FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sort of a wierd question for a frih admin.

[FuN]goku
Okay , ive been developing this game for about, say 2 weeks or less , in VB.NET and using SDL.NET as a graphics engine (thats sort of irrelevant) but anyways, i was gonna make a site for my game on frihost as my other host closed me down, but im just wondering if its appropriate to put on the site... Uhm my game is based on hacking and it has 3 gameplay paths black hat, white hat , and grey hat, sort of like the game uplink if anyones ever played it, and i know that frihost has strict rules against this kind of stuff so im wondering if its alright to have a page and download on my game, its not as if the game is harmful, just the concepts in the game could be something that could lead to harm, like ideas of..... well nm i dont wanna get into detail on the forums cuz i know this kind of talk isnt allowed, but yeah. Im guessing you guys are going to say no , but since i dont have any other place to host it at the moment, i thought i may as well give it a try and ask here.

Thanks in advance,
-oMejA
Bondings
The hacking in the game is virtual, right? In that case it's allowed.
[FuN]goku
Bondings wrote:
The hacking in the game is virtual, right? In that case it's allowed.

Uh yeah it is, though it will have network play i havent decided at this point yet as im not sure it will be secure and if i do ill have to take the precaution of testing it for any flaws to make it as safe as possible.
Its sort of like, those games like... Uplink or uhm..... whats another... Digital Hazard.
Bockman
As for network play, we need to clear out how if you intend to have the game server on Frihost or if it'll be a p2p connection (direct linking amongst players, possibly one acting as server).
Using your hosting as a game server may cause some stress on the server and that needs to be studied to avoid causing problems to other members.

As for the type of game, i don't see a reason why it would be disallowed. I'll be testdriving it when I get a chance. UpLink was a great game (I still have it).

Be Well Cool
[FuN]goku
Well i dont see how i would host it on frihost anyways... i was planning on p2p, 1 on 1 vs match or something like that where you try to break in to the other persons pc, like if you're a blackhat you have a more agressive attack or if your a whitehat, your 'virtual pc' is more secure. Though i had ideas of making a mysql based one but i scrapped this idea cuz its not too secure, and mysql is slow sometimes, i made a chat app in vb/mysql and it lags even on high speed. Uhm also, back to the network play, i was also thinking of making it internet compatible as well so you could host a server and maybe have a limit of.... say 10-15 people on one server. Of course none of the network play is planned for beta 1, for that im gonna have, a UI, a couple missions for each.... hat.... and have a couple different tools and things like that. then beta 2 ill have something a little more advanced, and i may have a basic network engine running by then for 1 on 1 play only and it would be more or less , a chance to see if its going to be safe.

Other than that.... the only thing i can think of ... is i may put an auto-updater into the game , where it visits a php page gets the current game build then if its not equal on the client then it will download the update which wouldnt be too big of file.. im guessing anywhere from... 500-1024 kb.
Bockman
the auto-updater isn't a problem i guess. it will only consume your bandwidth.

The server is something that will need to be reviewed (I'm guessing you'll do some sort of hub?) because this one may actually put some stress on the server. Oh, and it Will fire up your bandwidth usage if you plan on making all the traffic run from there.

I'm not saying it won't be possible, but we need to see how the servers reacts to it (so don't go public untill it's tested with us).

Be Well Cool
Bondings
As long as you stay beneath the maximum 10GB of bandwidth, then there is no problem with distributing the file.

Using our mysql database for the game is not a good idea, though. That would take a lot of resources.
[FuN]goku
Bockman wrote:

The server is something that will need to be reviewed (I'm guessing you'll do some sort of hub?) because this one may actually put some stress on the server. Oh, and it Will fire up your bandwidth usage if you plan on making all the traffic run from there.

I'm not saying it won't be possible, but we need to see how the servers reacts to it (so don't go public untill it's tested with us).

And by 'The server' do you mean, like... the serverside app for ehm... network/internet play or are you reffering to one of the frih servers or....? im just trying to make sure we're on the right book here , cuz you have me a bit confused lol.

But as far as your second bit of text goes there, i got a few testers that will be testing the game, most likely a few people from here, a group of people who are helping me with the game concepts and know what tool's are used in real hacking etc.... and then a few friends from a gaming community are testing for me as well, and i basically want them to go nuts with it, and try whatever they can to find exploits in the game and get them reported to me... what i think i actually might do, is when i get around to the site, ill set up a bug report page for beta testers.
Bockman
What i meant for the first part of the text (and the second too) is:

We (Frihost) need to make sure that your app server will not be too resource intensive on frihost servers. High resource comsuming app's will cause problems to our other users and we can't allow that. I didn't want to close the door on this project, therefor i said that for you to implement this app server we would need to test it prior to you launching it. What i mean by this is that if and when you get this running, WE (frihost admins, most likely Bondings) need to be warned about this situation AND online to check the server to see if we can allow this app server to be hosted with us.
I'm not saying you can't use your friends to test run it, just that when that happens, a Frihost Admin MUST be monitoring the server.

Be Well Cool
[FuN]goku
Ah k, well the only thing that will have to do with the frihost server, is the game update, which as i said will probably be 500 kb - 1 meg , and the original download , im not too sure yet how big it will be, im guessing, with all the graphics, anywhere from 5-15 meg. Uhm, but other than that there will probably be nothing else that 'interacts' with the frihost server. Except maybe a news page, which uses the web-client in the .NET language to grab a php page which has plain text on it, and then just display it in the game window. or something like that.
Bockman
you could go for a p2p connection for them to "attack" themselves within the game.. and for more than 2 players (I actually think this would defeat the purpose of this game, this is usually a one-on-one kinda thing) you could have one of the users be the server.

As for the updates and game, it's simple bandwith, no real stress on the server. the news page won't be a problem either (although i'd suggest using rss feeds)

Be Well Cool
[FuN]goku
Bockman wrote:
you could go for a p2p connection for them to "attack" themselves within the game.. and for more than 2 players (I actually think this would defeat the purpose of this game, this is usually a one-on-one kinda thing) you could have one of the users be the server.

As for the updates and game, it's simple bandwith, no real stress on the server. the news page won't be a problem either (although i'd suggest using rss feeds)

Be Well Cool
Yeah i know, p2p was my original way to go, and i never really thought on how i could get more than 2 people in it, but i may change my mind and make it for more than 2.