FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Vienna / Windows 7

eefh1
Microsoft is focusing on its next major operating system release, Windows Vienna. Even though Windows Vienna is going to be a major release with a totally revised GUI, Microsoft made a bold statement: by the end of 2009 Vienna will hit the shelves.

Source : Windows Viennahttp://www.windowsvienna.com/index.php

I heard that this O/s will be a subscription based one.

What are your comments?
[FuN]goku
i've heard of this but i dont know too awful much about it.

Bit of info here

I probly wont use this OS, just like im avoiding vista, it sounds like another failure in progress Razz
LostOverThere
Yeah, the biggest thing for me which says this will be crap is that they're rewriting the code from scratch, and I'm finding Microsoft products are gradually getting worse. (Windows 98 supposedly the most stable of the Windblows editions).
pudding
It is way too early to get exited for me. I guess somethings are more important to work on a new OS. I suggest to MS to start with improving Vista with a service pack. those subsribtions sounds baaaddd. :/ altough I want to know more details but nothing is given.
brucedes
Wait...rewriting all the code? What the hell.

I can understand that Vista was originally meant to be a simple stop-gap between Vienna and XP, but rewriting all the code AND releasing it only 2 years after Vista came out will mess up everything people have gotten comfortable with in Vista. I also suspect that about 50% minimum of apps won't run on it properly.

I'll just stick with OS X, thank you. We get updates with more regularity, yet the majority of apps work perfectly in the latest versions. Hell, we've been through a damn processor architecture shift and 99% of PPC apps still work! Microsoft should embrace the "just works" philosophy. Then again, they'll probably ****** that up too! Rolling Eyes
[FuN]goku
mhhh...
@LostOverThere - I agree, about M$ Products getting worse, how about all of us at frihost pitch in and make our own OS and try and sell it to them for a huge amount, maybe they'll buy it... Wait no, cuz they wouldnt give us credit for it and they'd call it their own cuz they know they cant make one better lol... ahh if only that would happen. Dreaming is always fun Smile
djclue917
eefh1 wrote:
Microsoft is focusing on its next major operating system release, Windows Vienna. Even though Windows Vienna is going to be a major release with a totally revised GUI, Microsoft made a bold statement: by the end of 2009 Vienna will hit the shelves.

What are your comments?

Maybe they got the release date wrong. Laughing
I'm thinking that their *NEW* and shiny operating system will be release after what, 10 years considering the very delayed release of Windows Vista. Very Happy Also, I don't think the consumers will be really waiting for this OS since it would probably be just something like Vista.
coreymanshack
eefh1 wrote:

What are your comments?

I think that I will stick to my linux distros and/or create my own.
froginabox
LostOverThere wrote:
(Windows 98 supposedly the most stable of the Windblows editions).

I would actually vote W2K Pro for that... 98 wasn't bad, SE was horrible.

Anyways, as far as Vienna, I can guarantee that most businesses won't switch for a long, long, long time. Subscription based (i.e. a user brings his/her settings with him/her on a USB drive or downloads from a central server) would just be a playground for viruses, trojans, and worms.
Bones
Agreed win2k and XP are both way more stable than 98 ever was. I think it's a great thing that they are talking about reqriting the OS from the ground up. It's about time we got something new from Microsoft.

I also think they are trying to get it out there so much faster because they already probably realise that Vista is a huge flop and they need to keep the cash cow going.

If game developers would push harder to develope games that would run in linux, there would be NO question at all as to what OS I would run, but right now, as a gamer, there isn't much choice. It's Windows or a console, and I really don't like consoles.
[FuN]goku
Microsoft should make their own linux distro, that would be amusing to see, but.. i unfortunately i cant see that happening, cuz well they're a huge company which 'make money', and most linux distro's are 'open source' , but if they did make one, would it be worth the money?

As far as stable goes, im not too sure, im gonna say XP or one of the windows server editions...
But my favorite in the collection would probably be 98, cuz i was on this for the longest time (even after xp first came out... actually a few years past XP was out.) , this was probaly due to the fact that my dad didnt like XP at that timeand i didnt know much about OS'ing a computer back then to make my own choice... , i cant remember why my dad didnt like it but if i recall correctly he said something
about crayola colors or something lol... Anyways he put on Windows ME, which .....was a Huge Failure, i think i was running ME for about... 2 hours then i complained to my dad about starcraft not working and a few other things messing up so he switched me back to 98 and all was settled, and i was Playing Starcraft happily, years later i finally got XP which i honestly hated, cuz i was use to 98, but i dont mind XP now, and im actually using DOSBOX to emulate the really oldskool OS's like Windows 3.1 and 1.0 and stuff Smile ,theyre fun to mess with.

