FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Kanye's new album! Graduation

ZeroXD
I think his new album is fantastic! After just a couple of days listening to that tracks I love allof them except for a couple which are still alright.

If your into hip hop at all I highly suggest you check out his album and if you like it buy it! After hearing about 50 cent taking shots at Kanye, I've been hoping with all my might that Kanye outsells him... and it coming true! It's because his album is great.... 50's cd isnt bad probably.. but his lyrics never hold any weight to them... they are all catchy tunes, but that's all i think they are.. music you listen to in a club, not something you draw inspiration from.

My current favorite song is Homecoming( with many very close behind ) If you have listened to it, whats your favorite song?
coreymanshack
ZeroXD wrote:
I think his new album is fantastic! After just a couple of days listening to that tracks I love allof them except for a couple which are still alright.

If your into hip hop at all I highly suggest you check out his album and if you like it buy it! After hearing about 50 cent taking shots at Kanye, I've been hoping with all my might that Kanye outsells him... and it coming true! It's because his album is great.... 50's cd isnt bad probably.. but his lyrics never hold any weight to them... they are all catchy tunes, but that's all i think they are.. music you listen to in a club, not something you draw inspiration from.

My current favorite song is Homecoming( with many very close behind ) If you have listened to it, whats your favorite song?

I too liked this album. Kanye Kanye Kanye~!
deStructuralized
I liked maybe one or two songs off of this record...I have not been impressed by Kanye lately and this album reinforced my opinion of him.

I'm surprised people are even comparing this album to 50's, because they're the exact same. There's no depth behind these songs whatsoever. Just a bunch of stroking his own ego, but doing it in a more flamboyant manner than other rappers usually do.

The beats are good, but...this is nothing compared to Dropout or even Registration.
tingkagol
The lyrics on this album are going downhill. Kanye's pretty creative with the beats though.

Dropout is still the sh!t.
McDucque
First Off, Kanye's first album will always be my favorite out of them all. The album is amazing track for track, and so far is my favorite Rap album of this decade.

Late Registration, Every single, I liked, a couple of the collaborations were bleh, but I still liked it all and all. If anything it made me want to keep Dropout in my car cd player for another few months in a row.

Now to Graduation. The beats and samples used for the songs are awesome, and one of the odd instances in a rap album where I know what songs were used for them. The album is top notch all the way up until Barry Bonds... and then it goes downhill, way downhill at the terrible collaboration of Homecoming with Coldplays Chris Martin. I hear Homecoming is the next single, which is a bad idea. There's no video for The Good Life, which is a much more singlefriendly track... Hell, Hype Williams and Lionel Richie are buddies, He'd be in the video if they released Champion as a single. After getting through the album, I was disappointed to see Bittersweet - Kanye Ft. John Mayer - didnt make it onto the album. It couldve replaced Homecoming as the slower track of the album and wouldve made a much more successful video. Coldplay isnt nearly as popular as they were, and I never liked them all too fondly.

I'd put Graduation at the bottom of the 3 albums, but its still a great album and MUCH better than Before Curtis. Im okay with 50 cent, but his albums are getting steadily worse. His recent single with.... Robin Thicke? lame.
ZeroXD
deStructuralized wrote:
I liked maybe one or two songs off of this record...I have not been impressed by Kanye lately and this album reinforced my opinion of him.

I'm surprised people are even comparing this album to 50's, because they're the exact same. There's no depth behind these songs whatsoever. Just a bunch of stroking his own ego, but doing it in a more flamboyant manner than other rappers usually do.

The beats are good, but...this is nothing compared to Dropout or even Registration.

While I agree this isn't better then his previous cds, I don't see him going downhill as badly as you all make it seem like.

While its true this "rivalry" between kanye and 50 have me supporting kanye to an unsually high amount, I find it very hard to see how 50 and kanye's lyrics are "exactly" the same.

