FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hey, space.frih.net is now AstroTwister.com. cool, eh?

How would you rate my website?
1 Bad
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5 Good side of Bad
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
6 Bad side of Good
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10 Great!! Keep up the good work.
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

IceCreamTruck
What do you guys think about my new domain, and website to boot?

I just reworked the site, and I finally took it live because I got enough done for you guys to see the website with the new domain.

you used to go here:
http://space.frih.net

Now you should go here:
http://AstroTwister.com

Update your book marks and make sure to send me an email about joining my link exchange. I've asked you guys before about trading links, and not too many of you took me up on the offer, but it's time for all of us to start getting the rewards of being linked around the web.

I will also be coming to you guys with some new websites for you to review. I have some good ideas, and you guys all seem to have the good opinions about what a site should look like, so I will intrust them to you (once they are launched).

For now please head over to AstroTwister.com and please either join my forums there, yes it's phpBB so I know you guys know how to use it, or post a reply here and let me know what you think about the site. Bear in mind that I already have changes in mind for the site, but I haven't had time to exact the first string of changes that the new domain is causing me to have to make.

PS. this is the part of FriHost that I enjoy the most, and that is really creative people going to my site and breaking it down for me. ;-p

PPS. Please don't point out my under construction pages. I know what they are, and I also know I need to fix them...pronto!! updates rolling out daily!!
newso
the domain name is quite good. I like it.

If you want my honest opinion, i dont really like the website. The content of the website is great. But the colours used are hard to see. Also, there are too many ad's it just makes the website look over cramped.
SlowWalkere
Gotta agree.

It seems like an interesting site and concept. But the ads are a bit over-whelming, and the color scheme could use a revamp. It doesn't look clean to me.

One tip - add a screenshot of the solar system widget. A description is nice, but it'd be better to see it in action before I waste time downloading something I may not even want.

As for the ads, I'd suggest moving some navigation features (like the five main page tabs) to a sidebar and then putting some ads around that. As it is, users can focus solely on the center of the screen and ignore the ads - you want them to have to look at the ads while they're doing something else (i.e. navigating your site).

Good luck,
- Walkere
IceCreamTruck
Interesting sugestions. I will have to considder them for the next version. I already have plans to change things, but as it stands you can always spend time changing, but the need is to get really good content online and live.

Thanks again for the comments. I really enjoy reading what you guys have to say, and if you come back and would like for me to review something, then post it here and I will personally return the favor that you have done for me!!

Peace!
IceCreamTruck
My new idea for the site is a white background. I think that will help the situation a little bit, as most of my color choices have been because of the black background. Sure I will try to work in stary landscapes, but for now I do believe that the site does need a white background.

This changes a lot, and the few ideas that I have gone into I really like, so look for these changes and more to come very soon.

Thanks again!!
irishmark
The amount of Google Ads is a bit much - it hurts my eyes trying to tell the diffrence between content and ads!
IceCreamTruck
Hey,
I just read that PHP 5 was installed on server two. I've been asking about this for a long time, and now that it is done I will be able to activate my perl stats package from within PHP pages. Long story short the previous version of PHP did not support server side perl scripts, but this upgrade will allow me to add small amounts of code to make my phpBB forum pages go live in my stats.

Not that it makes much difference to you guys, but I'm super happy about it! I've got some work to do now, but it will be fun.

I'll post the link here so you guys can see my stats package. It's really cool as it is supposed to just support all the stats that are currently running on each account on the server. At a glance I can tell if google farmed my pages and on what day. I notice more than that too. I can tell what page the google/askjeeves/yahoo bots came in on, and what page they left on, as well as the browsing habbits of users. It also tells me what pages are my most popular, and how many hits each page has gotten.

Once I've posted the link then I will give you guys a copy of the script for your sites if you link to me as a favor.
IceCreamTruck
I think I have gotten the point from the polls alone, although a comment to support your vote is much appriciated. What I have gathered is that the site still needs work!

Please remember to comment on your vote!!!

if you vote is bad, then tell me why! If it's good then please tell me what made you think it was good, and so on and so forth. Please don't vote and then not tell me what made you vote that way. I see that only one or two have slipped by without commenting, but I would much prefer you leave a comment then just a poll vote and move on.

Maybe I should redesign the poll to be more descriptive. hmmmm, now there is a thought.

Anyway, thanks for your support of AstroTwister.com as you are actively contributing to the site becoming something great.
m-productions

This was a hard one to pick. The site has possiblites as I think it has some good things about it... but theres also a lot wrong, a lot of web design 101 no no's.

1)Lets start with your front page, this, is a welcome page... which are very much old news... noone used them anymore, and personally I think are very tacky, but, what I think really dosnt matter in this, what I dislike about this are the ads, there are WAAYY to many for a welcome page. Thew few visotors the sites going to get at first, are going to leave right away, I know I would have. Remove the ads from the welcome page, thats a must!

