You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

the Best Music in 20 Years

Q, a popular music magazine based in England released a list in 2006 of what they think is the best music released since they began around 20 years ago. So... take a look...

November 2006 – Q244

1. Oasis – Definitely Maybe
2. Radiohead – Ok Computer
3. Nirvana – Nevermind
4. U2 – The Joshua Tree
5. Jeff Buckly – Grace
6. U2 – Achtung Baby
7. Radiohead – The Bends
8. Oasis – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory?
9. The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses
10. R.E.M. – Automatic For The People
11. Public Enemy – It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
12. Guns N’ Roses – Appetite For Destruction
13. Coldplay – A Rush Of Blood To The Head
14. The Verve – Urban Hymns
15. Bob Dylan – Time Out Of Mind
16. Red Hot Chilli Peppers – By The Way
17. Prince – Sign O’ The Times
18. Massive Attack – Blue Lines
19. Madonna – Ray Of Light
20. Gorillaz – Demon Days

Singles (Tracks)

1. Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Sprit
2. Outkast – Hey Ya!
3. Guns N’ Roses – Sweet Child Of Mine
4. Massive Attack – Unfinished Sympathy
5. U2 – One
6. Oasis – Live Forever
7. The Verve – Bitter Sweet Symphony
8. Pulp – Common People
9. The La’s – There She Goes
10. The White Stripes – 7 Nation Army
11. Blur – Song 2
12. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
13. Robbie Williams – Angles
14. Britney Spears - …Baby One More Time
15. Depeche Mode – Personal Jesus
16. Madonna – Like A Prayer
17. The Prodigy – Firestarter
18. Cornershop – Brimful Of Asha
19. Eminem – Stan
20. Arctic Monkeys – I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor

I think that there are a lot of great songs on there. The only one I might replace is the Britney Spears song. Apart from that, it's all music I grew up with and love. It doesn't really sum up everything I listen to, but its a great list.

The fact that there is no mention of Pearl Jam on that list makes it a totally bogus one. They are arguably the best band in the world over the last 10 years. Also, no Dave Matthews is a sin!
You can't compare one song from one genre with another one from another genre >_> IMO, none of the songs listed (that means, of them I've heard) are even listenable.
okay, pearl jam is one of my favorites, but i can definitely see them not being on this list. i didn't much care for their most recent album, honestly.

i am so psyched to see oasis number one on that list. i can get behind definitely maybe being one of the best albums from the last 20 years for sure. i can even get behind it being number one, it is a great album.

and a great gorillaz album on there! i probably would have picked a different prince album, though - not a listener, though i can admit the man's got some talent and dedication. if not for britney spears on there, i would totally be convinced to move to england for the music. still leaning towards canada currently. ;p
Remember, this was a popular music magazine. Although it does include songs that are arguably in different genres... what does it matter about genres anyway?
haha, I thought you meant that the magazine was popular. Not about popular music. Wink
There is just far too much music around these days in so many different genres that it is actually physically impossible to draw up a list of the "best" songs/albums.

Even if you do, you never get agreement from everyone so therefore it must be wrong!
Of course, its just opinions of music critics, don't take it too seriously. I like Oasis but saying they have the best album of the last 20 years doesn't really feel right.