. A lot of people said that creator Chris Taylor and the gang of Gas Powered Games worked on plot more than story-line. I agree with that but the plot is very good (too much fantasy novels Razz). You star as a farmer and then after your dying friend (you are probably thinking, "ummm.... what dying friend?") tells you that the Krug are attacking (they are orc-like nasties), is when you officially start DS. No plot-twists but a good plot to remember.

3. As usual, there is combat involved: arrows, swords, spells, etc are your main attraction. Eventually you'll kill more than the krug: fierce spiders (at Wesrin Cross there is a scary BIG SPIDER at the end of this dungeon), skeletons, monsters, monsters, and more monsters. The weapons and armor looks really amazing but yet doesn't look bulky (as in wearing the huge Anime armor you can hardly wear without falling). Although, little note for the parents: some creatures do get slashed into pieces but as you get stronger, there is a chance of very weak animals to explode, causing gore but no big puddles of blood. Still a note though.

All that turns into a big hack-and-slash fest that is worthy of its praise. I recommend this and play this on hard level, you'll enjoy it more .

keep it real.....
coreymanshack
basementgamesltd wrote:
Hey all,

I thought I'd take the time to talk about one of my favorite games.

Ever since the Diablo series came out, there were wanna-bes of that type of RPG. A lot of the wanna-be Diablo games turned out to be worse than Diablo it self. But, when Dungeon Siege was released in 2002, it managed to be a great RPG and wanna-be Diablo (no, can't even say it because of a few reasons):

1. Even though the graphics are dated, it still looks nice. I never said, "Wow, nice graphics" to a game that is a little old (except for the first Crash Bandicoot installment which had some great graphics for the PS1 console). Also the environment is well thought of, you'll be exploring forests, deserts, arctic, and more importantly DUNGEONS (hence the name Dungeon Siege).

2. The game manages to be exciting and here is why: imagine a party of 8 adventurers collide and beat the snot out of the hundreds of monsters you are going to face in DS. There are also lots of tactical strategy involved unlike Diablo's point-and-click method which DS also borrowed. So, let's say RTS/RPG-type adventure is the name.

3. As usual you get to choose to be a warrior, archer, or mage (nature or combat); however you have to stick with it (it is ok to have a bow for a warrior but if you want to stick with warrior, that bow is tempting).

4. The sounds are great and so is the music composed by Jeremy Soule, who also did the score for the famous RTS game "Total Annihilation".
The music can sound eerie, exciting, and mellow, depending on the setting of the story. Although, the voice acting is about 4/10 (the Stonebridge blacksmith sounds like he got hit on the head by one of his weapons and sounds nuts). There are some touchy moments in the dialog that is "professional", pretty much, this is a typical RPG-dialog.

5. A lot of people said that creator Chris Taylor and the gang of Gas Powered Games worked on plot more than story-line. I agree with that but the plot is very good (too much fantasy novels Razz). You star as a farmer and then after your dying friend (you are probably thinking, "ummm.... what dying friend?") tells you that the Krug are attacking (they are orc-like nasties), is when you officially start DS. No plot-twists but a good plot to remember.

3. As usual, there is combat involved: arrows, swords, spells, etc are your main attraction. Eventually you'll kill more than the krug: fierce spiders (at Wesrin Cross there is a scary BIG SPIDER at the end of this dungeon), skeletons, monsters, monsters, and more monsters. The weapons and armor looks really amazing but yet doesn't look bulky (as in wearing the huge Anime armor you can hardly wear without falling). Although, little note for the parents: some creatures do get slashed into pieces but as you get stronger, there is a chance of very weak animals to explode, causing gore but no big puddles of blood. Still a note though.

All that turns into a big hack-and-slash fest that is worthy of its praise. I recommend this and play this on hard level, you'll enjoy it more .

keep it real.....

Thanks for the review on this game, it sounds quite interesting though I've never played it. Keep it Real.
azbuky
Great review! Any chance writing one for Dungeon Siege II? Thanks!
vaoger
all time flavourite... love...
thanks for the review
carlokes
Hi there,

Dungeon Siege is definitely one of my favorite games and although it isn't, IMO as good as the Baldur's Gate saga, it still is an awesome game.

Congratz for the review, very well done an i think it really explain what one may expect from the game.

I never had the chance to play Dungeon Siege II but I hope some time in the future I'm able to play it Smile

Stay Cool.