FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux Mint

LostOverThere
Anyone tried Linux Mint? I'm using it right now. It is based on Ubuntu and focuses on elegance and straight out of the box usability (Media codecs, etc, installed).

There's a GNOME, KDE and Xfce version. I'd recommend it (I'm using the KDE edition). It's really worth a try.
AftershockVibe
I'm quite impressed. I might give it a go.

I have Kubuntu running on one of my machines at the moment (I wanted to do some KDE programming) and the menu organisation is a complete mess.

Do you know if it links straight to the ubuntu repositories or does it have it's own vetting process?
mehulved
AftershockVibe wrote:
Do you know if it links straight to the ubuntu repositories or does it have it's own vetting process?
From what I know, it uses Ubuntu repositories only. Why would they go for separate repositories. As it is, Linux Mint is Ubuntu.
LostOverThere
mehulved wrote:
AftershockVibe wrote:
From what I know, it uses Ubuntu repositories only. Why would they go for separate repositories. As it is, Linux Mint is Ubuntu.

Yes it uses the same Repositories as well as the Software Portal.

Oh, and AftershockVibe, I used to use Kubuntu. But trust me, Linux Mint's menu is layed out a lot better, as you can see in the screens.
[FuN]goku
Hmm, i may give this a try, if its based on ubuntu, then its based on debian, so it should be fun to fiddle around with. Ive heard of it but i've never actually got a chance to try it out.
ammonkc
This looks really nice. How would I benefit from using Mint over just a plain Ubuntu distro? I'll admit that I haven't tried it or looked at it too much, but it looks like ubuntu with a "mint" theme. are there any other advantages to this distro?
LostOverThere
ammonkc wrote:
This looks really nice. How would I benefit from using Mint over just a plain Ubuntu distro? I'll admit that I haven't tried it or looked at it too much, but it looks like ubuntu with a "mint" theme. are there any other advantages to this distro?

Mint is, as I've said. An out of the box distro, it installs extra plugins, media codecs and other things straight out of the box. It comes with some nice little software pieces installed, is very stable and comes with Beryl. But as well as those, it is very pretty.
infobankr
Does anyone know how well Mint compares to LinuxMCE?

http://linuxmce.com/

I've been meaning to try it out, its an extension to Kubuntu.
coreymanshack
Sounds like I'll stay with ubuntu and install apps when I need them.
ammonkc
How does linux mint compare to Ubuntu studio? ubuntu studio is pretty much the same deal, it takes ubuntu and bundles it with everything you would need for audio, video, graphics design. I might try both of these out in my lab and see how I like them.
Arno v. Lumig
Where did creativity go? There is an enormous increase of Linux distributions build on other distributions, which are built on other distributions and so on. They all claim to be more user friendly then the previous, and they all get bloated and damn slow...

Really sad how this once great OS is going now. Read this article, and you'll know what I'm talking about.
http://www.osnews.com/story.php/7324/The-Fast-Food-Syndrome-The-Linux-Platform-is-Getting-Fat/

And Linux Mint is just another distro in the crowd...
corey
I had Mint installed for a bit. I found that it was kinda neat, although Granular was more fun. The .mint files were helpful, especially when I wanted to try Western Quake3. Mints good, especially if you have a newer machine. On my Pentium 3 1000mkz machine, it was a bit sluggish. I've been running PC Linux OS on it for a long time and its far more responsive, even with Beryl enabled.

Mint is definitely an interesting choice. I wish them the best. I don't think that Ubuntu is going anywhere fast, and Mint is not likely to either. They seem to support newer equipment better than older, though.