But i think XP is probly the most 'Stable' , just cuz it doesnt crash as often as Win98 did, (BSOD's FTW)
... I cant think of any time in the past 2 months where Xp has crashed by itself, a few games kind of forced me to turn my pc off cuz i couldnt alt tab, or do the 3 finger salute, but... No actual .. errors or anything.

[Slightly offtopic]
Im curious... Has anyone ever gotten a BSOD (Blue screen of death) on WinXP? Im just wondering how common they are, i know that i've gotten 4 in total whilst using XP over the years.
[/Slightly offtopic]
Agent ME
I once got a few in XP... but I think it had to do with my graphics card being on the fritz as it hasn't ever locked up since I replaced that card.
Talk2Tom11
I believe that microsoft might have learned a lesson from Vista. Their main problem was that it wasn't compatible with most current drivers and hardware. However, those problems are going away quick. The only problem that vista has now is the bad name it got in it's first few months. The people at microsoft don't get control of the whole computer industry by luck. Lets face it, they are not dumb. I believe Vienna will be an amazing operating system. I feel that vista is just a stepping stone to get to Vienna.

However, on the shelves by 2009, I will have to see that to believe it. Smile
turbosquid
After Microsofts poor excuse for an OS namely 'Vista' it's worrying to think they already have another 'successor' lined up! Microsoft's goal seems to be to swamp the market with their products so that no one else even gets a look in. Why they can't just work to improve their existing O/S's rather than trying to come up with a new one every few years.

XP as it stands now is not a bad O/S it's now fairly stable and has a lot of support so why Vista? why not just continue to improve XP? WHY because they want everyone to run off and buy their newest OS regardless of weather it works or not. It's a scary state of affairs, i don't think they will give up until you have Windows on your wristwatch Wink

TurboSquid
Studio Madcrow
Meh. They got it right with Windows 2000 and everything since has been useless crap. I have no interest in any version of Windows after 2000.
exarkun
They should really take a step at a time. Try to stabilise Vista first before moving on to a new OS. Vista is still unable to run a great deal of games from what I have heard.

And there is this period when I was selling acer laptops with Vista preloaded, and I have quite a few customers asking whether they can downgrade to XP.
FunDa
New computers are coming with an option to downgrade [Wink] from Windows Vista to XP.

They finally realized that Vista is not as good as it is cracked up to be... Uses up a lot of RAM too..

But security is rellly better on Vista than on Windows XP - I have to say that is really a big Plus point
xbcd
Vienna may be the product to bring Microsoft back into the running for me. I still use XP cause its nice and stable but i want to start using Ubuntu.
J-Evil
Even when "Vienna" comes out, I will still be using my desktop XP Wink

Theres no real need even, to use Vista. as long as you keep your system patched through microsoft update and your firewall up to date.
LostOverThere
J-Evil wrote:
Even when "Vienna" comes out, I will still be using my desktop XP Wink

Theres no real need even, to use Vista. as long as you keep your system patched through microsoft update and your firewall up to date.

I agree, the only updating of operating systems I'll be doing is upgrading Ubuntu.
twinkle99
Microsoft is going to release Windows Vieena/ Windows Update to 7

Any way. Micorsoft is going to release an updated version of boring Vista. So. the chanches are that
we are going to see another vista. in 2009. Because Microsoft has totally lost their Meaning of simpicity.

The before Best simple OS : Windows 98,Windows XP,
The best Server Platform: Windows 2000 Advance Server, Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition

But Now the worst OS: Microsoft Vista

Overall Microsoft Products are far most better then using Linux.
Because It is more simple and more stable. Even a new user can use it

So. Hope that The comming windows 7 will be another Windows XP and not windows Vista.
LostOverThere
twinkle99 wrote:
Microsoft is going to release Windows Vieena/ Windows Update to 7

Any way. Micorsoft is going to release an updated version of boring Vista. So. the chanches are that
we are going to see another vista. in 2009. Because Microsoft has totally lost their Meaning of simpicity.

The before Best simple OS : Windows 98,Windows XP,
The best Server Platform: Windows 2000 Advance Server, Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition

But Now the worst OS: Microsoft Vista

Overall Microsoft Products are far most better then using Linux.
Because It is more simple and more stable. Even a new user can use it

So. Hope that The comming windows 7 will be another Windows XP and not windows Vista.

What the hell...Windows more stable then Linux? You're joking. Laughing

I use Linux, its faster, safer, more stable. The only reason people use Windows and not Linux is because Microsoft has grabbed control of the computer market.