2)Once in your homepage, the ads attack once again, WAY TO MANY! frihost is one of the few GOOD free webhosts that dont force ads, so why you are using them, and throwing up ads anyway that make the site look horrible im not sure. I can understand, you have ads for money.... but when they make the site look bad (and you spam them) noones going to click them, in fact, they are going to leave your site without looking at the content. So should you have ads on your site? Yes, but you need to make it cleaner, and have less.

3) Black background with low quality star field... the #2 overused background in sites like this (#1 being just black) You really need to get a new background.. i understand it has to do with space... but you need something that looks different and set your site apart. Maybe a nice gradent with a picture of a few stars or galaxies on the top left or something.. just something not used so much, and has a bit more of a clean/proffesional feel to it.

4) The layout itself Is decent. Not the best, but not the worst... The shape of it i like... but its so blah.. its just grey...and white (with the dreded black background) ... If you could add some color to it, and same shapes... to give it some character... I think it would be great.

I hope you take to heart some of what I said and it helps you make your website even better ^^

ps: you might want to change the link in your sig
IceCreamTruck
m-productions wrote:

This was a hard one to pick. The site has possiblites as I think it has some good things about it... but theres also a lot wrong, a lot of web design 101 no no's.

Many people get turned off when the truth hurts, but I do not. I was instantly super curious about your post by how you started it off because I know that I am breaking 101 rules, but the site is coming in stages and it's an ad site, so there are a few reasons for the blatant abuse of 101s dos and don'ts.

m-productions wrote:

1)Lets start with your front page, this, is a welcome page... which are very much old news... noone used them anymore, and personally I think are very tacky, but, what I think really dosnt matter in this, what I dislike about this are the ads, there are WAAYY to many for a welcome page. Thew few visotors the sites going to get at first, are going to leave right away, I know I would have. Remove the ads from the welcome page, thats a must!

OK, it's a site that I am not getting paid for, yet I want to make money. Hense the welcome page being just another place for ads. Did you read them? Did you click one on accident trying to browse into my site? I don't want to totally confuse my users, but I'm not exactly going easy on them either. I trying to get away with as much abuse as possible without people totally leaving. If they are instantly turned off, then I can't help it, but I do feel like most people's tollerance for ads is pretty high these days.

m-productions wrote:

2)Once in your homepage, the ads attack once again, WAY TO MANY! frihost is one of the few GOOD free webhosts that dont force ads, so why you are using them, and throwing up ads anyway that make the site look horrible im not sure. I can understand, you have ads for money.... but when they make the site look bad (and you spam them) noones going to click them, in fact, they are going to leave your site without looking at the content. So should you have ads on your site? Yes, but you need to make it cleaner, and have less.

The attack is on!!! lol. Yes, less is more, but the first stage of the site was to place ads everywhere and see what ads do the best. I think I have a good idea that it's the ads on the left side of the page, so those will stay and the rest will go.

m-productions wrote:

3) Black background with low quality star field... the #2 overused background in sites like this (#1 being just black) You really need to get a new background.. i understand it has to do with space... but you need something that looks different and set your site apart. Maybe a nice gradent with a picture of a few stars or galaxies on the top left or something.. just something not used so much, and has a bit more of a clean/proffesional feel to it.

I have figured out that I do need a graphic wrap on the page content. What I mean is I am currently building a triquarter (yes, i'm a trekkie) like appearance around the main body. Little more metal feel to it with the AstroTwister logo sitting on the current black background like it is (probably redo that too cause I just threw it together like it is now), but I want a white background for the page body and I'm working that in but it will be a minute or two getting that stuff together because I'm starting a management job today that I feel will end up eating up my time.

Do you understand?
Do you feel like this will help or confuse the situation further?

m-productions wrote:

4) The layout itself Is decent. Not the best, but not the worst... The shape of it i like... but its so blah.. its just grey...and white (with the dreded black background) ... If you could add some color to it, and same shapes... to give it some character... I think it would be great.

I think the graphic "main body" wrap will statisfy this one.

m-productions wrote:

I hope you take to heart some of what I said and it helps you make your website even better ^^

ps: you might want to change the link in your sig

Dude, that was the greatest comment I've ever received. Detailed, Informative comments sectioned out for easy digest. My site will definately improove based on these comments and based on reworks that I am working on.

I changed the links in my profile, but it will be a minute before I can redesign my frihost signature ad. that one is crappy anyway. I never seem to have enough time to try different things. I usually have to run with my first idea and try to get that done as fast as possible. Reworks always come later.

I will be sure to follow up here and let you know how your comments influenced my decisions and I will try to remember to add your site in my links section (coming soon) as a contributor to the site.

Thanks a whole bunch!!