50 cents lyrics are purely for entertainment. He rarely, if ever, raps about anything in his "real" life or his experiences. I've read or seen at least a couple times where 50 claims this fact. He doesn't use drugs in real life (and i think he's actually very against poluting his body), but raps about it to cater to his potential fanbase. Now if that isn't a blatant sell-out of your own values.. i dunno what is. Kanye's lyrics on the other hand for the most part have to deal with his life and his past experience, be it good or bad ones. You actually get a sense of him and his values of sort. Now to compare the two artists and their lyrics as "exactly the same" really shocks me.
molif
i definitely prefer this album to his previous album.
deStructuralized
ZeroXD wrote:
Kanye's lyrics on the other hand for the most part have to deal with his life and his past experience, be it good or bad ones. You actually get a sense of him and his values of sort. Now to compare the two artists and their lyrics as "exactly the same" really shocks me.

That was true for his older work, but it shouldn't surprise you that I'm saying their new work is identical.

Bragging vaguely about yourself (Stronger)
Bragging about your money (Good Life)
Bragging about how many hits you've had (Barry Bonds)
Bragging vaguely about yourself (I Wonder)
Bragging about your money (Can't Tell Me Nothing)
Bragging about how you compare against your "mentor" (Big Brother)

I have no doubt in my mind that 50's album touches upon ALL of those topics, and with the same degree of "depth."

I don't think I can think of a single rapper--other than maybe Diddy--whose rhymes are more "strictly for entertainment" than Kanye West, at least nowadays. We're talking about the performer who compares himself to Michael Jackson, here. He's not out to be lyrical, he's out to sound "fly" on his recordings.

If you want a good hip hop record to listen to on a lyrical AND musical level, listen to Ultimate Victory.
twisthigh
Although, I find him quite cocky... they man is a talented, he's a musical genius. The song "Can't Tell Me Nothing" is absolutely amazing, I way prefer it to "Stronger", however that one seems to be doing very well in the billboard charts. His new album sure did beat 50 Cent's, probably because when he raps he actually has something decent and differente to say other than rapping about gangstas, pimps and hos on polls like 50 does.
MYP415
His new album is great, he will definetely beat 50. I especially like the song homecoming which features the guy from Coldplay.
poly
It s not too bad, I guess, some pretty good songs included.
KnowingGuy
By far the best produced album by him. Kanye continues to involve as a producer.

I hate to break it to you, but this guy doesn't know how to make impressive lyrics. I love how he's just talking about the same old crap everyone else talks about yet he gets praised.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm a real listener. I don't really care for your production unless you're gonna show emotion and lyricism. Kanye doesn't do any of those two.

Its a shame, really. This is easily the best produced rap album this year, behind the DJ Jazzy Jeff album.
rawness617
[quote="deStructuralized"]
ZeroXD wrote:

Bragging vaguely about yourself (Stronger)
Bragging about your money (Good Life)
Bragging about how many hits you've had (Barry Bonds)
Bragging vaguely about yourself (I Wonder)
Bragging about your money (Can't Tell Me Nothing)
Bragging about how you compare against your "mentor" (Big Brother)

I think you missed the point with pretty much all of those songs.

I really liked this album. I'd put it above Late Registration, and just behind College Dropout.

I was surprised he left the song with John Mayer ("Bittersweet") off the album. That probably would've been the best song on the album
deStructuralized
Okay, so why don't you tell me what "the actual point" of those songs was?

Kanye attempts to explore several topics on this album, but he never does so with depth, emotional appeal, or any degree of profound commentary. He glosses over topics. And he does so with the same topics several times. On an intellectual and stylistic level, tell me how Curtis is any different.

Fact is, music is so watered down nowadays that people will literally grasp at straws for recordings "with a message" or "with consciousness." It's gotten to the point where a rapper is considered socially aware if his lyrics are benign. Or people will believe he has a message because he seems to have a topic in mind.

Sorry rap game, I haven't lowered my standards any. The absence of negativity does not automatically make your shit positive. The fact that your song isn't titled "Bling Bling," and that you talk about Bape instead of ice, doesn't detract from the truth: you're doing exactly what Cash Money Millionaires used to, but wearing X-ray sunglasses instead of a grill.

People keep crying out for change, but the game will never stop unraveling as long as the public continues to accept and praise sloppiness.
xAntoIn3x
a very unique rapper, but not talented with the lyrical flow aspect of rapping
pythagore
i like italot