Besides, Ubuntu is easier then Vista in my humble opinion.
daviosoftware
I have one comment about the current Microsoft policy.
In the past Microsoft concentrated on keeping compatibility. In the early windows series they had some exceptions for individual programs, by checking for them and creating the right environment to run them. In the latest years the compatibility has been disregarded and for me, as a SW Developer for windows application this is a big issue.
The stability of the operating system is important for servers, where Linux rules, but for the average user in a big company Windows is perfect as long as he can run his applications.
nbeerbower
FunDa wrote:
New computers are coming with an option to downgrade [Wink] from Windows Vista to XP.

They finally realized that Vista is not as good as it is cracked up to be... Uses up a lot of RAM too..

But security is rellly better on Vista than on Windows XP - I have to say that is really a big Plus point

Seriously? I haven't seen anything like this.

Anyway, I also use Linux (Ubuntu more specifically) but I dual boot it with XP. Vista is a huge hog and it's amazing how many programs didn't run with it. I love Ubuntu, it's faster and safer, but I just wish it could run Windows programs as well as Windows. Razz
TheForgottenArts
I don't quite see why Microsoft is undergoing this new project of making a new OS right after the failure and hatred of Vista...*shakes head*
Ankhanu
Working on a new OS from scratch... am I the only one who thinks this might be a GOOD idea?
Yeah, XP was pretty good (eventually), 98 and 2000 were pretty good (again, eventually)... but maybe it's time for a whole new, more efficient, design. Windows has been plagued by all kinds of problems for years. Perhaps part of the problem is their essential framework. Vista will become more stable and better supported. Just because they're focusing on a new OS does not mean they won't support Vista until it's released; have no fears, Windows users. We'll have to wait and see how the driver situation pans out; it may not be as dire as a lot of you are predicting.

People fear change, it's true... but sometimes an overhaul is required.

As for how Microsoft got to be the major OS company... well, that has less to do with software quality than it has to do with some amazing business manipulation. You're right, they're not stupid, but they're better at running a business than creating software.
LostOverThere
Ankhanu wrote:
am I the only one who thinks this might be a GOOD idea?

Yes.

If you look at Microsoft software, as I said earlier, it's just getting worse. In my humble opinion, Windows 98 was the best. 2000/ME was a disaster, and XP wasn't much better either. Vista was complete crap. I think that Microsoft had some semi-decent framework, but if they're going again, it looks like we'll just see even more bloat.

But yes, they're better at running a business then creating software.
Ankhanu
I dunno, I'll hold out some hope that a complete restart will actually work to remove all the crap that they've been piling onto their existing frame works, diminishing the bloat and crud. As you said, their last good product was years ago, and they've been putting out worse and worse products... using their EXISTING framework... Perhaps the only way they'll get back to making quality OSes is to abandon the crap they've been building and start with a fresh concept and build it right from the start.

Is it a pipe dream?

Probably, but that's why I mostly use MacOS and Linux, and old versions of Windows Razz
xbcd
If they succeed they might even make it faster and smaller then a lot of Linux distros but its unlikely. Since if they did within 6 months people would have reworked linux distros to run faster and be much smaller. I don't see Vienna coming out in time to make a significant difference tho.

as for linux games If a developer made games for linux they couldn't charge unless they made proprietary (although a way around that is Opens source engine and you buy the actual game, that way it works on all OS)
fadirocks
How about MS stick what they do best is to copy off ideas from Apple & Linux and forget about creating original ideas!!! Do you know what just get Mac OS X in their development and rename it to Windows Laughing here we go JOB WELL DONE!!!
orcaz
Bones wrote:
Agreed win2k and XP are both way more stable than 98 ever was. I think it's a great thing that they are talking about reqriting the OS from the ground up. It's about time we got something new from Microsoft.

imo, windows 2000 and xp are the most stable windows currently. 98 was horrible as i encountered lots of bsods when using it.
carlospro7
new os in mind already?? vista just came out. I do agree that microsoft's products haven't been quite as good lately. I do think, however, that microsoft could make a better operating systen if they started from scratch, well not entirely from scratch. We'll see if this future os will be any better
LostOverThere
carlospro7 wrote:
new os in mind already?? vista just came out. I do agree that microsoft's products haven't been quite as good lately. I do think, however, that microsoft could make a better operating systen if they started from scratch, well not entirely from scratch. We'll see if this future os will be any better

...You're saying Vista is good? Rolling Eyes
DarkAkira
fadirocks wrote:
How about MS stick what they do best is to copy off ideas from Apple & Linux and forget about creating original ideas!!! Do you know what just get Mac OS X in their development and rename it to Windows Laughing here we go JOB WELL DONE!!!

That made me giggle a little.
{name here}
carlospro7 wrote:

The new version is going to be based on a completely new kernel rather than the old NT Kernel that every OS has been using. The thing is really old, but stable nonetheless (this isn't that crap kernel they put into the Windows 9x series). I don't see why the need to reinvent the wheel when they've got something that works. They just need to refine it, refine it, refine it.