FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Google Gunning For Directories?

argha
Why is it that webmasters are so quick to blame Google if their website falls down the search rankings, or out of the rankings altogether? Can it never be their own fault?

I read an amusing forum post headed “What’s up with Google?”. The writer had a website just 2 months old, which had only had 2 visits from Googlebot, a Google robot. The poster was a bit grieved, and was blaming Google.

It seems they had extrapolated their own situation into one they had witnessed with other webmasters on another forum. They were also upset, this time by Google’s latest update, as their websites had been badly hit. Of course, the drop way down the rankings had seriously affected their income
James Bond-007
I don'y see why this is in the Advertise your website forum...

Moved to General Chat...
Bondings
Honestly, if I were google, I would also target directories. It's the most easy way to gain a lot of links. Frihost is listed in a lot of directories. Some directories are only made for webmasters and get no "real" traffic.
althalus
argha wrote:
I read an amusing forum post headed “What’s up with Google?”. The writer had a website just 2 months old, which had only had 2 visits from Googlebot, a Google robot. The poster was a bit grieved, and was blaming Google.

Something I find rather amusing, I have had 229+2 (dunno what the +2 is about) hits from Googlebot since I got my hosting at Frihost, and I have litterarely no content on my site, pretty much just a template. I guess that is enough, but still... I have more hits from robots than hits from actual people Very Happy
HunnyBaby
yeah really well I dont get many hits from googlebots but if google was doing that it wouldnt be a problem with me... its all business
ignition
I've gotten 700 something googlebot hits. What they hell are those for, anyways - just indexing your site?
Dragonfly
I thought of making a new post on googlebot but I searched the forums and found few of them and this is where discussion on googlebot is going on. I would just add few lines of grief here.

Well, I maintain 5 websites and 4 of them are visited frequently by googlebot but the latest website which I've registered some two weeks ago never get any visit from the googlebot. However, many people have visited this site using msn search, where the search keywords aren't even the top level domain name itself. When I search the name of the domain in msn, it index at the top while google never index this site. I really wonder what went wrong with google that it doesn't visit this site nor index it in the search result.

I also came to know that the domain I'm talking about was opering sometime ago by some other people and they'd abandoned it and never bother to renew for more than a year. That's how I could have this domain. I wonder if they had done anything illegal with google and its bot in the past...

I would really welcome some inputs from experts. Thank you.
Monkeydog
I don't think google has ever checked my site.Not that I care much
*deep inside cares alot*
Dragonfly
Monkeydog wrote:
I don't think google has ever checked my site.Not that I care much
*deep inside cares alot*

Yes Monkeydog, every webmasters want google to be friendly with them, atleast not turning its back on their websites.
Monkeydog
OMG I searched on Google and they do care about my site(although I found out I messed up on the title the other day so it's all messed up >.>)
I don't know about you problem though.
Mabye you should send the URL to google?If you have a subdomain send that to google instead.
bigdan
I've had a few websites in the past...most of them now ghost sites, but somehow they've managed to find my sites and put them high enough...
Dragonfly
Monkeydog wrote:

Mabye you should send the URL to google?If you have a subdomain send that to google instead.

Yes good suggestion. But without sending the URL also google used to index other sites. Of course, google will index in directory if they approve it.. but thi s takes a long long time...