FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good Religious Music

Do you like rock rithm in gospel music?
Yes.
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
No.
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Doesn´t matter, if I like the music.
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Depends on the place I hear it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

volotao
Place a list of good religious (i.e., christian, gospel or erudit) in this forum. You can list musics, composers, albums or whatever you believe should be called "good" music.
volotao
Choir Classic music:
    Messiah (Haendel) is the best.

Choir (Hospital Choir) and male solo:
    Oh, I Want to Know You More
    When His Kingdom Comes

Singer and Quartet:
    Steve Green
    Gaither Vocal Band
    Heritage Singers
guissmo
I Offer My Life To You

Magnificat

and has anyone heard about Apologetix (band)?
Jakob [JaWGames]
It exists a lot of great christian metalband out there like Theocracy, Mortification, Torniquet, Majestic Vanguard and of course Veracious Smile (www.veracious.se)

But my favorite christian band must be Casting Crowns from United Kingdom. They are softer than the ones above but clearly a band worth listening to.
1337Bender
I like The Devil Wears Prada http://thedevilwearspradaband.com there a Christian Metalcore band. My favorite song from them is HTML rulez d00d.
Phil
Delirious. Their first few cds are just awesome.
I really like Lifehouse too.
David Crowder, Jars of Clay, Robbie Seay.

I also really like Matt Redman too.

And when he was alive, Rich Mullins. He has got to be one of the most descriptive Christian songwriters of all time, in my opinion.
And, I don't know how serious you are about your music, but if you ever get a chance to check out Kieth Green you should. His is an amazing testimony.
He died about 25 years ago, and his music is very dated, but it really makes you look inside your heart.
charisco
Oh man, this is a thread just for me.

Let's see, how about:

Day of Fire
Demon Hunter
Eternal Decision
Red
Skillet
12 Stones
Since October
Brim
Kennebec
Invisible Image
Judah First
Jesus Joshua 24:15
August Ending
Seven System
Feast Eternal

I could go on and on. If anyone is into hard rock and metal, I probably know of a Christian band that plays their style.
ddukki
Anything by Shane & Shane is amazing.

Kutless

David Crowder Band*
Chris Tomlin
Christy Nockels
Matt Maher
Charlie Hall
The Almost (some of it is not religious)
Shawn McDonald

In Bold are my favorites
GB
I really like Plumb, Skillet, the Newsboys, Phil Joel, Andy Hunter, Reliant K, Tyler James, Page France, and a bunch of other bands.

Currently, my favorite single is "Sunday" by Tree 63.

As for Classical, I have many favorites. I really like the work of Ralph Vaughn Williams (especially "The Lark Ascending" although it is not an example of one of his hymn tunes), Arvo Pärt's works (especially "Magnificat") and a smattering of other composers.

Good topic, didn't know there were other Christian music fans over here.

*EDIT*
Forgot to mention that if you like indie Christian music, you would like the Bored Again Christian podcast and the Ears to Hear podcast.
karrupin
I like

Shout to the Lord

Give Thanks

Amazing Grace

these songs are really meaningful to me Smile
zeitgeistsa
My favorite is Demon Hunter, love that band!!
Nutteloos
I have recently been listening to a lot of Kutless and I can definitely recommend them. Can't beat Neal Morse though - he's still my all time favorite.
dacode
Hello,

Does Chevelle apply ?
Nutteloos
They sound like an interesting band - I oughtta give them a try sometime. Though they claim their first album was put under a Christian label by mistake. See their wikipedia page.
Phil
I didn't see anyone list Third Day.
I picked up a couple of their early CDs from the 90's and really have been getting into them.
I honestly don't think there was any contemporary Chrstian bands at the time that sounded like them.
Nutteloos
Thanks for keeping this topic alive - I'm still looking for more Christian music and will definitely try some Third Day. Also, when looking at earlier posts I noticed the name Delirious - I think I heard them live once, but I'm not entirely sure.
Phil
Nutteloos wrote:
Thanks for keeping this topic alive - I'm still looking for more Christian music and will definitely try some Third Day. Also, when looking at earlier posts I noticed the name Delirious - I think I heard them live once, but I'm not entirely sure.

A friend turned me on to Delirious back in the early 90's and I just flipped on them.
I remember taking the cassettes he made for me and giving them to my wife to check out. She called me at work and asked, "Where did you get this? This is awesome!"
Their early stuff was really something. Cutting Edge 1 & 2, Cutting Edge 3 & 4 and King of Fools were all incredible. Very rocked up, yet at the same time extremely worshipful. You could really feel the band's heart after God. I've heard many people compare them to early U2.
I've listened to them a little since those first 3 albums, and to be honest, I just don't sense that same passion they had at the beginning.
Dude! Now you've got me thinking about Delirious! Think I'll fire up Winamp right now and do some righteous jamming!
ddukki
Third Day is great. They have a great sense for what sounds good to just sing out or hum. The melodies are fantastic and everyone plays some kind of covers for Third Day.
GB
Yeah, I love Third Day, too. My favorite album of theirs is "Time" which came out awhile ago.
Phil
GB wrote:
Yeah, I love Third Day, too. My favorite album of theirs is "Time" which came out awhile ago.

Belive it or not, I was listening to Skies Fall Down not 20 minutes ago on my MP3 player here at work.
Time has got to be one of my favorite albums also. The wife bought it about 2 months ago after watching that documentory Third Day did on how they started. Can't remember the name right now. It was pretty interesting.
sondosia
I don't really listen to religion music, but I know of Sixpence None the Richer - they're a Christian pop group with a really pleasant, melodic sound and well-written lyrics. They have several beautiful songs - Breathe Your Name and Don't Dream It's Over are my favorites.
GB
@phil:

That's awesome! Third day rocks!
flowerpower
I don't know many groups or singers but my favourites are:

* Hillsong
- Lord of Lords
- Holy, Holy, Holy
- Tell the world
- You are my strength
- Emmanuel
- Wonderful God
- everything to me

* God will make a way
* Amazing Grace
* Shout to the Lord

I'll try to find songs from bands you've all said.
flowerpower
karrupin wrote:
I like

Shout to the Lord

Give Thanks

Amazing Grace

these songs are really meaningful to me Smile

I love these too! They are so beautiful...I think they were among the first religion songs in English I listened as a little girl. My school was a french one, so all religious ceremonies were performed in French and I remember that i found singing "Shout to the Lord" to be so lovely.