FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

U.S. legal question

TheHigherClass
in the United States is it legal to have like a video with pictures that have back grounds of real military base in them? if so please let me know i will really apreachate it.
Kaisonic
I don't see why not. I've never heard any kind of law against that, of course, I've never really been in the military or anything. But here's a hint - if there's a big sign that says "Photography Forbidden" then it's probably not okay to have pictures. But other than that, it should be fine. What's it for?
coolclay
I think it would be fine, but you never know.
silverdown
Never heard it was illegal , I at least don't seem to see a reason why it would be illegal. I mean whoever took the photo must have had the clearance or whatever to get on the base.
damn
i think that's fine, BUT i think also that that will be some bases that video are not allowed and will be other that video is allowed.
i think that if you want real answer u should ask military man Smile
{name here}
TheHigherClass wrote:
in the United States is it legal to have like a video with pictures that have back grounds of real military base in them? if so please let me know i will really apreachate it.

If you're using these videos for educational or parody purposes, you can take the Fair Use legal stance against the photographer, which is hard to bypass if the guy ever figured out you used it. I don't think you'll have much trouble from the government.

If you're using them for mostly entertainment purposes, there might be an issue if the picture is not public domain.

If you take the photo there should be no issues unless there is activity going on which the government is willing to suppress by lawsuit.
TheHigherClass
it was a class field trip to camp penolton a marine base oure teacher is a marine at end of year he pit bunch or those picters into a movie it had tanks and 8th graders holding and clearing firearms is that legal?
achowles
It should be fine. Also worth knowing is that if it was taken by an active serviceman on duty then it falls into the public domain and is free to use.
TheHigherClass
i am using it as like a documentary or my class on youtube and already have a cut version which is kinda boring because i cut out the base and all the good stuff. name is CMI class or pertra21 and yule find it.
TheHigherClass
yes the photos were taken by the marines and a few students.
standready
TheHigherClass wrote:
it was a class field trip to camp penolton a marine base oure teacher is a marine at end of year he pit bunch or those picters into a movie it had tanks and 8th graders holding and clearing firearms is that legal?

As long as there is no sensitive activity going on in the background and teacher/Marine had permission to take picutres, everything should be fine. Military can be a pain sometimes about these things.
Jinx
When I was younger my father was in the Navy and he was posted aboard the USS Wisconsin (BB64). After the Wisconsin was re-commissioned the sailors were allowed to take their families aboard for a Dependant's Cruise out into the Gulf. While we were in port, they very clearly let us know that we were not allowed to take pictures until we were clear of the port because there was a ship under construction that was a new class of warship and was still sensitive information. (This was in Pascagoula, MS, before the first Gulf War). I have also seen places on different military bases where there are prominent signs prohibiting photography, but, for the most part, I don't think there are any laws against taking pictures on most parts of a base... especially if it is an area they are allowing civilians into. Of course, nowadays, it's best to ask permission first just to be on the safe side.

I'd be more worried about the legal ramifications of allowing eighth graders to handle firearms.
TheHigherClass
hum ok i think it will be ok then. because there isn't any think i would consider sensitive. just out side pictures of tanks and the fire arms and some radios and inside of a jeep nothing that really madders. but ime just woried about some marine officer seeing it and getting super mad.
Billwaa
I think it will be fine as long as the military ground is not restricted, such as Area 51, lol.
tony
thats not illegal as far as i know. if it is illegal than that must be a law which i have not heard of ya.. but then you never know about these things as the law is a bit blurred at the time.
Futile
I was stationed at Camp Pendleton for 12 years and if you were allowed to take pictures and videos on that field trip, all the pictures you took will be ok to use in other venues and forums. If you were going to be in any area or section where photography and video were not permitted you would have been informed way in advance and if you had of taken pictures or video you were not suppose too your camera would have been confiscated before you left the base.
achowles
TheHigherClass wrote:
yes the photos were taken by the marines and a few students.

The photos taken by the marines are absolutely fine to use.

Students can still retain copyright if they so choose though.
Donutey
The best way to go about it would be to use a photograph taken by a service member which has been released to the public. That way, you know you can use it, it's in the public domain, and it's most likely a high quality image.