PS. you should get paid for this!! Applause But I'm cheep, and not making much off the website, so I'll take the advice and run. Razz
m-productions
im glad that what I have said will be able to help you make a better site, I was worried I might have come on a little strong throwing it out there at once, but when i read your other posts, that seemed to be what you kind of wanted.

the only thing I really hope you work on in the next layout is ad placement. I mean, ads are good, they give you money!! and who dosnt want that? but like I said... theres just too many. So what you said about keeping one on the side is good, just make sure you blend it in with your layout... I think thats the main thing I want to point out... A lot of ads can even work... if they "blend" with the layout.. as of right now.. they look like they were just thrown on the sides... (know what I mean) so when you work on your background/layout try to think of some creative way to add the ads.. that way it looks cleaner..and you can still get those nice money makers in there ^_~
IceCreamTruck
ok, I updated my signature!! yeah, score for the home team.

I'm just getting things together and getting set to spend some time updating my website. I just headed over here to frihost to catch up a little bit. But I must get to the changes that I have started before I have to go back to work on my day-job!! Things are looking up for me though!

I think that you are going to like the new layout. More to follow.
asim
hello, dude wassup,

i guess you have programming knowledge but not designing... can say user end front end. if you cant get a good colour combination. i guess you should try this application to build your website.... its called Joomla.
There's another application e107

I guess i din't hurt you by saying this.... but once you go through... you will be a good designer.

Thanks - if you like it.
Sorry - if i hurt you.
smartpandian
Its good...
regards
I love that idea, it is a great move! Having a normal domain is a lot better than having a .frih.net domain! And as http://space.frih.net is very well-known among us, you had act an excellent move, posting a post here reminding us to change the bookmark. By the way, is your website going on well?

Wink Regards
IceCreamTruck
Hey, just wanted to inform you guys that I now have a totally new domain, and the project is taking a big turn for the better. I will keep AstroTwister.com but after the coming update to the project (still don't have it all online yet) I will most likely be focusing my projects on the new and improoved...

KMpact.com

YEAH!! I'm excited. I wanted a domain where I can put anything I want to put that is short. Well the shortest I could find was kmpact.com It will stand for the Kendall (that's me!!) Impact, and the logos and colors will reflect my goals of owning and opporating a huge website with everything you can imagine from Community to Games, Blogs, and this is the start. Up until this point I didn't have a domain that didn't have a specific purpose. I couldn't put my "website tips and tricks" on AstroTwister.com because it's off topic. I can now put anything and everything I want online at KMpact.com and I don't have to worry about it.

BTW, don't worry I just bought the parts that I need to get my laptop back up and working so it will not be long before I release the latest version of AstroTwister. Yes, the only copy of the new widget is on a laptop that doesn't work right now. Pray you guys, pray!!

... But you guys have got to see this. It's the best version of the AstroTwister in so many ways.

Totally rewritten widget untilizes windows better so you can have the planets/anaclock/digiclock seporate or together, and if you aren't sure what I'm talking about then you simply need to get on the band wagon and download yahoo widgets and the AstroTwister widget to check it out!! it's super cool.

Anyway, thanks for checking up on me guys and continue to check back with me every so often as I am in need of people to kick my butt and help me remember to get these projects done.

PEACE ALL!!!!
dimg
dont you think you went a bit heavy on the ads...i mean its like EA designed your site *ZING*
SamiTheBerber
You should have same layout for every site. Forum has best navigation style and other should have same. The layout is clever and looks nice Smile It could be more neat, but rough fits too.

Domain fits the site very well. The context which are now, are well written and informative. Good site for astrology fans.

You should fix the source code of your site. You have lots of errors of the index and the errors will multiply on other pages of your site. Remember to write all tags in small caps and add doctype. You should use CSS for all your styles. It is easy to learn and good to use. You have used some attributes in places that aren't supported in XHTML or HTML.

You should fix them to get better rate. I can give you 6/10 for good try. Fix the source and layout. Add the missing context.
IceCreamTruck
I see your point here

SamiTheBerber wrote:
It could be more neat, but rough fits too.

but not here

SamiTheBerber wrote:
Remember to write all tags in small caps

HTML isn't case sensitive, and I write every page in all caps so it's SUPER easy to read. It's just something I've done for years.

Thanks for the comments, and know that I feel you are right on track with what I am considdering for the site. Number one: the whole site does need some TLC. LOL, I just can't find the time to work and build my site, so I had to settle for the quick version. It was done overnight so to speak, and yes...there are errors.

Could you tell me where .exactly. I have errors that you have found. I mean besides the fact that <DOCTYPE> was excluded from every page. Also, the new astrotwister.com doesn't have the supporting meta info, and stats package that space.frih.net did. But all in due time, yes? I will evenually get to all those wonderful little details.

Take care, and thanks again.

PS. see my point?!?! it's 12:30am for me now, and i'm just home from work. I spend a few minutes on frihost, and I no longer have energy to work on my website. Well, maybe not to move some mountains, but I will get a couple things done tonight I guess. maybe not!! lol. ;-p