FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Changing File Permissions

RiCtee
Hey all!! I just brought a new computer and I connected my old IDE hard drive to it as a secondary drive. My problem is I can't access those files in the old hard drive because I don't have the permissions as the users are different.

So is there anyway to change or delete every single file and folder's permissions all together, instead of manually changing them one by one. All help appreciated. Very Happy
kizarop
Give us more details like operating system , i guess it's windows 5.0+
Ranfaroth
If it's a Unix-like system, it will be really easy (chown -R ...)
mystzero
If you are using Windows XP, just fire up command prompt and type in cacls <file or folder name> /grant <username>:F /T where <username> is your username and <file or folder name> is the name of the file or folder which you want to perform this operation on. This operation will be performed on all subfolders and files as the /T parameter permits it.
If you are using Windows Vista, just replace cacls with icacls.
RiCtee
Oh sorry, I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2.
mystzero wrote:
If you are using Windows XP, just fire up command prompt and type in cacls <file or folder name> /grant <username>:F /T where <username> is your username and <file or folder name> is the name of the file or folder which you want to perform this operation on. This operation will be performed on all subfolders and files as the /T parameter permits it.

That looks like the solution!! Does this work with a whole drive eg. D Drive? And is there a way to delete a user because it shows as something like S-1-5-21-583907252-....
mystzero
Quote:
That looks like the solution!! Does this work with a whole drive eg. D Drive? And is there a way to delete a user because it shows as something like S-1-5-21-583907252-....

Yes. It will work. If it's D:\ and everything under it, just type replace <file or folder name> as stated above with D:\ and don't forget to add the /T parameter if you want the operation to be performed recursively. And, if you want to delete a user from the ACL, what you need to do is just replace /grant <username or sid>:F with /remove <username or sid>.
fadirocks
other way around this

open any Folder then goto explorer menu Tools --> Folder Options --> View --> scroll the way down to "use simple file sharing" and uncheck it!!! Now you can have more controls over folders permissions by just right clicking on a folder --> properties --> security!!!!

cheers
blueray
fadirocks wrote:
other way around this

open any Folder then goto explorer menu Tools --> Folder Options --> View --> scroll the way down to "use simple file sharing" and uncheck it!!! Now you can have more controls over folders permissions by just right clicking on a folder --> properties --> security!!!!

cheers

Hi,

If you haven't family with the command-line method before.
This method should be much better because it allow you
selectitiy which files or folder you have to update or changed
permission to.

As this should be a long time task if you have a lot of files
inside the drive.
internetjobs
first you enable security on that drive by modifying folder options. then take owner ship and change permission to full access to administrator. you can do it only by loging ad local administrator.. or if u have domain.. then do it by domain administrator loging..
RiCtee
Cacls.exe works like a charm. Very Happy But now I have some files that I can't change. It says "ACCESS DENIED:" then the file name. I believe that the problem is that I'm not the owner of the files. So is there a way to batch set me as the owner of the files?
mystzero
RiCtee wrote:
Cacls.exe works like a charm. Very Happy But now I have some files that I can't change. It says "ACCESS DENIED:" then the file name. I believe that the problem is that I'm not the owner of the files. So is there a way to batch set me as the owner of the files?

Too bad XP doesn't include a command line utility like takeown.exe by default to easily take ownership of subfolders and files in a folder. Well, maybe you could obtain this utility by downloading the Windows Resource Kit Tools.