FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help - Google not indexing correct text on page.

richard270384
Gday all,

How can I restrict what parts of a page are indexed by google for the description?

Google is showing the first text it finds on the page in its search results. For example, all pages show up like this:

Code:
:: MusicPlace.Co.Nr :: Register
User Name Password Log In Not a member? Register now! Please log in to access member only features. Advertisement. Free Domain Name Address ...

As you can see from my site http://www.musicplace.co.nr that text is irrelevant to the page content.

How can I block google from using text other than the actual content in its indexing?

CHeers,
Richard
brokenadvice
You could try using a description meta tag like so:

<meta name="description" content="Wow Our site ROCKS!!!">

It should work, but remember this is Google.
Peterssidan
Use the meta tag like brokenadvice said.
I think you have used the command site:http://musicplace.my100freemb.com/ to see your pages and then it shows up this. If people use a search string google will show the text on the page that is relevant to the search string. If you using the description meta tag google will show this when the text is relevant to the search or at least more likley then.
littlegiant
Yeah like Peterssidan said. Make sure the keywords you're trying to rank for (or usually rank for) are somewhere in the middle of the META description tag. Then you have a good chance of getting the entire description show up under your link in Google search results pages. This is really valuable in that you can basically add an extra little message below your linked title in Google search results which you can use for some kind of call-to-action to get more visitors to your site. And as far as I can tell, there's about a 150 character limit on how much of the META description Google will display.